Bell CDMA shutdown soon - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-02, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Bell CDMA shutdown soon

Bell CDMA ending April 30.

This would also affect any other brands that rely on the Bell network.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-02, 06:05 PM
Veteran

I remember seeing this document before. It's about time!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 12:55 PM

MTS will also end CDMA service on April 30. Even though MTS is now owned by Bell, they still have separate cell phone plans.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/193...ml#post3073335

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 02:49 PM
Veteran

Yes so to sum it up Both Bell and Bell MTS are decommissioning CDMA permanently in the next coming months, this is excellent news. I am quite shocked that in today's day and age with 4G and even 5G technologies we still have companies using very older 2G technologies such as CDMA. I remember when Rogers discontinued their Analog (1G) and TDMA (2G) network.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I remember when Rogers discontinued their Analog (1G) and TDMA (2G) network.
Rogers still has the 2G GSM network, which replaced their original IS-136 TDM network. GSM is scheduled to be discontinued in Dec. 2020. Then, the low end will be UMTS, which is essentially GSM, using packets, instead of TDM stream, on a 3G W-CDMA network.
Gentleman likes this.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Yes sir I am aware of the 2G GSM network still in existence, my friends Alarm System utilizes 2G GSM so when it comes down he might have to replace his wireless module at a cost.

Instead of hoarding (collecting) all my old phones, I decided to give them away to less fortunate people who could use them, so I sent a few of them over to Africa provided the frequencies were compatible, so the less fortunate people over there could have a basic working phone for free. and in those parts of the world phone networks are not as advanced as over here so they still use older 2G and 3G technologies for years to come.

I probably owned one CDMA phone in my whole life, and I was able to repurpose it by giving it to a family member in need of a working phone back in the day. I feel good that it was put to good use cus now that the network is decommissioning the phones will be useless and possibly broken and worn out.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
Yes so to sum it up Both Bell and Bell MTS are decommissioning CDMA permanently in the next coming months, this is excellent news. I am quite shocked that in today's day and age with 4G and even 5G technologies we still have companies using very older 2G technologies such as CDMA.
Most people that use CDMA probably don't use data, so 4G or 5G is irrelevant. If data is important, they've already upgraded.

I've heard a lot of people say that the voice quality is actually better on CDMA handsets and were disappointed when they upgraded. It's probably not the CDMA technology, more likely the handsets were designed to do one thing well.

From the providers' perspective, I can see the need to drop CDMA to make room for 5G.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I probably owned one CDMA phone in my whole life, and I was able to repurpose it by giving it to a family member in need of a working phone back in the day.
I think I still have my first cell phone here. It was a Uniden analog phone that, when new, ran for about 8 hours on a charge. I have never owned a "CDMA" phone.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-04, 08:10 PM

I guess my Samsung C414m flip phone will still function. At least until they decommission GSM. That's been a great little phone.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 03:49 PM
Veteran

^You mean HSPA - which won't be decommissioned for quite some time as even many phones today use HSPA for at least voice. Bell (and Telus) never used GSM).

(Yes, I'm aware of VoLTE - but not every phone sold on Bell supports it)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
UMTS, which is the current basic phone uses HSPA, also known as 3G.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 09:26 AM
Veteran

As far as I can remember there always has been a lot of confusion when UMTS came out, people were getting confused about UMTS, WCDMA, HSPA, CDMA and GSM. Thank goodness we are well beyond that period. UMTS/WCDMA was a big deal back then because it allowed operators to use the same technology so their devices were compatible with each other. this was a first for wireless networks in Canada at the time, now everyone takes it for granted that you can use a device from one network on other competing networks. So the decommissioning of 2G CDMA is a significant milestone which means we are moving forward with technology in Canada. Good Stuff
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
this was a first for wireless networks in Canada at the time
Actually, that happened with analog. Back when I got my first cell phone, in Jan. 1995, it was possible to easily switch carriers. Your choices were A for Rogers (Cantel) and B for Bell. It was digital 2G phones that were incompatible. Here we had GSM, CDMA and IS-136 TDM. There was also a 4th system used only in Japan.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 01:42 PM
Veteran

oh true i remember now. thank goodness analog 1G has been decommissioned long ago
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-29, 11:34 AM

Excerpts from today's press release:

With Bell's 4G LTE network now covering more than 99% of the national population, Bell today confirmed it will complete the previously announced shutdown of its legacy CDMA wireless network on April 30.

"Our Network team looks forward to leveraging efficiencies from our CDMA shutdown, including repurposing existing site structures, fibre connections and power systems, to further enhance our industry-leading LTE network."

For more information about Bell's CDMA network transition, please visit Bell.ca/CDMAnetwork.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in