DSL - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-02-12, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

DSL

I am looking into upgrading my DSL 6 mbs service, so I have been reading a lot of links from here from previous discussions, and am certainly not teck smart.
Bell fiber comes to a junction box about 2km away from here, then it is old copper to my house in the county.
Long story short:
I went into my router settings and did a analysis under the maintenance section snd this is some of what it said: ( all downstream figures)

HILN SCALE. 1632
LOOP ATTENUATION. DB. 31.5
SIGNAL ATTENUATION.DB. 31.5
SNR MARGIN DB. 6.3
ATTAINABLE RATE. KBPS. 10952
OUTPUT POWER DBM. 14.8

I also checked my friends router (same) too and the numbers were almost the same, 3 lots away.
Are there any other relelavent numbers I am missing? I can't post screenshots here.
It looks like 10 kbs would be my max ( under ideal conditions).

Bell office claims I could get 19kbs, but the guy working on the box says 7 kbs.
Any suggestions or observations based on my numbers?
Thanks.
M.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-02-12, 06:24 PM
Veteran

19 Kb/s? You list 10952 attainable. That sounds like over 10 Mb/s. Regardless, go to speedtest.net and see what you get. Your friend can try it too.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-02-12, 07:15 PM

From the numbers you posted, the maximum speed your line would be able to handle is 10.9Mbps.
It might not be stable though at that rate, and that 7Mbps will be pretty much the maximum your line would currently handle.

Ed7789

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-02-12, 09:05 PM
Veteran

10Mbps is considered the limit for standard DSL and that's a theoretical limit, not a real world one. That's built into the protocol and hardware that supports it (modem chips.) "The guy working on the box" is in the best position to know what is obtainable in any given area with the equipment that is being used. DSL2 supports faster speeds but requires upgraded equipment and, usually, better lines. Regardless of line quality, there may be an arbitrary limit that the provider will provision. For many phone companies, that may be 6 or 7Mbps over a POTS line. It's also possible to provision bonded pairs which could, theoretically, double the speed to 20Mbps. (It also doubles the total cost.) Again, most phone companies and TPIAs will not do this. Teksavvy once supported bonded lines but that was some time ago.

According to this chart, DSL maxes out at about 8Mbps and starts to drop of at just over 2km. That would also depend on other factors such as S/N ratio and line condition.

Chart of ADSL and ADSL2+ Speed Versus Line Loss
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-02-13, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Speedtest.net shows ~ 2.3 to 4.7 depending on weather conditions due to old phone lines according to the Bell tech. My next door neighbour who is with Bell (I am not) gets 4.8 to 5.6 on Speedtest.net.
I started looking into this after a Bell salesperson come door to door last summer trying to sell 10mbs service because they had installed "Fiber to our neighborhood."
Family illnes prevented me from following up at the time.
M.M
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-02-13, 12:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I started looking into this after a Bell salesperson come door to door last summer trying to sell 10mbs service because they had installed "Fiber to our neighborhood."
I had the same thing happen here. It was a third party company that sounded like part of Bell but was not. They misrepresented or lied about almost everything. They claimed it was a special deal. In reality it was the same as the standard prices listed on the Bell web site. They claimed fibre was going to be installed that Summer. Almost 10 years later it's still twisted pair to the CO. They claimed it was Fibe. In reality it was POTS, satellite and DSL. They claimed the internet speed was up to 100Mbps. I knew from previous experience that the lines maxed out at 6Mbps.

Quote:
...trying to sell 10mbs service...
The contract has a disclaimer stating "up to" 10Mbps. In reality, almost nobody gets that speed. You might if the CO is next door and they run a direct line between the two buildings.

Quote:
...they had installed "Fiber to our neighborhood."
Where in the neighborhood? If it's not within 0.5km (about 4 average city blocks) then maximum DSL2 speeds will not be available. If they just ran fibre to the CO then nothing will change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in