New show on FOX "Dollhouse" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

New show on FOX "Dollhouse"

First show last Friday right after Terminator at 9pm

Not bad for the first episode but need to see more episode before judging.

Always nice to see Eliza Dushku .

HL-R5064+DTB-260F,HL67A750,DVD-HD860,SA-DA10,Cable Free! ,OTA-DBGH,AT-PL120 A-Technica , OTA HTCP, PS3 Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 12:03 PM

I watched it - after the first 15 - 20 minutes I thought it'd be more exciting to watch paint dry, but then it picked up and I was sucked right in.

I'm hearing that this episode wasn't great because Fox insisted on Whedon making some changes, but that the next episodes are really good.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 12:08 PM
Veteran

The first half was pretty slow, and they really didn't justify the "dollhouse" concept IMHO.

The storyline picked up, and it ended up being a somewhat interesting story. However, the interesing part seemed to have nothing to do with the "dollhouse" concept.

The first episode seemed to lack a lot of the things that made Wheaton (sp?) shows interesting, including the banter and joking. Plus, there was just too many elements that felt like they were done to a formula used in other shows, such as the oddball FBI agent who is looking for the Dollhouse. Did not feel like a Joss show - again, IMHO.

Reports elsewhere indicate that the show didn't do well for ratings. Not sure what to expect, but unless it picks up, we may need to do a Serenity on it, and see it on DVD.....

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 12:40 PM
Veteran

This show sort of reminds me of an Alias type of storyline.

Not bad...but the jury's still out.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 01:03 PM

Just checked the ratings and noticed that "Dollhouse" actually did better than "Terminator", but that could be just because of the first episode hype. Fox came in third for both hours.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
This show sort of reminds me of an Alias type of storyline.
I was thinking early episodes of Alias as well.

Definitely has potential. I wasn't too impressed with the first one, but am willing to give it another shot.

Lots of hype, little delivery. If I hadn't read stuff online, I'm not sure I would have appreciated the episode as much. They didin't do much to "intro" the whole premise of the show. I expected a lot more background information.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 02:45 PM

Yes, the first 15 minutes were very disjointed and did not make a lot of sense. But maybe that was intentional because of the subject matter. I felt Eliza was pretty bad, especially during her whole scene where she was talking to Olivia about 'joining up'.

Overall I thought it was rather poor. But it was a pilot, so we'll see where it goes from here.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Fox insisted on Whedon making some changes
thats wonderful, it'll be firefly all over again. i thought he said he'd never work with fox again.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 01:16 AM

Quote:
thats wonderful, it'll be firefly all over again. i thought he said he'd never work with fox again.
That's one of the reasons I don't have high hopes for the series. Firefly, a Whedon show got mucked about with by Fox and was cancelled after less than a full season. Tru Calling, a Dushku show was also cancelled by Fox after a season and a half. Okay, TC was a little repetitive, but it got really interesting in its second season. Firefly was good from the start and only got better. How will Dollhouse fare with this idiot network constantly demanding changes and Survivor-type ratings?

So, that reason, plus the fact that the show seemed a little bland for a Joss Whedon show. Still, I'm more than willing to give it more chances. Joss' name is enough to make me follow it forever.

And the fact that Eliza looked smokin' in that little white dress at the club . . . that's good too.

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAND View Post
Yes, the first 15 minutes were very disjointed and did not make a lot of sense. But maybe that was intentional because of the subject matter. I felt Eliza was pretty bad, especially during her whole scene where she was talking to Olivia about 'joining up'.
Personally, it seemed like she was half-asleep thought many of the first sequences! Eyes half open, responding slowly, etc. Definitely something lacking.

The actress really came out in the second half of the show. By the end of the show, she was almost believeable.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 11:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
Personally, it seemed like she was half-asleep thought many of the first sequences! Eyes half open, responding slowly, etc. Definitely something lacking.
I thought that was on purpose during their "erased/standby" state......
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 12:46 AM

Exactly. While at the Dollhouse, they are blank slates, it seems -- little personality, limited engagement with their environment. Before their missions, they're implanted with different personalities. So it could be fun watching Eliza playing a huge variety of people through the course of the series.

But I like the idea that Echo will start to remember things and let that bleed into her missions. Could be fun. But heck, it's Joss Whedon, I'm always gonna watch his stuff!

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosborne View Post
I thought that was on purpose during their "erased/standby" state......
Agreed, one could excuse this during standby state. Not sure I agree 100%, but it might be consistent with the world they are creating.

However, I am also referring to the first asignment, with the bike race and dancing. She is moving physically, but she almost seems to be "going through the motions", looking half asleep and just doing what director told her to do, not becoming the character.

That is a big part of why the first part of the episode was boring and uninteresting - the actress was not there yet, IMHO.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-20, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
the actress was not there yet, IMHO.
Yeah, I'm not a big Eliza fan from previous shows either. Could be worse, but I think there are better alternatives out there as well.

In all fairness though, this was epsode #1 so we can only hope things get better.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-02-20, 10:45 AM
Veteran

I have enjoyed everything Joss has done, and think that Serenity is a classic. I am really hoping that Dollhouse does well.

However, episode 1 of Dollhouse was not a "Joss" show, IMHO. Unless he has sold out to Fox completely and this is what we can expect in the future...

The catch is - if Dollhouse becomes a "Joss" show, will it survive? Friday is a tough night, and Joss's vision can be a little....different?....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in