Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC puts an end to locked cellphones and unlocking fees

5K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  mrgordos 
#1 · (Edited)
CRTC puts an end to locked cellphones and unlocking fees

The CRTC today announced that as of December 1, 2017, all individual and small business wireless service customers will have the right to have their cellphones and other mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request. In addition, all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

As well, updates to the trial period will allow customers who are unhappy with their service to cancel their contract within 15 days and return their device in near-new condition at no costs, as long as they have used less than half their monthly usage limits.

The CRTC also clarified certain rules that are already in place under the Wireless Code. For family or shared plans, the account holder must, by default, be the one who consents to data overage and data roaming charges beyond the established caps ($50 and $100 per month, respectively). Wireless service providers may, however, allow account holders to authorize other users on a family or shared plan to consent to additional charges. The CRTC also made clear that in all instances, the caps apply on a per account basis, regardless of the number of devices associated with the account. These clarifications apply immediately.

Finally, there were various interpretations of a wireless plan's key terms in the marketplace and the CRTC has clarified that they include voice, text and data services. These terms cannot be unilaterally changed by the service provider during the contract period without the account holder's express consent. These clarifications apply immediately.

Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2017-200
Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-293

See the press release for Associated Links.

EDIT: This discussion was moved from http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/28-...c-wireless-code-effective-dec-2-2013-a-8.html to make it more visible and several other posts have been moved here. Please use this thread to discuss free cellphone unlocking for all providers. (thanks to Paolo and 57 for the suggestion.)

See less See more
#28 ·
Bell has changed their policies significantly. They provided the unlock code for my first flip phone on the account devices page. Didn't even ask and never needed it. For the next phone, they wanted $50 for the code. That was more than the phone was worth. But that time I needed it. It's funny how that works. I found one online for $15.

#29 ·
Just did mine online with Virgin Mobile. just had to login to my account, give IMEI number and they verify phone and i will get unlock information within 24 hours.

Don't need to unlock right now but it's free so I requested it.

This new rule is good for people like myself who just buy used phones as have no interest or need in the new phones with latest bell's and whistles.

#31 ·
Fido Unlocking Story

So as of the beginning of the month, it is now mandated that carriers sell all phones unlocked, or provide unlock codes if the phone was manufactured before that date. Since my phone was purchased a year or so ago, It was sim-locked to Fido so I decided to check online. After digging around, there is no where to get the unlock code online. I decided to cave in and call customer service, The hold time was quite long, I was on hold for about 25 mins time listening to their snazzy hold music. After that I finally got connected to a lady, she processed my request, however the front line agents do not do the actual unlocking so they have to transfer you to another department which will read u a script then finally give u the code. All in all, the phone all including the wait time took 30 mins, so 25 on hold, and 5 speaking to 2 agents. but I got the code, put in a non-fido sim, and was able to unlock my phone. So far it was a positive experience.

#32 ·
Just wanted to share my experience for unlocking phones through Rogers.

I am a current Rogers cx with two phones on my account I wanted to unlock. I used the online chat service. The agent asked me for the IMEIs of the phones, which I gave them the one for my current device and last one. They provided the unlock codes with no issues.

I then decided to see how many more I could unlock. I had some previous Rogers phones I used on their prepaid service, plus a couple phones my mom has used on prepaid. The agent confirmed to me that the phones didn't have to be on my account's equipment list (of IMEIs I provided) or my account's device history. The only limit I hit was that Rogers has a limit of 5 devices to unlock per session. I assume this is to prevent a customer from contacting them to unlock a list of devices.

Overall, my experience was very good. I used their online chat at around 10:30pm on Wednesday and had no wait time.

#36 ·
Question About 15 Day Cooling Off Period

I signed up for 3 phones for the family last Friday and want to change one of the phones to a different model. I have read the CRTC code but all I can find is that I can change the plan within 15 days. I am happy with the plan and the other 2 devices, just want to change the 3rd device. Can I do that without having to get a new contract if the phones are the same price?

#37 ·
There's nothing in the new wireless code (Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2017-200 in post 1) that gives the customer the right to modify the contract. It would be up to the discretion of the provider if they let you swap handsets and if they have the procedures in pace to do that. The wireless code looks so strict, their legal department might even say they aren't allowed to change the contract once the customer has received their copy.

#38 ·
Yes Doctor Dave is right. there s nothing in the code about changing handsets but most of the carriers have a satisfaction guarantee period to change your handset or get out of your contract, its usually within the first 14 or 15 days, but check with the carrier you bought from, there might be some exclusions like you can not exceed so and so minutes or data to be eligible to return or exchange the handset for a diff model.

I know Fido and Bell allow it with some small exclusions

#39 ·
They would have let me do it, however I was upgrading the phone and would have had to pay the extra fee of $200 for the phone since it was the primary line and not eligible for the credits that the other 2 phones got. Hope someone makes a waterproof case for the Huawei P20 soon, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.