Fiber to the Home available to 18% of NA Households - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Fiber to the Home available to 18% of NA Households

As of April 2011, fiber to the home services were available to almost one in five homes (18 percent) of North American homes according to a recent report done by market research firm RVA LLC.

The only FTTH provider of any consequence in Canada is Bell Aliant who says they will have Fiber to 600,000 homes by the end of 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 11:49 AM
Veteran

This past January I upgraded to Shaw's "Warp" internet service which required a DOCSIS 3 modem. When the guy came to install it we got into a conversation about internet services in North America and local services. We both agreed (surprise) that Shaw currently has no real competition in the Edmonton area when it comes to high speed residential internet, but then he said something that surprised me. He said that Telus was actively running a lot of FTTH in order to get their internet performance up, and that they are doing it more aggressively than Shaw is, at least as far as he had seen.

I can totally understand why. If you're chugging along at 15mbps for most people, 25mbps for a lucky few, and TV viewing eats up some of that bandwidth; it doesn't look good when Shaw can deliver 100mbps downstream today. If I was Telus I'd be installing fiber as quickly as possible, and I would have been running fiber to the home for new houses for the past decade.

If other cable ISPs follow Shaw's lead then I suspect DSL providers are going to need to accelerate their FTTH plans if they want to stay in the game.

I know that if I had the option to give a company $2000 to run a strand of fiber to my house I would have done it already.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-06-18, 09:29 AM
Veteran

Count my little part of the world as included, at least by next fall.

Hurontel (my telco/ISP), is doing FTTP in my area, and right now, have the fibre laid on my street, and just yesterday pulled the drop to the house.

None of the fibre in this installation blitz is lit up though.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 08:51 AM

Jersey's superfast broadband

Jersey, one of the Channel Islands located off the French Coast, is introducing 1 Gbps fibre Internet. Report on the BBC website.

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13802293

Check out the speed test in the video: 565 Mbps down and 76.90 Mbps up!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-06-26, 01:43 AM

All new TELUS greenfield construction is GPON in BC and Alberta since Spring 2010. TELUS isn't placing anymore copper into new residential developments, its all fiber to the home.

- another TELUS tech
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-06-26, 01:25 PM
Veteran

The real question is when will Telus start retrofitting fiber to existing neighborhoods?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-03, 03:29 PM

DancesWithLysol,

Its already started. Mainly underground services. I'm not aware of any brownfield aerial, but it will come given time. That's a certainty.

- another TELUS tech
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-03, 05:13 PM

I remember reading not long ago analysts putting a price figure on Telus rolling out FTTH at $1.5 bill (ish) and a lengthy timeline. From what I understand they are looking at a mixture of Mini DSLAMS for Deep VDSL2 (up to 600m max loop length) mixed with greenfield fibre build outs continuing over the next few years. This should get Telus up to just about 100mbps download speeds. The only problem is this would be on VDSL2 30a profile which is no where yet. Friends who are Telus technicians are currently trialing the 17a VDSL2 profile ( Here in Edmonton & getting about 50-60 down and 20-25up) where the existing 25mbps max speeds are mainly on 8b profiles. Telus is definitely ahead of Bell here.

Shaw's Fibre Backbone is over 600k laid down - I think one of the largest in N.America. Both Shaw and Telus have agreements with housing associations in AB+BC in laying down FTTH for Greenfield locations. Running to Brownfield could cost up to $6k per home I hear.

I would think that fibre is the future but in the interim, at least for Shaw Docsis 3.0 is a cost effective solution. When we look at the short term 250mbps and longer term 500mbps are on the agenda for Shaw, and easily possible with D3 tech. With ARRIS being able to do 4.5Gbps through fibre to the node and 575mbps upload in demo's a few weeks back this tech could compliments fibre build outs over existing hybrid-fibre coax infrastructure that Shaw has. Right now to be honest I don't see the need to rush for fibre. Especially if we look at those that have FTTH, they have a low average speed. I guess it is not just the ability to do it, the back end of things needs changing up too.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 10:29 AM

The only FTTH provider I'm aware of in my part of Ontario is Wightman Telecom, which has FTTH in several towns in Wellington, Perth, and Bruce Counties, and possibly in other areas.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Wightman territory is a little east of Hurontel territory.

Both Bruce Telecom (our neighbor system to the north-west), and Hurontel have done FTTH in towns and villages for a few years now, and are building out to get more rural customers. From my research, Bruce are doing some FTTN, while Hurontel are more for FTTH. Mornington and Hay systems (I think in huron county) are also usig fibre, and have TV product.

Tags
bell aliant , fibreop , ftth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in