New CRTC wireless code effective Dec. 2, 2013 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
In addition, the code will apply to all wireless contracts as of June 3, 2015, regardless of when they were signed.
Note that the telcos are challenging this clause in court, on the grounds that the CRTC does not have the authority to revoke existing 3 year contracts that may still be in force at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-12-15, 11:14 PM

Can I safely assume that the data overage charges do not apply to mobile internet hubs and/or tethering?
post #78 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-12-15, 11:30 PM

Yes it does as long as the agreement was entered into on or after December 2, 2013 and it is a regular consumer or small business account.

post #79 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-12-15, 11:46 PM

Then my follow up would be to what level would they throttle traffic post cap?
post #80 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-12-16, 01:06 AM

Carriers are simply required to cap domestic data overages at $50, unless consent is obtained from the customer to exceed that cap. How that is implemented is at the discretion of the carrier.

If you're wondering how the Big 3 will be doing, they will not be throttling. They will simply suspend your services once you hit $50 in overages. If you wish to use the service at all for the remainder of the bill cycle you must consent to overage charges through a browser intercept page or by text message.
post #81 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-04-20, 11:24 AM

Need to know - people moving services away from Bell

Although CRTC has eliminated the 1 month notice requirement, Bell still charge to end of the current pay period.

For example, if you are being billed Apr 1 - Apr 30 and you terminate the service Apr 5 and think you are getting a refund for the un-used 25 days of service, you are wrong.

I don't know if other providers have the same practice or not. Maybe others can share their experience so we don't end up paying for services we don't use.

How do I know ? I just experienced this first hand.
post #82 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-04-20, 02:17 PM
AFF

Yeah, that is not surprising. I wouldn't think or expect to get a credit if I cancelled within the billing period. It's the extra billing month that was removed.
post #83 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-04-29, 01:46 PM

Has anyone seen any news about being able to cancel your cell phone contract in June if you signed a 3 year deal before June 2013?

All I can find is a note on the CRTC site that this is being challenged in court.

Just curious if anyone has heard any updates?

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t13.htm

"The Wireless Code explains your rights and responsibilities as a consumer of wireless services

It establishes new standards that all wireless service providers must follow. The Wireless Code applies to all new contracts signed as of December 2, 2013. It also applies to existing contracts that are renewed or extended, or where the key terms are amended, as of December 2, 2013. In addition, the code will apply to all wireless contracts as of June 3, 2015, regardless of when they were signed. However, the June 3, 2015 date is currently under appeal."
post #84 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 01:02 PM

I was interested in this as well - I just chatted online with Bell and they said they are still waiting to hear the outcome.

June 3rd is not that far away.....
post #85 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Here is an article by The Canadian Press about yesterday's Federal Court of Appeal decision which says the CRTC “has the right to make the wireless code applicable to contracts concluded before the code came into effect.”

On June 3, 2015 the code will apply to all customers, regardless of when they signed contracts. That means that customers on 3-year contracts can walk away from their contract without paying the balance of their hardware subsidy and are in a good position to negotiate perks with their existing provider if they want to stay with that provider.

EDIT: BCE spokesman Mark Langton said "the ruling is clear and we'll comply."

Representatives from Rogers and Telus were not immediately available for comment Tuesday evening and it is not known whether they will seek further leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-05-20 at 01:38 PM. Reason: More info
post #86 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-21, 04:16 PM
Veteran

@Dr.Dave.

Anyone on a 3 year contract, who is past the 2 year point, can walk away without paying the balance, correct?

They would still have to be done 2 years of their 3.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #87 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-21, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

gdkitty, thanks for that clarification - you are right. There will be no cancellation fee after 24 months.

The CRTC web site has as section that says: "Do you want to cancel your contract? Start by letting us help you calculate your cancellation fees."

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t13.htm
post #88 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 11:17 AM

Did my upgrade to a Note 4. Rogers may have waived it regardless (have been with them forever) or may have waived it as an "exclusive to you" offer based on the ruling. The person I dealt with had no idea.

Just means my new plan cost went up as I finance the phone over a shorter period.
post #89 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 01:12 PM

rogers is waiving the remaing balance of your device so you will agree to a new share plan. they are expensive plans so its worth it in their favor in most cases
post #90 of 106 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 08:57 PM

i have mostly just skimmed this thread , but does anyone have some insight if its worth signing a new contract with koodo/fido/virgin right now before the new code deadline? there is fairly competetive deals from them right now.
will there be more similar plans as people realize they are free to change or walk?

Tags
bell , crtc , mobile , rogers , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in