Aliant rolling out FTTH in New Brunswick - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 10:42 AM
Veteran

Ouch on the Internet pricing... I understand it's fast, but if $89.95 is your starting point, that's gonna be a tough one for a lot of people to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 10:54 AM

I agree, i would rather see a 5/5 or 7/5 package with prices more inline with their adsl, also more detail on the tv would have been nice, all they said was starting at 39.95
post #63 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 03:07 PM
Rookie

I just called to see if FibreOp is available on my street, and it is. I live on Clark Street in Devon.

I currently have the High Speed Ultra, for which I am paying $44.95. They said if I wanted to keep this speed but add HD TV service the price would be $121.95. To upgrade to the 20 down/5 up speed, the cost would be $139.95. This gives you all the basic HD and SD channels plus your choice of one of the theme packs (such as HD sports).

He said installation would take about four hours (no charge though), and they put a box outside your house. He also said that the new modem is significantly larger than the normal Aliant modem. Also, there is NO BANDWIDTH CAP.

A friend just ordered it (he lives out towards Douglas, off of the 105), it is getting installed October 13 (earliest date it is available, apparently).

You have to sign a year contract, and there is a $99 early cancellation fee.

post #64 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 05:42 PM
wef
Rookie

I just got off the phone with them. My install date is Oct 13th. I bundled basic phone, 5c long distance, basic hdtv (1 theme) and basic fibre (20 down/5 up). It came to something like 144.95. Definitely not cheap, but hopefully worth it.

I did ask about contracts and the guy said there wasn't any. He said they just need one month notice for cancellation.
post #65 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Aliant rolls out Fibre to the Home in Fredericton
FRIDAY, 18 SEPTEMBER 2009
In July of this year, Bell Aliant announced that by the middle of 2010, 70,000 homes in Fredericton and Saint John New Brunswick will have the fastest broadband connections in the country thanks to fibre to the home (FTTH) technology.

Today the company announced that its FibreOP residential services is now being rolled out on the north side of Fredericton and that remaining areas of Fredericton and Saint John will receive service between now and the middle of next year.

FTTH connectivity is notable because it allows providers to offer numerous services such as high definition television along with blazing fast upload and download speeds. Aliant says it will be offering internet services at speeds of up to 35Mbps download with 10Mbps upload along with HD television service.

FibreOP television starts at $35.95 per month while FibreOP internet with 20Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload will cost $89.95 per month. A 35Mbps download / 10Mbps upload service is priced at $109.95 per month. FibreOP services - telephone, internet, digital television - can be purchased alone or bundled together.
20Mbps down 5Mbps up $89.95 a month,that's ridiculous...about $20 bucks more than I thought it would be.
post #66 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 08:40 AM
Veteran

I agree the price for the internet service is insane...

Just because NB has not been slaughtered by the recession doe not mean you can come in and charge that price for a non-essential service!!!

For comparison, here are the FTTH prices from Verizon (If you have home phone too):
  • 15D / 5U - $49.99 with exchange: $53.43
  • 25D / 15U - $64.99 with exchange: $69.46
  • 50D / 20U - $139.95 with exchange: $149.58

Even if we rounded these up a little in price, they are still lower than what we are about to be charged... And remember boys and girls, FTTH is FTTH is FTTH.

I guess we can just hope that the prices slide down a little as they get more deployed but I also would be plenty happy with say $10 more than my current Aliant package and then it be 5/5 or 10/5 instead of 5/0.6 like it is now.
post #67 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 03:18 PM

They will have to lower there prices I can't see anyone paying $90 for there cheapest service.

$69.99 is a fair price with phone and even then like que3jxp pointed out it is still high compared to verizon.

Aliant
20D / 5U As low as $89.95 ($99.95 without a 1 year contract)
35D /10U As low as $109.95 ($119 without a 1 year contract)

Verizon
15D / 5U - $49.99 with exchange: $53.43
25D / 15U - $64.99 with exchange: $69.46

Last edited by Danster; 2009-09-19 at 05:25 PM. Reason: minor typo
post #68 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 04:07 PM

If they had priced it 15 to 20 bucks cheaper i would have switched from rogers(i have phone, tv and internet bundled) in a second, but at these prices it's just not worth my time to switch
post #69 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 10:20 PM

Makes me wonder how long it'll be until it reaches Nova Scotia, and then Newfoundland.
post #70 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 09:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly View Post
They will have to lower there prices I can't see anyone paying $90 for there cheapest service.
Considering people have already ordered it, I would say you're wrong.

It is expensive but it seems to be more reasonable when bundled with other services.
post #71 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 11:13 AM
Veteran

The TV side of it seems to be pretty reasonably priced compared to Rogers out here, we wound up getting TMN (which we don't have now) for basically the same TV bill. PVR rental is a LOT cheaper.

