Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada.

View Single Post
post #52 of (permalink) Old 2017-01-06, 08:09 PM
TorontoColin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
That may be almost true in the US but it's a gross exaggeration for Canada.
For purchasing individual content, there is almost no difference between Canada and the US. Again, Google Play Movies, which works on almost every platform available, has almost every major movie or TV show available. There are some exceptions, but most TV shows are $30-50 per season or less, and most movies are $10-20. There are also regular sales. It is not necessarily cheap, but this stuff isn't cheap to produce, and if people aren't going to be sharing the burden via large cable bills, then the economics dictate that individual costs need to be higher. If you are a heavy user of TV, then you should subscribe to cable, you'll get good value from it.

Yes, there is the risk that you could buy something and then it turns up on Netflix the next day, but that's hardly new. 10 years ago you could buy a movie on DVD and have it air on TV for free the next day. This is the risk you take when you buy media. If you want to wait and see instead, that's your choice.

I cut my cable years ago. For the last few years I've had nothing but Chromecasts, Google Play Movies, Netflix, occasionally various sports streaming services, and (more recently) CraveTV. If there's something I want to watch, I check Netflix and Crave, and if it's not there I buy it on Google Play - again, no more difficult than finding the right channel on TV. I have only once found a TV show I wanted which was not on Google Play, so I bought it on blu-ray. One device, three services (plus sports), very straight forward. Other than CraveTV, which is totally non-essential to this setup, it would work on pretty much every platform available.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome