Rogers and Videotron to build LTE network in Québec & Ottawa - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Rogers and Videotron to build LTE network in Québec & Ottawa

Rogers and Videotron to build-out expanded LTE network in Québec and Ottawa

Shared network will bring benefits of LTE to more consumers and businesses by 2014 and expanded LTE coverage in rural regions.

Under this 20-year agreement, Videotron and Rogers will share the cost of deploying and operating a shared LTE network. Videotron and Rogers will maintain their business independence, including their product and service portfolios, billing systems and customer data.

As part of the overall agreement, Rogers and Videotron will each provide each other with services for which Rogers will receive $200 million and Videotron $93 million, payable over a period of 10 years.

Videotron will also be able to expand its handset line-up.

Quote:
In addition to the network sharing agreement, Videotron and Rogers have also come to an agreement regarding Videotron's unused AWS spectrum in the Greater Toronto Area. Videotron will have the option to transfer its Toronto spectrum licence to Rogers, subject to regulatory approvals, beginning January 1, 2014 for a price of $180 million.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 10:11 AM
Veteran

^^^^
That is something I've long believed the carriers should be doing, especially in lower density areas. It would have been very helpful for Mobilicity, Wind, Eastlink and other AWS carriers to have done that. Perhaps Mobilicity wouldn't be in it current financial situation if it had shared networks with others.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2017-06-10, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I know this thread is ancient, but I saw this press release yesterday which follows up on the original agreement.

Quebecor announces the sale of its AWS-1 spectrum licence in Toronto to Rogers

Quebecor announced today the sale of Videotron's Advanced Wireless Services (AWS-1) spectrum licence in the Greater Toronto region to Rogers Communications Canada Inc. for approximately $184 million, pursuant to the transfer option held by Videotron since 2013.

Videotron moves forward with its network investment program
This transaction will notably assist in funding Videotron's ongoing network investment plans in Quebec and Eastern Ontario. These plans include an aggressive 4G network expansion and densification, anticipated 5G network deployment and upgrades to the company's Internet Protocol (IP) wireline network. These investments will contribute to further enhance competition in wireless and wireline services in Quebec and Eastern Ontario.

Here are the details of the approval posted on Industry Canada website June 9.
Transfer of a Spectrum Licence Held by 9230-7677 Québec Inc. to Rogers Communications Canada Inc. - Spectrum management and telecommunications

I got a kick out of this tweet from a Telus exec:
Quote:
Spectrum trafficking is a profitable business! $88M windfall and round it up to $100M to cover the value of the option. #badpublicpolicy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in