On the Internet side... yeah its expensive, but its also four times faster then what you can get from their DSL service on download, and ten times faster on upload (and that's the lower tier). So it's not like its a lot of money for a small difference, if you ever do serious telecommuting or work that requires a lot of uploading, that is a huge performance increase.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower tier cheaper service appear next year. The installations right now are a big deal (each installer is only scheduled for two a day, 4 hours each) and they probably want to start with the higher end customers to keep the waiting list from growing too long.

Besides, Verizon isn't a good comparison. Compare the cost to Aliant's actual competition: Rogers.

In NB, the closest service equivalent is Rogers Extreme Plus, which is $96 for 25 down, 1 up, and a 125GB usage cap.

Comparatively, $90 for 20 down, 5 up, and no cap (according to the person I spoke to on the phone yesterday)? Seems pretty good when you compare it that way.
post #72 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 11:58 AM
Rookie

The lack of a cap is a huge selling feature and that's the reason I don't use Rogers anymore.

Does anyone know if you can get HBO Canada outside of the movies package? I don't want to spend the ~$20 a month on the movie package but I'd probably spend $5-7 just for HBO.
post #73 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 12:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Besides, Verizon isn't a good comparison. Compare the cost to Aliant's actual competition: Rogers.
Not exactly true. Verizon is the only other telco in NA that is selling FTTH so it is the only one that can be looked at for apples to apples cost comparisons.

The REAL pricing problem for Aliant is that in most Atlantic markets, there has been no increase in speed of DSL service for a LONG time. Then, when they finally come out with a good jump, the price diff is enormous. If anything, the "No Cap" feature will hopefully force Rogers to drop their caps in the same markets.

At the technical level, FTTH is the only upgrade path for the POTS based telco companies as they have sat on their hands for so long. They have monetized their old copper infrastructure better than anything out there and then when they upgrade, finally, they sell the service like the music industry sold us CDs over cassettes. (For those that are not aware, the music industry got in crap in the USA for gouging on CD prices and lost a massive class action.)

Quote:
Considering people have already ordered it, I would say you're wrong.
That is a straw man. It is inevitable that SOMEONE will buy/order ANY new product/service. The greater point is that the uptake will be VERY small compared to what it COULD be if the prices were better. Enthusiasts and bit torrent freaks will be all over this stuff but really, what percentage of the population is that?

The only really good reasoning that I can see for the prices is that early adopters are always a good source of income and that the price will also allow them to keep just enough people off the new network just in case there is an issue with provisioning and they do not want to overload the network right away.
post #74 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 12:14 PM
Rookie

But like I pointed out above, the pricing is not as unreasonable if you start bundling things together, and that's exactly what BellAliant wants its customers to do. There is no doubt that Rogers has been hurting BellAliant because it makes little sense for many people to have services from both companies. Since BellAliant was not able to offer many of its customers its TV service, a lot of people relied on Rogers for home phone and internet in addition to TV.

Now, BellAliant has some clear advantages over Rogers with FibreOp. The price I was quoted that I mentioned above ($140 for TV and internet) is not unreasonable considering the speed being offered, and it isn't a whole lot more than I used to pay for Rogers for significantly slower internet and TV, not to mention the fact that I was saddled with a cap.

Another point I wanted to make is that the first month of FibreOp service is free conditional to the customer filling out a survey during the first 30 days of service. A nice little bonus.
post #75 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
Not exactly true. Verizon is the only other telco in NA that is selling FTTH so it is the only one that can be looked at for apples to apples cost comparisons.

The REAL pricing problem for Aliant is that in most Atlantic markets, there has been no increase in speed of DSL service for a LONG time. Then, when they finally come out with a good jump, the price diff is enormous. If anything, the "No Cap" feature will hopefully force Rogers to drop their caps in the same markets.

At the technical level, FTTH is the only upgrade path for the POTS based telco companies as they have sat on their hands for so long. They have monetized their old copper infrastructure better than anything out there and then when they upgrade, finally, they sell the service like the music industry sold us CDs over cassettes. (For those that are not aware, the music industry got in crap in the USA for gouging on CD prices and lost a massive class action.)
I guess it depends on what you want to compare. What matters to me is what I can actually get. I can't get Verizon. So their prices mean very little to me. I can get FibreOP, and that appears to be beating Rogers pretty handily.

If you want to compare what FTTH customers in different parts of the world can get, then we're not doing so well. Then again, on most such comparisons, the US' Internet service and pricing also does pretty badly compared to some Asian countries.

(Definitely agree about the bundling Oliver, we're able to keep the same total TV bill and add in TMN, which we don't have on Rogers. I also didn't know about the survey, thats a nice touch!)

Tags
aliant , ftth , iptv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in