TTC Subway Cellular Connectivity - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

TTC Subway Cellular Connectivity

BAI Canada & TTC Deliver Complete Subway Cellular Connectivity: Freedom Mobile Customers First To Benefit

BAI Canada has completed its installation of cellular connectivity infrastructure that meets the highest industry standards in all subway platforms and is continuing its work to expand cellular service to subway tunnels.

Just in time for the busy holiday season, Freedom Mobile customers who ride the TTC are now able to use their cellular LTE services to talk, text, tweet and post at all 75 TTC subway stations, including the Line 1 extension's six brand new stations and nine kilometres of underground tunnel when it opens to the public this Sunday, December 17. This adds to the cellular connectivity already available in the downtown loop of the TTC's Line 1 between Bloor/Yonge station and King station.

Increased connectivity will help power Toronto's innovation and benefit TTC passengers, businesses and the community at large. While the world-class infrastructure is in place for all cellular carriers to join whenever they choose to, Freedom Mobile was the first to do so in 2015 and continues to be the only mobile carrier to provide wireless service in Toronto subway stations.

BAI remains on schedule to complete the installation of cellular connectivity in the downtown loop tunnel from Bloor/Yonge all the way down to Union and back up to St. George station by the end of summer 2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Rogers has "extended coverage" in areas where their signal is not available. I wonder if it will apply here.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I don't think Rogers roams on Freedom Mobile. Freedom Mobile roams on Rogers (and others,) but they pay the wholesale rate.

The extended coverage agreement that the big 3 have with each other might explain why they haven't signed up for the subway coverage. If 1 company does, they probably pay a significant price and all the other roaming partners automatically get the benefits as part of their mutual extended coverage roaming agreement.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 02:11 PM
Veteran

so just to clarify, this announcement means cell signal on the platforms only, not actually in the train tunnels. but i do think people will get confused and expect service in the tunnels too, no?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 02:48 PM
Veteran

^^^^
According to the article in the Toronto Star, the tunnels are next.

Quote:
The next step is for BAI to expand the cellular network inside the subway tunnels themselves, which would allow passengers to make calls while the trains are in motion.

Ranger said work has already begun to install antennas in tunnels on Line 1 from Bloor St. to King St., and by next summer the necessary infrastructure should be in place in all tunnels in the downtown core. After that, it will take two to three years to complete the entire network.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
so just to clarify, this announcement means cell signal on the platforms only, not actually in the train tunnels. but i do think people will get confused and expect service in the tunnels too, no?
The press release says: "including the Line 1 extension's six brand new stations and nine kilometres of underground tunnel when it opens to the public this Sunday, December 17. This adds to the cellular connectivity already available in the downtown loop of the TTC's Line 1 between Bloor/Yonge station and King station."
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 2017-12-14, 01:09 PM
Veteran

okay, so its been a while since I rode the rocket, last time I took it, there was NO service in the tunnels
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-26, 11:04 PM
Veteran

Why most commuters can’t get cellphone service on the Toronto subway

It sounds like Bell, Rogers and Telus don't want to run over someone else's network.

Why most commuters can’t get cellphone service on the Toronto subway

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-08-27 at 09:09 AM. Reason: moved to existing thread
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-27, 02:32 PM
Veteran

No idea, but its not quite clear if the cell service will be in the Stations ONLY, or will be in some of the tunnels, Based on the words they use, there will definitely be service in the stations, but it does not specifically state that the full tunnels will have coverage, nor does it state how much coverage, and a large portion of the subway system is above ground so there is no need for repeaters in above ground portions like yorkdale, wilson stn, etc but I get it that its a must in the underground portions
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-27, 02:36 PM

The article that @JamesK links to mentions the current coverage footprint by BAI in the underground tunnels and all station platforms. Stations also have WiFi access (viewing an ad is required).

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-11, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Cell service is expanding on the TTC. Here's why you may not be able to use it

Big telcos would rather install their own wireless infrastructure in the subway

As the article says, the TTC can't have all the companies installing their own networks. That's why BAI is there as a neutral network.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-05-11 at 10:06 AM. Reason: moved to existing thread
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-11, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Denied access? Why does Rogers lie so blatantly? They have full access, they just don't want to pay another company. Is there any big subway system that lets several providers install infrastructure everywhere?

Though my Rogers mobile phone works fine in the wifi-only stations once I finally jumped through all Roger's hoops and enabled wifi calling. Though Rogers doesn't profit from that.

As a Rogers shareholder, I can only laugh my maniacally way to the bank ...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 10:31 AM

Not only that, they could have out-bid BAI on the contract to be the infrastructure provider, and they chose not to do so.

I'm sure the other carriers will come on board at some point. The pressure will only build on them, and as soon as one caves they all will.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 11:14 AM
Veteran

^^^^

If Rogers did that, would the others want to use them? The whole idea of BAI is they're neutral. They don't provide cell service on their own. On the other hand they also provide WiFi, IIRC, so that's one company that provides both services, which makes things easier for the TTC.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 12:31 PM

Rogers is pefectly capable of providing wifi infrastructure as well. I'm sure the terms of the contract with the TTC would require them to provide reasonable access to other carriers, and then at that point it's entirely on the other carriers to work with Rogers, just as it's entirely on Rogers to work with BAI.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Tags
ttc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in