TTC Subway Cellular Connectivity - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 01:33 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Regardless, BAI is there now, so Rogers and others can use them or not get service in the subway.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 02:55 PM
Veteran

We need more independently or municipally owned infrastructure. The big telcos own too much as it is. Telcos refusing to pay for access to the BAI owned TTC infrastructure just points out why. It's corporate bullying and anti-competitive behaviour that hurts consumers.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 03:20 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
We need more independently or municipally owned infrastructure. The big telcos own too much as it is. Telcos refusing to pay for access to the BAI owned TTC infrastructure just points out why. It's corporate bullying and anti-competitive behaviour that hurts consumers.
As mentioned in the other thread on Piracy, the corporate mandate is to maximize profits. If you wish this to change, then you'll need to elect members of parliament (or other levels of government) who are willing to change/rewrite laws. I don't see this happening currently, rather people seem to be electing governments that free up corporations and talk about "less government".

I suppose this is starting to get "political" which is not allowed in the forum, however, people need to be aware that corporations are doing exactly what they are supposed to do (currently).

Watch the documentary "The Corporation".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 05:27 PM
Veteran

Sure, but other cities manage to have mobile coverage in the subway without every provider installing their own hardware.

It's even the same provider (BAI) who has put the hardware in, and resells to the local providers in some of those cities!

Rogers and Bell seem to be choosing to be horrid on this. Perhaps having coverage in the tunnels instead of just on the platforms will change this. It won't take long for riders to notice other riders chatting on their phones just fine ...
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
Denied access? Why does Rogers lie so blatantly? They have full access, they just don't want to pay another company.
They don't have access to install their own infrastructure. The TTC made an exclusive deal with BAI for 25 years.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 01:47 PM

Personally, I'm okay without coverage in the Toronto subway system. Wireless devices have enabled such a rampant culture of rude conduct that it's nice to have some respite from that. And when I was working in Toronto, it was a relief to be cut off from the office for a bit...

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 02:51 PM
Veteran

@57 , I am well aware of all that. Yet, corporations refuse to install infrastructure in many places citing high costs. When municipalities or private groups try to install their own infrastructure those same corporations try to block it by lobbying for laws against them. When that fails they turn around and install the infrastructure themselves in order to make the new venture unprofitable.

I stand by my original post. The TTC is acting in the public's best interests. The incumbents are acting in an anti-competitive manner and it's not the only example. They want to restrict BAI's ability to do business by pressuring other private and public agencies from using their infrastructure. Canada has a poor record of prosecuting companies for anti-competitive behaviour. Part of the issue is that the CRTC allows too much concentration of ownership by large carriers and continues to let them acquire smaller competitors. The incumbents are probably formulating plans to buy BAI at a depressed price as I write this.
Tridus, emmy1500 and Norman_C like this.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 03:20 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I don't know about here, but some countries have laws requiring the telcom companies to share towers etc., when available. All we seem to have here is the various cell companies sharing a building roof. Perhaps a better comparison would be poles. Many of the poles used are owned by the local power company, shared by both cable and phone companies or owned by the phone company and shared by cable. Why can't the same be done in the subway tunnel? The advantage with BAI is they are neutral WRT all cell companies, whereas Roger would not be considered neutral by the others.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 07:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
They don't have access to install their own infrastructure. The TTC made an exclusive deal with BAI for 25 years.
Because BAI bid more than Rogers.

However that deal requires BAI to offer Rogers, Bell, etc. access to the signal.

It's not like you are getting to let 4 different companies put their own wiring in the subway tunnels!

BAI does this just find in some other cities, without the drama.
Tridus likes this.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 11:28 AM
Veteran

BAI Communications

Company Overview of BAI Communications Pty Ltd
"The company was founded in 1928 and is headquartered in Chatswood, Australia with additional offices in Australia, the United States, Canada, Europe, and Hong Kong." I wish them luck operating telecom services in Canada. Other international telecoms have tried and given up.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
BAI does this just find in some other cities, without the drama.
Montreal deployed LTE service in its subway system without the drama. One set of infrastructure and everyone has access.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The Société de transport de Montréal (STM) and its partners Bell, Rogers, TELUS and Videotron today announced that they have turned on a wireless network along a stretch of the Montréal metro.
Which basically means that Bell, Rogers, TELUS and Videotron are providing services on STM. Will other companies like Rogers sign on? The problem on the TTC may just be that it's an Australian/international company, not Canadian. We've already seen how Canadian telcos hate to deal with non-Canadian companies. The CRTC had to step in and stop such practices at least once already.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 02:29 PM
Veteran

As far as I can see, STM isn't receiving any revenue or funding from Telus, Bell, Rogers and Videotron.

TTC received $25.5 million from BAI and an additional $8 million to cover TTC costs.

Bell only bid $5.5 million, and were technically non-compliant.

Tags
ttc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in