Aliant rolling out FTTH in New Brunswick - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 04:07 PM

The way I look at the internet side of this is this. Trying to compare apples to apples, which of course is very difficult.

Rogers Extreme Plus 25 D / I U = 95.95 + 25 (overage) + 4 (modem rental) = 124.95.
FibreOp 20 D / 5 U = 99.95 or 89.99 on a year contact.

Even if you take Extreme @ 59.95 + 25 overage = 84.95. Aliant gives you an UNLIMITED and UNTROTTLED connection. You can see who is the clear winner.

5 U opens up so many options. The biggest one for me is streaming HD content via a slingbox. But alass, I'm in Moncton. So close, yet so very very far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 04:45 PM

I know I won't be buying at that price, for Extreme I pay $54.99 and never had to pay "overage" 10D / 1U ....the more I think of it I probably could downgrade to Express and be totally happy. I do admit I love Expressvu way more than rogers cable but I have never tried Aliant cable(FTTH) before is it anything like Expressvu?
post #78 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 07:16 AM

I agree as well that the pricing does not appear to be very appetizing at this point, but if one were to think about those that have "everything" with Bell/Aliant it could actually work out to save money in a bundle (haven't calculated nor called anyone yet - still too new and not in New Maryland yet).

For me, for example, I have everything with Bell/Aliant - home phone, internet, mobility and TV (BellTV/Expressvu). If I were to consider upgrading, I am roughly figuring it out to be about $170/month for Internet, Phone and TV. This could actually turn out to be a savings for me if I were to sit down and go through it.

Will I move from my Hi-Speed Ultra to FibreOp if they were to come by my house? Not at that price... that's almost double what I am paying now. I still have another 9 months of my current BellTV contract to get through. Maybe they will have the grid expanded and the pricing a little better. Here's hoping - can't wait! *fingers crossed*

post #79 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 06:23 PM

The way they worded it "As low as" $89.95 tells me that's how much it would cost after you bundle it...maybe I'm wrong though.I imagine you could threaten to cancel and they may give you a better deal though.
post #80 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 07:44 PM
Veteran

I will easily bite that FiberOp is a better deal when compared to Rogers and I will also agree that we cannot get Verizon so in that respect, they are not comparable.

However...

This does not negate the fact that the prices are far too high no matter what.

Canada is ranked 14th most expensive and 24th of 30 for speed, world wide. The prices that are charged are ludicrous and that is all there is to be said. Most of Europe and Asia are far better off than us.

As for should this totally impact you getting it? That is a per case issue. As habskilla says, this is an awesome opportunity for devices like the Slingbox for for services like SageTV Placeshifter. So if you see the overall value in it for you, great but overall the price sucks.

Last edited by Danster; 2009-09-23 at 05:14 PM. Reason: edited a bad word
post #81 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 11:06 AM

Does anyone know what they do for installations in apartment buildings?

I live in a 25ish year old building where all the wires have been run (copper, coax, etc) and its kinda... there. For home phone, rogers just cut the POTS wire at the "main connection room" at the entrance, then just used a splitter on my cable in my apt to plug the modem, in my apt, with the modem plugged in a "splitter" plate on the wall with dual jacks, my phone plugs in the 2nd jack of that plate, that way i have the phone in all my other jacks in the apt.

But for fiber... will they put a fiber box at the entrance, and run the rest on the copper that is going to the apt.? (that is what i HEARD they do on some installs at some place, maybe Verizon... heck they are the only one ?) Or will they have to run fiber in the buildings?

yes i'm not in Fred. but i'm just curious. If they bring it here i will surely switch.
post #82 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 04:14 PM

More Info from IPTV News

Bell Aliant releases pricing of FibreOP services24.09.09

Canadian telco Bell Aliant has released details of the pricing of its new 'FibreOP' services, delivered over its new fibre-to-the-home network in Fredericton (New Brunswick province), which it announced earlier this week.

Customers can add 'FibreOP TV' to an existing Bell Aliant Value Package for prices starting at CA$ 35.95 (US$ 33.48). The Bell Aliant Value Package starts at CA$ 122.95 per month, which includes fixed-line telephony, a broadband connection of up to 7 Mbps download speeds, and FibreOP TV.

A higher-tier Value Package costing CA$ 159.95 per month offers fixed-line telephony, a 20 Mbps FibreOP broadband connection with four security services, and FibreOP TV with high-definition content.

Pricing and package options will vary depending on which services customers already have, the number of TVs they wish to connect and the channel line-up they are interested in.
post #83 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-01, 04:11 PM
Rookie

If you live in an apartment building with more than 6 units then you cannot get fibre to the home. This may change in the future but for right now thats how it is.
post #84 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-01, 08:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7logan View Post
If you live in an apartment building with more than 6 units then you cannot get fibre to the home. This may change in the future but for right now thats how it is.
So that would be FJCETYHTRAY Fibre Just Close Enough To Your Home To Really Annoy You?
post #85 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 09:08 AM

If they install fibre in your buildings service room, and run copper to your appartment you are still going to be able to take advantage of all the services and speed.
post #86 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 09:34 AM
Rookie

Haha, yeah something like that. The reason behind this is the amount of equipment that has to be installed for just one customer.

Last edited by j7logan; 2009-10-02 at 01:16 PM.
post #87 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 08:15 AM

Has anyone had FiberOP installed yet? i would be intrested to hear about the installation as well as see a speedtest result and thoughts on the service.
post #88 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 06:30 PM

Some users have posted their experiences in the forum "IPTV - Internet Protocol Television Providers including Aliant, MTS, and Sasktel Max".
post #89 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 07:17 PM
Veteran

I would suggest that if anyone posts speed results, that they be kept in this specific forum category in a new thread as that other forum category is for IPTV and not internet speed results...
post #90 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 08:07 PM
Veteran

Yeah I got it today. Installation took all day (8 hours). I've got a box outside the house for the fiber connection, which runs an ethernet cable inside to a modem unit. That has connections for computers, wifi, TV, etc.

I've got two TV boxes (one HD PVR, one standard). Those are hooked up using the coax wiring that was already in the house, so that was pretty easy. Picture quality is pretty meh, honestly. I'm disappointed there.

Internet is hooked up either using the built in wireless, or the built in ethernet ports, or (what I did) by running an ethernet cable to your existing router and using it as a switch instead of a router. Internet speed is pretty awesome, to the Montreal speedtest server I get the promised 20 down/5 up. Downloads off Impulse were also really fast (2.5 megabytes/second).

Tags
aliant , ftth , iptv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in