5G Seems Awesome

If/when this comes to Canada it show be awesome

https://youtu.be/7_wceT5sWuI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-02-01, 08:16 PM
Veteran

I am vastly less enthusiastic after seeing T-Mobile's demo of how mmWave signals are blocked by a glass door: https://arstechnica.com/information-...t-mobile-says/

5g over the standard frequencies is better than 4g on the same frequencies, but not vastly so. The miraculous stuff is over mmWave, which has abysmal range, doesn't penetrate much of anything, and even requires phone antennas more complicated and power hungry to work properly. You'll never see it in most of Canada because it's prohibitively expensive to deploy outside of the densest areas.

The reality will not live up to the hype, mostly because the hype train has gotten well out of control.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:43 AM
Rookie

Saw most phone ads in Korea are now in 5G so better hurry!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
If/when this comes to Canada it show be awesome
Actually, it's already here. Rogers had a pilot project in the Rogers Centre, in Toronto and they're also rolling it out in the Toronto area and elsewhere. However, as mentioned above, performance depends on the bands used. There is one new band at 600 MHz, another around 5 - 6 GHZ and one around 30 - 40 GHz, which is the band that provides greatest perforamance. Range on that band isn't that great, so a lot of sites would be needed. In the same bandwidth, 5G provides about 20 - 25% improvement over LTE.

5G

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 01:47 PM
Veteran

The 5GHz band will be short range with some building penetration, a little like 5GHz wifi but better due to the higher power available. It will be useful near densely populated areas with buildings. 30GHz and higher bands will be strictly line of site but will have much higher throughput. It will be useful for places like arenas where antennas can be located within site of a large number of devices.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 01:55 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Also, the band that Rogers is planning on using initially is around 2.5 GHz, which won't be much different than some of the other spectrum they use. Also, 600 MHz will have performance similar to 700 MHz.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 03:07 PM
Veteran

The 2.5GHz band won't provide a lot of bandwidth for densely packed areas such as the Rogers Centre. A lot of users, such as in a stadium, would provide very little throughput per device. 24GHz+ bands will provide much more bandwidth and potential speed than lower frequency bands. In addition, the short range and penetration of 24GHz+ bands will allow for more compartmentalization which multiplies the available total bandwidth significantly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in