New CRTC wireless code effective Dec. 2, 2013 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 04:36 PM
Veteran

^^^^
If most of your calls are to a few numbers, you can use that My10 list for unlimited calling to them. They can be anywhere in Canada and do not count against your minutes.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Unfortunately other than to my daughter who lives with me and my parents who live 5 houses away from me, I have nobody else (yes, I am without friends ).

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #63 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Sooooo what does everyone think of those oh so great 2 year plans now? Buying your phone outright never felt so right..

Wifes current plan:

Current plan 50$/m x 36 months= 1800 or $600 per year
New equivalent plan 80$/m x 24 months= 1920 or $960 per year

Total commitment is 120$ more condensing it into 2 years so about 5$ more a month. But in month 25 what happens if you dont want a new device? can u get a bring your own devise rate which would be 35$+ data of 25$?? another 720.Now paying in the 3rd year 60$ a month...... The cost of equivalent 3 year plans was way more affordable on the old 3 year plans..

OLD PLAN total 3 year outlay= 1800$
NEW PLANS over 3 years(assuming u get byod price in year 3)= 2640$

IS my math out to lunch? Am i just a whiner?

I wont even do the math on my currently 60$ plan that is now 105$

And yes i know its now unlimited talk and text ect ect... But who talks on a phone anyway? LOL

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #64 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 06:41 PM

Straight math like that doesn't work. As I said earlier in this thread, the carriers don't look at it as just losing the extra year of amortization on the subsidy, they also look at it as losing another guaranteed year of service charges. Event though they are likely to resign their customers to new contracts, they are dealing with the increased potential for churn by jacking up rates. Their revenues go up, but their revenue streams are more volatile.

I suspect we will see rates begin to drop next year with promotional offerings. Right now, the carriers are busy feeling out this new market. They mostly won't budge on standard rates, even for retentions. That will change, eventually.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #65 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 07:14 PM
Veteran

I guess I'm the minority. I still talk between 1700 to 2000 minutes each month but only use less than 1 GB data on my phone.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #66 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 07:42 PM

I cut off my Bell residential line so unlimited minutes is good to have. I see some people on forums saying they just need 150 minutes and more,much more data. In my case 150 minutes would not be enough, nor a My top10. It is not pratical for me.

So I got a $55 plan that gives me
-unlimited province wide calling.
-Unlimited caliing to the US and Canada
-Unlimited texting
-3 Gigs of data, though I use about 1 just like David
-Caller ID and Voicemail

This was 2 months before the CRTC made 2 year contracts.

So now, my contract ends next January.

I will go for a $0-$99 phone on a 2 year contract that allows me to keep my current plan and pricing. Though it won't be that latest and greatest phone. I'm OK with that because I never went for the latest models as they were usually more expensive. If that is not possible than I will continue using the phone I currently have.
post #67 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Oh i see why the carriers are doing this, but the problem is there is 3 carriers pricing the rates exactly the same way... So although there could be some churn they all essentially will end up with the same cut of the pie..... Because they fix prices..

So they will actually make more money this way assuming the loss equals there gain if this churn happens with one carrier it will with the others... Huge assumptions here but if the big 3 are price fixing they will equally loose and gain people as contracts come up for renewal.

So my straight math does work to there advantage... But as you can see it cost the end users WAY MORE then before.. about 800$ over 3 years and thats only if they agree in year 3 to give me BYOD discount and not take a new subsidized phone

David being an old school user that actually talks on a phone... Talking on a phone? LOL Do the new rates work out in your favor? What type of phone do you use?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #68 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 08:24 PM
Veteran

if things dont drop by the time i am up for renewal ill be going with the NEXUS5/6 and buy it out right, Hoping they continue there pricing structure till then....

post #69 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-29, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
... But as you can see it cost the end users WAY MORE then before...
This is what happens when one expects the people who created the problem (government, through over regulation) to solve the problem (government, with more regulation).

I hope no one really expected this to turn out better...
post #70 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-30, 01:43 PM
Veteran

The real problem is not enough competition. There are basically two main players in each region that form a duopoly that keeps rates artificially high. In the great Canadian fashion, government pays lip service to creating competition but does little to make sure that competition thrives.
post #71 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-09-30, 03:34 PM

It is not the government's job to CREATE competition. The problem is that the government has introduced, over a number of years, regulations that protect incumbents and prevent fair competition.

