CRTC orders Bell, Telus and MTS to give consumers $310 million in rebates - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

CRTC orders Bell, Telus and MTS to give consumers $310 million in rebates

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) on Tuesday order Bell Aliant, Bell Canada, MTS Allstream and Telus to rebate $310.8 million to its urban landline customers.

The rebate, payable to customers residing in urban areas, must be paid out in the next six months and will range from approximately $25 to $90 per subscriber. Details on how the funds will be sent out will be made available by the respective companies in coming days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Well what do you know. The CRTC can be on our side after all.

Cheers
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 04:31 PM

Now what if we just left Telus for Shaw? I guess I won't be getting my money back for all those years?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I don't know. Details to be put out in days. I was with Bell for those years (not now) so I certainly expect a share of the pie.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 01:48 AM

So they give back $310.8 millions of the $1,6 billion that was stolen! Woopy! Talk about a great scam!!!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 09:40 AM

Now I want my thousands back from Rogers.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080, Yamaha RXV-2700, PS3, Wii, Pioneeer DVR-650H-K Recoder, Paradigm Monitor speakers
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 10:02 AM
U

People don't take the time to read... Always assuming Bell is after their first born.

Firstly, know that the money that was overcharged by Bell in urban areas was a result of an order from the CRTC for Bell to set aside a fund to be used at a later date to bring technologies to rural areas.

Secondly, a portion of the fund will be used for rebates to people in urban areas because apparently the CRTC asked Bell to put too much money aside.

Thirdly, Bell wanted to use the money in rural areas to bring HSPA+ services but the CRTC instead ordered them to deploy DSL. Not sure how to read that one... Looking at the money Bell charges for Internet via HSPA+ vs. DSL I would say the CRTC was wise in their decision. But I also question the viability of DSL in rural areas with distance limitations and all. Maybe HSPA+ with a CRTC mandated tariff for rural areas would have been better...
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 10:29 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
When I watched the news last night, they stated that if you're not a current customer, or haven't been for a couple of months (can't remember the exact month), you won't get a rebate.

I too believe that since I paid into this for the entire time, then I'm entitled to a rebate as a former Bell customer.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 11:34 AM

Here's the CRTC ruling. The other companies have identical wording. It seems like former customers are out of luck. (non-HCSAs means non-high-cost serving areas)
Quote:
51. In the Commission's view, the effort associated with tracking down subscribers of record as of 17 January 2008 would introduce undue complexity, delays, and costs that could be avoided by applying the rebate to current subscribers. Accordingly, in the interest of benefiting subscribers to the greatest extent possible, the Commission directs the Bell companies to rebate their residential subscribers of record in non-HCSAs as of the date of this decision.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 02:25 AM

Am not blaming Bell am blaming the CRTC who using our money to bring the 21th century to every village of this country! Am sorry to say but if you live in a rural area you likely don't have a bus or a cab to take you to work either should we subsidize that to? You pay a lot less property tax than we do, and your air is probably way better! You might have to drive an hour to get to the nearest supermarket but you don't spend an hour a day every day stuck in traffic either!

I get DSL you get dial-up you want DSL pay the damn surcharge yourself! Or we can make a better deal you get DSL with that 1.6 billion that the CRTC stole from us and I get fiber at the price of DSL and you're paying for my fiber subsidies!

Last edited by 57; 2010-09-03 at 03:45 PM. Reason: language
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 08:17 AM

well said!
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 08:37 AM
U

mahdi19, tell us how you really feel!

Well said though, couldn't agree more...
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 09:01 AM

mahdi19....
without the "villages" of this country you would probably be having concrete and plastic for lunch. Bon Appetit!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 09:22 AM
U

Good point... But does it mean we have to subsidize their DSL?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 09:26 AM

madhi19, are you just assuming that people in rural areas don't pay much tax? I know that my parents pay a hell of a lot more in taxes (about 3 times) than I do living in a city, and get a hell of a lot less in services.

Maybe you should consider moving out of an area that blankets you in smog and leaves you sitting in gridlock for an hour a day.

They also have no access to DSL or even HSPA because they live in a cellular dead spot. They still make do with dial-up

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200

Tags
mts , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in