Cable TPIA's out in Ontario - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Cable TPIA's out in Ontario

Teksavvy & Start cable internet both experienced major outages this evening.

Networks are slowing returning to normal. Could someone be messing with the POI's?

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 09:32 PM

It’s a Rogers issue and they haven’t said what caused the outage yet.
Gentleman likes this.

LONSat
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

LONSat I understand Rogers customers are unaffected.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Seems to be resolved. Be interesting to know what went down.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 11:16 PM

Gentleman I saw plenty of complaints about Rogers home phone and internet services being down tonight and spotty phone service for the last week for some. Downdetector shows Rogers customers from Ottawa to London with problems and all the other TPIAs that rely on them.

LONSat
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 12:36 PM
Veteran

I saw a few oddities on Rogers the past few days but no extended outages. Sites were unreachable or addresses were not resolvable a few times but it didn't last long. That's not unusual though. Sometimes it just my devices not waking up properly.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 02:16 PM
Veteran

There were a couple of news articles about this. However, I didn't notice any issues on Rogers in Mississauga.

Rogers Service Outage Affecting Customers in Mississauga
TekSavvy reporting internet outage in large part of Ontario

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 02:36 PM
Veteran

I've got to wonder if all Southern Ontario TSI traffic is all routed through some Rogers equipment in Mississauga. Then, when Rogers in Mississauga goes down it takes TSI in Ontario with it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 02:59 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I doubt it would be Mississauga, as there's just a head end here. However, there is a big place in Brampton, on Dixie. I don't know what passes through there.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 06:34 PM

No issues with my Rogers account.
Gentleman likes this.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-11, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

It just wasn't TSI that was affected, all the TPIA's had issues. Check dslreports.

Still waiting for an explanation from TSI. But we'll likely never know what happened at Rogers.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-11, 11:46 AM
Veteran

It isn't the first time something like this has happened. When I was with TSI Rogers performed an "upgrade" without informing TSI that it was taking place. TSI was out for the good part of a day while their equipment was updated after the fact. TSI was the only cable TPIA in Ontario at the time.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-15, 07:31 PM
Rookie

I was helping out my brother with his Rogers connection within the past 7 days and fixed his issue. He was getting booted off of Xbox Live on an abnormal basis. I told him to enter in my public DNS server that I operate here in Mississauga as his DNS1 and told him to enter in Google's as his secondary, and his problems went away immediately.

As an independent hobbyist public DNS server operator, I can tell you personally that there are a lot of cloud VPS subscribers primarily based in USA and China who run attack scripts on DNS servers except that they run them from many different IP ranges simultaneously, which completely bypasses the DoS preventative features of DNS servers such as BIND and Microsoft DNS. I was able to help my brother stay online, because I've taken measures by writing a script that proactively blocks the major cloud VPS providers in my DNS configuration file, effectively making my single DNS server to be the best in the country, in my opinion. I'm a Rogers business internet customer, but since I run this server also for local DNS recursive queries, I also did not have any issues. What I did notice though is that most of the public DNS servers in Canada did go down or were inundated with many, many bogus DDoS type DNS queries. public-dns.info lists all the global DNS servers it can scan, and many of the Canadian DNS servers listed lost quite a bit of reliability percentage score. Not mine though.

In your WAN DNS config, just use two different provider's DNS servers. I like to use one from Google's and one from another reliable public provider, but don't make both DNS1 and DNS2 from the same ISP or media type. Do a ping test on both of the ISP provided DNS servers in your ISP's pamphlet....Whichever provides the lowest ping time, just use that as your DNS1 and then use Google's 8.8.4.4 as the other.

Last edited by rapideye95; 2019-08-15 at 07:46 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-15, 08:46 PM
Veteran

I like to use DNSBench from grc.com to find a good name server and avoid Google's name servers for privacy reasons.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-08-16, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I like to use DNSBench from grc.com to find a good name server and avoid Google's name servers for privacy reasons.
All DNS servers will expose the source IP's internet name request unless they explicitly do not log or have not configured logging, which is irresponsible if one wants to know how their server is used, for stability reasons. A server administrator or operator cannot prevent a distributed denial of service attack effectively if they do not log and expose the source IP of the name request. It's very difficult to pinpoint a DDoS attack from other log sources, such as hardware firewall logs, as many attacks span multiple IP ranges while keeping the total sessions per IP down, effectively cloaking itself from other legitimate DNS internet requests. The only way to mitigate an attack is to see the log of the name request itself so it can be nipped in the bud.

The point of "privacy" is less applicable when you select an alternate name server, because your name request will be the same needle within a smaller haystack, so a small fry server operator would be more privy to the information if they decided to want to use that data for profit. It's best to use a known reliable server as an alternate along with another server that you also control, if possible. At least with Google's server, your internet request will be more secured from surfing to a known bad and malicious server that Google keeps track of. Almost no other server provides the basic levels of DNS security that Google does for free. Rogers DNS does not provide any additional security features that they make customers aware of, and their servers are abused often times by their own subscriber base.

I understand that people, including myself, might not like Google for various reasons, political or otherwise, but they honestly do run some of the best free public dns resolvers that also correct a lot of internet surfing problems once people configure one of them into their internet devices.

If you are a casual internet surfer, you are better off having your internet request go to Google's vs anyone else, unless you are more comfortable having that other server operator able to see your request much more easily than a Google tech would.

In Linux, all you need to do is run a single command to parse a known IP to watch or output all of their internet requests, and any server running on Unix or Linux has this capability. It all depends on the person that knows how to wield such tools to do what they want to do with the data.

For me personally, I am just trying to run a stable server for the public and for my client's web performance and reduction of malware.

Google for the most part is trying to clean the internet, there's no doubt there's privacy exposure, but almost all operators expose that privacy, internally I hope, so you might as well benefit from theirs, because they at least do some good with theirs. Other operators run theirs irresponsibly, which is why there are so many DNS outages across the country. Many times the outages have nothing to do with the ISP, unless the customer is using a DNS server that ISP operates.

Also even if you run your own DNS, your privacy is still exposed, because your recursive internet requests are examined by the global root servers via root hints. There's no way to completely secure your internet requests unless you create a forward lookup zone for every single internet name imaginable and then by maintaining them all by yourself. The root servers and operator of those root servers are ultimately able to see everything, if they choose to. Running your own server ultimately harnesses a lot of that control.

Just use Google's unless you really are generally bitter about them or want to serve up your own requests yourself or want to permit another large provider to serve up your requests instead. Ultimately, whichever server you configure will be the server that you are permitting to see your internet requests once you hit OK and start surfing.

I say all of this not solely for your viewing, but primarily for others who believe that not using Google's DNS somehow protects them from "privacy", which is a false notion. It's more about who to trust more than anything else.

The winner of your DNS traffic should be to those who run the best servers within the geographical area closest to your internet connected device or network, or have the best response times, but also other more important factors, and the DNSbench tool, as you mentioned is a way to help determine that winner, but it's not everything. Reliability combined with domain and IP blackhole filtering with performance should determine which are the winner DNS servers.

Last edited by rapideye95; 2019-08-16 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in