Porting cell number............ - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-11, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Porting cell number............

If I port my cell # from one provider to another is it legally implied that I am cancelling service from the first provider and therefor do not need to contact them to officially cancel the service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-11, 07:15 PM

I ported my cellphone number from Fido to TELUS back in 2011. If it didn't change since then, the porting will trigger a service cancellation on your old mobile carrier.

Ed7789
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-11, 08:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
and therefor do not need to contact them to officially cancel the service?
Correct. Cancelling with the current provider may cause issues with number porting so do not cancel.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-12, 09:21 AM
Veteran

correct, porting the number also cancels the "existing" wireless line automatically. They keep emphasizing to NOT contact your original provider when you are bringing the number to the new provider, as sometimes certain changes to the account will prevent the number from being ported so that is why they expressingly tell you not to contact the original provider. This happened to my friend, he explained to them he wanted to leave his "exisitng" provider and i dunno what he specifically said but they put a cancellation order on his line, and when he went to his new company and tried to port the number, the port failed, cus the pending cancellation does not allow the port to go thru, so he simply removed the cancellation request which he should not have done in the first place and then re-requested the port on his new provider, and voila, it worked. lessons learned for my friend, but i already knew this as I worked in porting and told my friend not to make these mistakes but he did not listen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-12, 03:09 PM

I ported my Bell landline to a Koodo cell phone just over a month ago. It automatically canceled the Bell account.

The only thing that was a pain was Bell took a month to revise my billing statement - originally charging me for a month of service they didn't provide, then a month later the bill reflected the actual cost of a few days of service - so just be careful to only pay what you truly owe.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-12, 03:32 PM

Within two days of leaving Fido(Rogers) for Public Mobile(TELUS) they called to beg me to come back.
Discount on a plan, plus cash towards a new phone.
Anything to keep their statistics up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-12, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Fido was(is) a real pain in the neck. 16 months after I moved my service to a non-Rogers company they were still calling me and asking why I had switched !!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-06-12, 08:47 PM
Veteran

Yep. This also works for pay as you go accounts, although sometimes those are problematic to port. I had one on Koodoo, and Eastlink needed a couple of tries to port it. Once it went through, it immediately cancelled the Koodo end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in