CRTC steps up fight against nuisance calls in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 2018-12-29, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

CRTC steps up fight against nuisance calls in Canada

CRTC calls for universal network-level call blocking, with 1-year deadline

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 2018-12-31, 02:09 PM
Veteran

This is Amazing news. It's absolutely well overdue. A lot of people are very misunderstood about how blocking numbers works and think that solves everything and they do not know that the spammers can turn around and change 1 digit and call you and circumvent your block list and make your phone ring, they also use known numbers of legitimate canadian businesses or government agencies so people are more likely to answer. But yes this is a big step in the right direction. the article is also very limited and does not explain if this applies to landline, or mobile phone lines or so. I would like to find out more about this in the future.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 2018-12-31, 05:33 PM

I saw the CRTC press release a couple of weeks ago. There are links which probably provide more detail.

CRTC steps up fight against nuisance calls in Canada

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 2018-12-31, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Providers that offer their subscribers call-filtering services, which provide more advanced call-management features, will not have this obligation.
That's vague and open to interpretation. Call blocking options from some telcos are almost useless as implemented. Some are also overpriced and simply serve to boost profit margins while allowing nuisance calls though. Telcos might argue they are "more advanced call-management features" but they do not work effectively.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
This is Amazing news. It's absolutely well overdue. A lot of people are very misunderstood about how blocking numbers works and think that solves everything and they do not know that the spammers can turn around and change 1 digit and call you and circumvent your block list and make your phone ring,
Happy New Year Everyone!

If you are concerned about spammers changing 1 digit, simply create a call filtering rule that uses a wildcard for the last digit or two.

What I find most effective is to create a call rule that call forwards a telemarketer call to the company's corporate office main number. This immediately ceases the nuisance calls. However, you have to be absolutely certain of the source of the telemarketer call before doing this. If there is any doubt, then the call rule doesn't get created.

I've found this to be effective as well for annoying calls from charitable organization remote offices and political parties looking for donations as well as research company polling.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 11:13 AM

The other thing to be considered is to create an unknown caller, call filtering rule.

I have a rule that if no caller ID comes through on the call, the call immediately goes to voice mail.

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Anonymous Call Block or Call Privacy is one of the sometimes overpriced features that is usually ineffective and can have unwanted side effects. Hospitals and other legitimate organizations sometimes block caller ID for privacy reasons. Those calls may get blocked. Most spammers use a fake number and caller ID to bypass this type of blocking.

Quote:
simply create a call filtering rule
This type of filtering is not available with most phone services. I would consider this to be one of the "advanced call-management features" referred to in the article.
Gentleman likes this.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 03:21 PM

What I dont understand is how the spammers are even able to circumvent the info sent by the calling number from the phone company itself, and replace it with the spammers info.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 04:33 PM
Veteran

They essentially create their own VoIP phone company. VoIP allows many things that cannot be done using a conventional consumer phone account.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
However, you have to be absolutely certain of the source of the telemarketer call before doing this. If there is any doubt, then the call rule doesn't get created.

I've found this to be effective as well for annoying calls from charitable organization remote offices and political parties looking for donations as well as research company polling.
You see, this is the opposite of how I feel, I could care less about charitable organizations, politicians, blood and clothing donation people calling me, these people are NOT the ones the majority of canadians are complaining about. The Canadians are complaining about the ILLEGAL telemarketing calls from Duct cleaning, from windows, from anti-virus, and from scammers pretending to be Canada Revenue Agency.

First we need to understand the issue at hand, the do not call list WORKS, Works for people who abide by the rules, but scammers in india and pakistan do not abide by the rules and disguise/spoof their number to something invalid which does not comply with NANP (north america numbering plan

Have you ever got a call from 000-000-0000? or from a weird number like 0063 or 1-111-111-1111? yes these are the calls the crtc wants phone companies to block, if u read the report, shaw implemented something similar before the crtc even mandated such requirement and had a 95% reduction in calls. so yes it works

also ive gotten a call from +416-xxx-xxxx and i can already tell its a scam, if it was a real call the display would show +1-416-xxx-xxxx which is the proper nanp. +416 is not a country code, but +1 is, so yes it would dramatically reduce calls from those scammers.
Bplayer likes this.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:19 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although the scammers sometimes spoof incorrect format (blatantly illegitimate) numbers, I'm sure it would take them very little time to learn now to spoof numbers correctly?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
What I dont understand is how the spammers are even able to circumvent the info sent by the calling number from the phone company itself, and replace it with the spammers info.
The information often does not come from the phone company. For example, if a company has a PBX, it can be configured to provide whatever number the company wants, for example a main number, instead of the actual line number. I have configured equipment in just that manner.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Hospitals and other legitimate organizations sometimes block caller ID for privacy reasons. Those calls may get blocked.
Correct. I've had calls from the MRI booking clerk and their number is hid as they don't want people calling for appointments. With my anonymous call rule, the caller knows no different other than they may think I'm on the line on another call.

A voip phone service also affords advanced features like "time rules" where I can forward all calls during dinner time to voice mail thus making for a peaceful dinner hour.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Although the scammers sometimes spoof incorrect format (blatantly illegitimate) numbers, I'm sure it would take them very little time to learn now to spoof numbers correctly?
Correct. This is not meant to completely get rid of the disturbing calls, but its relatively quick to implement and will get the most noticeable results in a short period of time. yes they will eventually learn how to circumvent it, but the more we keep trying to block them the more they will get tired and move on to scam a different country perhaps.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 2019-01-02, 12:20 AM
Veteran

They will keep trying in any case. They scam North America because individuals are more affluent. Harsh income tax laws in the US only help them. The cost for these automated calls is very low and they only need a very small percentage to succeed in order to make a lot of money. I know someone who was scammed into paying $300 by a computer support scammer. Income tax scammers can make thousands from a single person.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in