Call Blocking with Phone? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Call Blocking with Phone?

These posts are old ones ,however, I am looking for info on a good call blocker. I am currently using Bell and they have a subscription blocker service but I would sooner buy my own unit. I have read various reviews ; some good and some very disappointed buyers of different units on the market. I am looking for input from folks who have personal experience with one of these devices. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 04:13 PM
Veteran

I bought a Panasonic cordless phone (with 4 handsets) that has CallerID filtering. Many phones now supports this right in the handset.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

MarcP: Thanks. How effective is it in blocking calls from all sources that you don't want to make your phone ring ? I'll have a look around and see what's out there. Do you know how many numbers it can handle ?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 07:38 PM
Veteran

It's as reliable as CallerID can be. I have about 5 numbers banned in addition to anonymous calls. Not sure what the max is, though. It doesn't support wildcards so I can't ban call from a given area code, for instance. You have to provide the full caller ID string, but the unit itself is 2 years old. I figure it got better since with other models.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 10:30 PM
tux

@MarcP I don't think that call blocking has changed much since you got your phone. I have a Panasonic, last year's model, and the features are no better. I think the limit is around 30 blocked numbers.

I find with my phone, that although it can block individual numbers, my "Talking caller ID" makes it just as easy to ignore the call and not pick up, unless they call frequently. However, the telemarketers who do call frequently, will usually have a different number show up each time they call.

One feature that I would like to have (but don't) is automatic blocking of obviously fake caller ID numbers, like 000-000-0000 or even "0000" (both of which I have received calls from). The dialing patterns for NANPA numbers is pretty straightforward: NXX-NXX-XXXX. If it's a spoofed number that doesn't even fit into the NANPA format, the cordless phone (or better yet, the phone company) should be able to just block the call without manually adding every possible fake combination to the block list.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 08:53 PM

Rob 1. I picked up the Panasonic phone KX TG4113c for this purpose. It does do the call blocking but with an annoying ring before the call block takes place. I don't know why they couldn't delay the ring until the numbers in the call block are checked. However, that said I like the phones. Price was 100 $ plus HST but you could probably find it cheaper.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 08:58 PM
Veteran

The called ID info comes between ring 1 and 2. And the phone can't assume you have caller ID service. It doesn't know until after ring 1.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks again . The DIGITONE device I read about apparently will keep your phone from ringing at all for numbers you enter to be blocked. That is what I would like.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 05:17 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The Digitone device certainly has a lot of features that go beyond the call blocking that is performed by the Panasonic phones for example.

I suppose if I were really bothered by the first ring, then this would be something I would consider, however, at this time we only answer the calls that have a distinctive ring - relating to my phone's directory anyway. And my Panasonics have a night mode, so I'm not bothered by calls at night, although the Digitone can be programmed to allow certain calls even in night mode, as well as "wild cards" and many other options like "business mode". A nice unit - of course it does cost some additional money to get something with all these features.

I'm assuming that when a call goes through to your phone you can still see the call display and can still do distinctive ring on the phone itself - I downloaded the manual and yes you can. You can even enable the "first ring", so that you hear it if desired. So basically the device "mutes" the first ring and blocks the call as appropriate, allowing non-blocked calls to go through.

Of course if you want to create a "white list", you'll have to programme those numbers into the device - a bit of a pain if all those numbers are already in your phone. Also, the white list is limited in number to 30-60 (now 50/100) numbers depending on how you programme them in. You have 80 (now 140) numbers you can block - that should be plenty especially with wild cards.

Manufacturer's Site: http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm

There are also other call blockers out there with slightly different features - some of them just stop the phone from ringing instead of hanging up, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Last edited by 57; 2014-05-08 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Updated for latest model.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-04-03, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Digitone seems to be very interesting.

I also found a product that appears to be made by 2 ex-Nortel retirees.

I checked out the site and I think it may do what I want; i) if no number is provided the call is blocked and ii) the ability to block specific numbers with wildcards.

I believe the phone won't ring unless the number meets the requirements set out.

Wouldn't have to worry about buying / shipping from the US either.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 10:08 AM

I am currently using an old computer system, Dialup Modem with CID and Voice, and a software package called PhoneTray Free from Traysoft. The software lets you create whitelists, blacklists, night mode, cutom rules like blocking an area code or prefix, call logs.
http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

I have been running it for about 5 years now and works very well. I have about 100 numbers blocked.

A none related use of this computer system is I have hooked up my external hdd drives and printer to the computer and it allows file and print sharing for my laptops and media machine.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-02-19, 06:56 AM
Rookie

Searching for a phone with custom ringers for caller ID "name" (not phone #)

hi! I'm new hear. Hoping this community might help me.

I am overwhelmed by telemarketing calls. My phone lets me block "phone numbers" - but these sneaky telemarketers often change (or fake) their phone number - so blocking a number is useless. One consistency however, is the "name" that appears on caller ID - often the same recognizable name appears (with a different phone number).

So my question is: Is there a phone out there (landline; corded or cordless) that lets you block caller "names" (or set custom ringers - like 'no ring' - for particular names). I know you can do this for numbers, but I am searching for a phone that does it based only on names.

Thanks for your help!
AL

Last edited by 57; 2014-02-19 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-02-19, 09:51 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm not sure how useful that would be since most telemarketers that I see don't have a name or also change the name. Recently I've been seeing a fair number of calls from one number but the name changed from "Factory Direct" to "W & D" (A window & door telemarketer).

I block the numbers using my Panasonic cordless phone's block list if anyone calls more then once. Once I have more than 30 (the limit on my phone) I have to start deleting the older ones before adding the new ones. Also, I have programmed my phone to have a distinctive ring for those people in my directory, so if I don't hear that distinctive ring, it's almost always a telemarketer.

If it got really bad I'd probably get one of the separate call blocking devices discussed earlier in this thread (post 9 link) which allows for a longer list (140) and can block the first ring, so you would not hear the ring (if desired). It also appears to block up to 20 names which is what you want. Link again below:

http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm Click on the FAQs at the bottom for lots of detailed information.

My Panasonic Phone also has a "night mode", so that it doesn't ring between times that I programme. Some have a "VIP" list, so that they ring through regardless.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-02-19, 12:13 PM
Veteran

Haven't really looked into it but a VOIP service might allow longer call blocking lists by number or name.

If it's really bad, using the National Do Not Call List will likely help. Not all telemarketers respect it but it should cut the number of callers. The DNCL registration needs to be renewed every few years.

Another possibility is to change phone numbers. I've done that with good success in the past. It's best if a new number is obtained, not a recycled one from another customer. Sometimes, a number that has been unused for at least a year will help.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-02-19, 12:41 PM

Many telemarketers use auto dialers, so the DNCL or a new phone number does nothing for the vast majority of telemarketers. Yeah, it'll cut down on the (legitimate) ones from Canada, but most telemarketers are not "legit" or respect the DNCL. The worst ones respect no laws, nor do they respect requests that your name be taken off their list if you answer the call and if there is someone at the other end. Many are run out of countries like India/Pakistan - see MarketPlace episode below:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...a-telemarketer See links to DNCL, Telemarketer Tips, etc.

Here's a thread on the DNCL:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=147931

BTW, never press a number if they give you the option to be removed from their list. It just means they now know that they have a legitimate number and will likely call you more. Same as replying to spam, don't.

Tags
landline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in