Wireless Internet in Amherstburg/CDP-Wise or G1 Broadband Opinions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Wireless Internet in Amherstburg/CDP-Wise or G1 Broadband Opinions

Hi,

I'm looking for some first hand experience with a wireless ISP in the Amherstburg, Ontario area. I'm stuck between two areas blessed with access to both DSL and cable...I can actually see where it's available from my house...but my only option is dial-up or wireless, and I'm completely fed up with dial-up.

Does anyone know anything about CDP-Wise out of Amherstburg, or G1 Broadband out of Harrow?

CPD-Wise states their speed won't drop below 1Mbps, but doesn't specify how fast the connection is otherwise. They want $50/month for min 1Mpbs down/182Kbps up with a 50Gb cap. They also require a 3 year contract and a $150 install fee, so I would like to know what people are seeing in the real world before I sign up. I'm worried that it will be too slow for gaming/video if it doesn't get much over 1Mpbs, and 3 years is a long time to be locked into something that isn't really fast enough for what I want to do, let alone what will be needed in the coming years.

I just ran across the G1 Broadband site tonight and know nothing about them, but they have packages ranging from 1Mpbs/512Kbps to 5Mbps/1Mbps. I may be slightly out of their coverage area, so this may end up not being much of a choice.

I just want to be able to do get online at a decent speed and do some gaming, watch videos, etc...the things most of the civilized world does online these days.

Any other wireless ISP provider suggestions? Xplornet seems to have as many complaints as positive comments. I can't find much about Lightwave...which is now Teksavvy? As you can see, I need help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

So unfortunately the G1 Broadband option is out as we're just out of their coverage area. But he suggested that we try Xplornet as an alternative, saying that they had just changed ownership and were really turning things around and taking care of many of the issues that people have complained about. Xplornets speed, bandwidth and prices look good. Their traffic management policy, less so...particularly the "Peak hours" policy where they can restrict any online activity they deem to be "non-time sensitive". Xplornet users, how does this affect you in day to day use? Is it much of an issue?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-07-03, 09:20 AM

Hi Jimmy,

What part of town are you in? I'm in Kingsbridge and we get DSL, max of about 2.5 mbps which is slow but I can atleast stream netflix and TMN GO without any problem. I have been in talks with Cogeco and they are telling me that once they re-construct Texas Road next month, Cogeco is bringing their fibre line up from town, which will hopefully give us good high speed internet speeds in the near future. Friends of ours have the internet through CDP and they are generally happy with it but I haven't had any experiences personally.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-05-16, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Hi CptCarter, we are also in Kingsbridge and actually looking at moving out of the area due to poor internet speeds. Do you have any updates on fibre installation now that they are doing Texas Road? We have had no luck getting information from anyone. Thanks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-10, 02:34 PM
Rookie

@ Jimmy James
If this is of any comfort to you, I have been searching for a provider in the postal code N9V 0B3 and I'm coming empty handed.
Explore Net is very expenses (twice as much as all the other ones)
Through my search and speaking to different companies, I was given Tek Savvy's name. I don't know how good they are. The girl on the phone seems very eager to sign me up. For me, that is an orange flag.

Also I would like to ask what cell phone carrier you have. At present, I have Freedom Mobile and after Rogers, Fido (11yrs), and Telus, I really like Freedom.
I was told by Freedom that there are two towers in Amherstburg, one pointing to the area I will be moving to, but since is about 5-6 km I might get sporadic coverage.
Would you have a better solution?

If I knew, I would have had all these problems of connectivity, I would have looked elsewhere else for a house.
Thank you, in advance, for your reply.
Kiara

BTW I e-mailed the township for information. After nearly a week...still no answer. Is this township this efficient?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-11, 08:58 AM
Veteran

I wouldn't have any issues signing up with Tek Savvy.

LONSat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-11, 02:52 PM
Veteran

My experience with Teksavvy is that they are cheaper and better to deal with than Bell. They are about on par or slightly cheaper on pricing with Rogers (depending on the service and package) but not quite as easy to deal with overall. Don't know about their wireless offering in Amherstburg but TSI is technically competent so it should be ok. I would avoid satellite. Latency is ridiculously high plus costs and speeds don't compare well with most other services.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-12, 11:48 AM

@Kiara Bell has been installing Fibre to the Home throughout Amherstburg for the last few years. Here's a related thread:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188...ml#post2945593

Your area looks like a new development. I looked up a random house in that postal code on Bell and Cogeco. Bell says they have Fibre to the Home on that street with speeds up to 1.5 Gbps. Cogeco says they have no service. Telcos usually install fibre in new developments if there is no existing copper wire infrastructure.

Once you've confirmed that Bell fibre is available, you can contact Teksavvy or other third-party providers to compare prices, the speeds they offer, etc. if you don't want to deal with Bell directly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in