Eliminating the Landline? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 02:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I would port the home phone number over to one of the free or very low cost VoIP services. Some of them charge a fee up front for the equipment and provide free phone calls. Others let you use your own equipment and charge as little as $1/mo for basic service. That way, you still have most of the benefits of a land line at a fraction of the cost.
That was my original plan to port the home phone number to a VoIP provider, but then I looked at the bigger picture, and was wondering, do I really need a 905 number for my home phone when a lot of my family lives in Toronto or the other side of Toronto where long distance charges apply every time they call me or I call them? NO. So I said to heck with it, I'm cancelling this number, and I will test out the waters first without a home phone and maybe down the road when I have more free time I will sign up for a VoIP provider and get a NEW 416 number which would benefit me better because now most of my family can call me without incurring any long distance charges.

So right now, I have been able to get by without the landline, and yes the landline was part of my bundle too, but so was TV, and I cancelled BOTH, because I simply can not afford both, TV and Landline are sort of a "nice to have" right now, and NOT a "must have" so when I get more disposable income, that may change.

As for the replacement, I have informed most of the companies I do business with that my previous phone number is disconnected, and most of them do a good job at confirming with me every time I make some kind of appointment or so anyways. So far so good. The only caveat is now is that some companies prefer to solicit me via text message now that I have provided them a "cellular" number, such as dentists to confirm appointments, bills due, etc. I guess it saves them money instead of having to get their receptionists to call people manually. oh well, that is part of the whole automation topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 02:16 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Those for whom even 416 is long distance can often use a VoIP service that lets them choose where they want their number located. So, they can get a Toronto number and use it. You can also make free calls to Canada & U.S. with Google Hangouts Also, while I have free Canada wide long distance on my home phone, I don't on my cell phone. However, it has the My10 list, where I can list up to 10 Canadian numbers that don't even count against basic usage. These days, there are lots of ways around long distance charges.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 02:56 PM
Veteran

I never worried about me calling people and incurring long distance cus atleast one of my lines has domestic long distance where I can call anywhere in Canada and USA, basically able to reach all of my family in north america. I also have family who does not use the internet and does not use apps like whats app or google hangouts or stuff like that and the bulk of them live in the 416 area so having it so THey can call ME is also important too

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 2018-08-31, 08:55 AM
Veteran

My cell phone has Canada wide calling on it, so the only reason I have a landline at this point is because it's part of my bundle. If the time comes to ditch TV, the landline goes with it. As it is, we're already not really using it as it's basically a useless number to give out for any daytime purpose (we'll be at work).

When I have a phone that goes everywhere with me, having one locked to a single location simply isn't worth paying anything for.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 11:22 AM
Rookie

please help me understand. i m with videotron on cable for internet and home phone ( IP phone ?) . i want to get rid of home phone (26$/months) and change ISP . i m almost deaf and rely on ip relay videotron for phone calls and my wife with normal hearing use home phone. we sometimes send fax with our old brother intellifax 1360 plugged right into wall house phone line. question is how come fax is able to send without any of ATA or any others gadgets?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in