We can't fault the government for not creating competition, but we sure can fault them for preventing competition, which they have done in spades.

Last edited by jaxon9032; 2013-09-30 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add missing word, fix punctuation
post #72 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-10-01, 12:47 PM
Veteran

In this case, the government has an appropriate tool in the form of allocation of publicly owned frequencies. I agree that, overall, government regulation is doing more to hinder competition than promote it. One only needs to follow the history of Wind to see an example of that.
post #73 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 07:01 PM
Rookie

New CRTC Wireless Contract Changes 2013

I've compiled the facts that I could find and some articles....

New CRTC changes to code include:
  • terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term
  • cap extra data charges at $50/month and international data roaming charges at $100/month to prevent bill shock
  • have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full
  • return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service
  • accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., 2-year), and
  • receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.

Other Notes:
  • Code will apply to new contracts on December 2, 2013
  • CRTC has said its wireless code should apply to all contracts, no matter when they were entered into, by no later than June 3, 2015
  • Wireless companies are challenging the retroactive aspect of the new code. No decision from courts yet

Articles
Canadians can cancel their wireless contracts after two years under new CRTC wireless code (CRTC 06/03/2013

Canadian telcos get go-ahead to challenge retroactive ban on 3-year cellphone contracts (Financial Post 04/10/2013

CRTC's Wireless Code Of Conduct Faces Challenge From Wireless Firms (Huffington Post 10/04/2013

Canadians can cancel phone contracts without penalty after two years under new wireless code (Financial Post 03/06/2013)

5 questions about the CRTC’s new wireless code (Globalnews.ca 06/03/2013)
For my situation I'm a little over half way through my 3 year plan and eligible for a hardware upgrade. In past I believe this upgrade would just renew my 3 year contract (instead of 1.5 years left back to 3 years).

I'm happy with the amount I'm paying on this corp plan with 6GB data (so far the most I've used is 2.5GB in a month).

Would it be more beneficial for me to wait until Dec. 2nd to upgrade? Or do I lock in at current monthly rate and upfront hardware costs?

Currently all the plans available on this corp plan are 3 years, my fear is the monthly rate could possibly increase after Dec. 2 when these switch to 2 year plans.

Last edited by DylanFromCanada; 2013-10-31 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
post #74 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-11-01, 02:53 AM

Who is your wireless provider?

The big 3 have increased their monthly spend requirements in order to be eligible for a 2 year subsidy. You'll want to check with your provider to see if your current plan qualifies for a subsidy on a 2 year term. If it does not then you'll want to decide if you want to lock in on a 3 year one last time in order to get one last subsidy at your current monthly rate.
post #75 of 106 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

CRTC Press Release

CRTC wireless code comes into force: Canadians can cancel their contracts without penalty after two years

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today marked the coming into force of its wireless code, which enables Canadians to cancel their contracts at no cost after a maximum of two years. The code also makes it easier for Canadians to understand their contracts for cellphones and other mobile devices and sets out their basic rights.

"The coming into force of the wireless code marks the beginning of a more dynamic marketplace for wireless services," said Jean-Pierre Blais, Chairman of the CRTC. "Rather than feeling trapped by their contracts, Canadians will be able to make informed choices about the wireless services—and service providers—that best meet their needs every two years, if not more often. It will be in the best interests of wireless companies to adopt innovative practices to ensure their customers are satisfied and to attract new ones."

The wireless code will apply to all new contracts signed as of December 2, 2013. It will also apply to existing contracts that are renewed or extended, or where the key terms are amended, as of that same date. In addition, the code will apply to all wireless contracts as of June 3, 2015, regardless of when they were signed.

Among other things, the wireless code will allow individual and small business consumers to:
• terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees
• limit data charges in excess of the usage defined in their plans at $50/month
• limit national and international data roaming charges in excess of the usage defined in their plans at $100/month
• have their cellphone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full
• return their cellphone, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service
• accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term (i.e., 2-year) contract, and
• receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.

The CRTC developed the wireless code at the request of the wireless industry. The code addresses the main frustrations that Canadians shared with the CRTC during its public consultation, which included the length of wireless contracts, cancellation fees, bill shock and other industry practices.

For more information about the wireless code, please visit www.crtc.gc.ca/wirelesscode.

Tags
bell , crtc , mobile , rogers , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in