Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC puts an end to locked cellphones and unlocking fees

5K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  mrgordos 
#1 · (Edited)

The CRTC today announced that as of December 1, 2017, all individual and small business wireless service customers will have the right to have their cellphones and other mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request. In addition, all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

As well, updates to the trial period will allow customers who are unhappy with their service to cancel their contract within 15 days and return their device in near-new condition at no costs, as long as they have used less than half their monthly usage limits.

The CRTC also clarified certain rules that are already in place under the Wireless Code. For family or shared plans, the account holder must, by default, be the one who consents to data overage and data roaming charges beyond the established caps ($50 and $100 per month, respectively). Wireless service providers may, however, allow account holders to authorize other users on a family or shared plan to consent to additional charges. The CRTC also made clear that in all instances, the caps apply on a per account basis, regardless of the number of devices associated with the account. These clarifications apply immediately.

Finally, there were various interpretations of a wireless plan's key terms in the marketplace and the CRTC has clarified that they include voice, text and data services. These terms cannot be unilaterally changed by the service provider during the contract period without the account holder's express consent. These clarifications apply immediately.

Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2017-200
Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-293

See the press release for Associated Links.

EDIT: This discussion was moved from http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/28-...c-wireless-code-effective-dec-2-2013-a-8.html to make it more visible and several other posts have been moved here. Please use this thread to discuss free cellphone unlocking for all providers. (thanks to Paolo and 57 for the suggestion.)

See less See more
#3 ·
Remember though.. this just makes the phone unlocked.

Yes, easier to jump ship AFTER any hardware contracts are up, etc.. go to another carrier, etc.

BUT, if a phone is bought on contract.. that contract still exists until the end of its term.

#5 ·
@ gdkitty. Yes I know.

But now that it can be unlocked for free people will shop around more. I know people whose contract is over but won't switch because of the current unlocking fee. For Android phones you can get cheap unlock codes online. Which I do. but not everyone knows how to go about that. Those that unlock cell phones at cell accessory kiosks here charge almost as much as the carriers.

#6 ·
Yeah, i guess it depends on the person, what they need, and how long they plan on using the phone, etc.

For someone who uses a phone, much longer than the normal like 2 year contract period.. then yes, much more of a benefit.

For someone like me, between work and personal, i am a pretty heavy user on the phone, and burn them out pretty quickly (just wear and tear, battery life, etc), and am usually getting a new one every 2 years or so anyways..
So if i was switching, would be moot as getting new hardware there anyways.

#7 ·
Wow that's interesting......so I have an Apple iPhone 5 and AirPad 2. It's going to take me longer to pay off my tablet but my phone could be paid off almost anytime the contract on my phone is up Sept 2018. I've been debating changing from Rogers to Telus or Bell but I will probably have to pay off my tablet first which means new contract on a cell I guess with Rogers???? Really wanted Apple IPhone 7

#8 ·
Update: Rogers has applied to the CRTC for a six-month extension, saying they don't have enough time to update their billing systems: Financial Post

At issue is how it will deal with accounts that include single plans and shared plans. Rogers’ application stated that its systems are not sophisticated enough to accommodate multiple data buckets. It’s upgrading its systems to do so, and building a self-serve system for customers to manage which users can consent to overage fees.

The new rules also require wireless providers to include data top-ups in the $50 data cap and pay-per-use travel packs in the $100 roaming cap. But Rogers’ system treats top-ups and travel packs completely separately from overage. Since it cannot predict how many customers may roam in any given month, it would have to manually monitor all 10 million subscribers to meet this requirement.

#10 ·
That's not what the new regulations state. Wireless providers must unlock customer owned phones when requested to do so. In the case where full price is paid for the phone up front, that would be the case but they are still allowed to charge an unlocking fee. (I would walk away rather that pay to unlock a new phone but I'm sure some people wouldn't.) That is mitigated under some circumstances, such as when ownership of the phone is tied to a term contract and it is still owned by the provider. Once the contract is up and the phone is fully owned by the customer, the provider must unlock it on request. An unlocking fee is allowed but must be stated in the contract. Many wireless providers do this already. There will be little change in how phones are sold my most companies.

#11 ·
Here's the CRTC press release that I posted in June.

The CRTC today announced that as of December 1, 2017, all individual and small business wireless service customers will have the right to have their cellphones and other mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request. In addition, all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

#15 ·
Just asking the question. It might stop some people who don't know how to unlock a phone. It's my understanding that many of the unlock codes are supplied by the carriers that sold the phone. In that case, they could just refuse to supply the code to the companies that resell them.

#17 ·
The separate fee.

Most 'contract' balances now on wireless, are all tabs/hardware upgrade fees. And not a cancellation fee.
Its X$ per remaining months... but that $ value can change, based on what phone you got.. some could be $12 and others $20.

#18 ·
Any phone credits should be prorated over the life of the contract. For example, a $480 phone that was "free" will be prorated at $20/mo over a 24 month contract. If there are 12 months left, the phone buyout will be $240. Phone carriers tend to charge full retail price for their phones so it can be better to buy the phone separately and look for a cheaper, no contract plan with a BYOD option.

Don't know if it's still allowed with phone plans but companies often charge a flat fee for cancelling contracts. Others want the full price of the remaining contract to be paid in full. I don't think that's allowed with phone plans.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unlock your cellphone?

Hi all, the date for free unlocking of your cellphone has passed so my wife went to a local Bell boutique to have her old cell unlocked so she could give it to a friend. What a run around they gave her. Too long to go into here but she passed the whole afternoon there and she did not succeed in unlocking her phone. Anyone tried this yet and succeeded? Thanks for any info you can give me/her.
Thanks William

#22 ·
This would be very frustrating! What should be happening is that the cel companies should be forced to release the unlock codes so we can do it ourselves. I wonder what would be the result of specifically asking for the code? I can imagine no reason why they cannot give that to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.