Ethernet Splitter - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-22, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Ethernet Splitter

Has anybody found an Ethernet Splitter Cable that actually works? The ones I have seen online only seem to work on one side or they reduce your internet speed. This is according to the reviews I have read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-22, 12:16 PM
Veteran

What you want is a 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet switch. Consumer models are available in 5, 8, 16 and 24 port configurations. A good 5 or 8 port model typically costs between $20 and $50. Well known consumer brands include TP-Link, D-Link and Netgear. Figure out how many ports you need (# of devices +1) and add a port or two for future use. Total speed will be maintained but will be divided among the devices on the incoming cable. That's not usually an issue for consumer installations.
Gentleman likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-22, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Has anybody found an Ethernet Splitter Cable that actually works?
What do you mean by splitter cable? If you want to connect more than one device over a cable, you need a switch.

Quote:
TP-Link
Avoid TP-Link. Some models don't handle VLANs properly.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Avoid TP-Link. Some models don't handle VLANs properly.
If you don't know what a switch is, you're definitely not going to be using VLANs, so I don't think this matters much in this case.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 01:25 PM
Veteran

^^^^
My take is to avoid TP-Link entirely, since they can't get something as simple as this right. See my comments in another current thread.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 07:57 PM

Inexpensive unmanaged switches mostly use a single chip to do all the work. I doubt TP-Link makes their own ICs. The same chip will be used in many brands.

So, for "dumb" switches, TP-Link will be no better or worse than many other brands. TP-Link may have software problems in their managed switches but that won't have much bearing on their hardware design capabilities.
Gentleman likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 09:01 PM

I've always had good luck with D-Link and Cisco switches. Eight port switches are cheap enough not to bother with only four.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Eight port switches are cheap enough not to bother with only four
I bought a cheap 5 port managed switch to use as a "data tap" so that I could monitor Ethernet traffic with Wireshark. 3 ports is all you need for that. I also have a managed 8 port switch on my network.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 10:00 PM
Veteran

I've used these for many years without a single hiccup:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1107
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1106

Keep in mind some important points though:
  1. Technically, these are not"splitters".
  2. Each side only uses half of the twisted pairs.
  3. Consequence of that is 100MB/s max (not 1GB/s).
  4. Allows two devices to share a single wire in the wall but you still need two network ports on your switch.

If those above points don't make sense and aren't absolutely clear then you're better off adding a small switch as others have suggested. For that, something like this is small, light, and works well maintaining 1GB/s : https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/d-link-.../6000109559112
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-09-24, 06:47 AM
Veteran

^^^^
You'll need one of those at each end to work. Also, the OP said he didn't want to reduce speed. That means a switch, though even then, the bandwidth will be shared among the devices.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-10-04, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I have an ethernet wall outlet by my living room TV which I plug my android TV Box into. I was looking for a splitter so I can also plug my TV into the ethernet wall unit. My internet speed is 25 MBPS Max. Download and 1.4 MBPS Upload.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-10-04, 11:58 AM
Veteran

^^^^
All you need is a cheap switch. It doesn't have to be managed. Here is one example that will meet your needs, however, for a bit more, you can go to a gigabit switch. But with only a 25 Mb connection, a Gb switch won't make any difference.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-10-05, 09:37 AM

i personally would spend another $10 and be future-proof with a gigabit switch.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG1...s%2C141&sr=1-9

Here's one but there are many others in that price range.
Gentleman likes this.

Phil
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist44 View Post
I have an ethernet wall outlet by my living room TV which I plug my android TV Box into. I was looking for a splitter so I can also plug my TV into the ethernet wall unit. My internet speed is 25 MBPS Max. Download and 1.4 MBPS Upload.
Here is my advice. You should open up the ethernet wall outlet, and find the wire, its probably fished down the wall cavity and into the sub floor and coming into the ceiling of your basement. from there you can easily find where it goes, usually to some central wiring panel with a punch down or so.

The BEST and PRoper advice, and probably the most inexpensive way, is to actually just fish another ethernet wire down the existing hole, and run it with the existing ethernet wire to where ever it terminates to is probably already has your modem or ethernet switch so just patch it into there. Then you have two ethernet outlets behind your TV. I would also go as far as future proofing it and running a third wire, or at the very least, a pull string so you can run a third wire in the future incase you have a device like a satellite pvr or a blue-ray player or ignite tv box that uses ethernet connectivity.

Then comes the fun part, installing the keystone wall jacks and putting a dual wall plate over it. this is really the best way to do this, and if you do it yourself it costs LESS than a router, and the best part, you actually learn something useful. running wires is a great thing to know and do yourself. and if your scared there's plenty of people who will gladly and happily to do it for you for a small nominal fee.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Veteran

I disagree. @cyclist44 - IMO the easiest thing would be to use the two monoprice items I suggested here:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/28-...ml#post3092085

You'll still get 100 Mbps from each so you should be just fine. It doesn't save you from switch ports - at the other end you'll still need two ports. But it allows you to hardware in both devices in your living room and have them share the one wire in the wall. And are passive, non-power consuming devices.

Unless you either need more than the 100 Mbps speed or you have some bad wires in your existing cable run meaning that they can't all be used (simple to test with a cheap test device readily available online), then the devices I listed are easy peasy. Doesn't require any work - just plug them in and you're done. I've used them before and they worked flawlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in