Aliant rolling out FTTH in New Brunswick - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 07:39 PM

I thought it would be faster to,I think Rogers extreme plus is 18mbps so it is a bit faster for downloading,I think the upload speed is way better then Extreme plus though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 08:32 PM

My guess is that Fibre Op will give ROGERS a run for their money by giving just a bit more speed for the same price as Extreme with ROGERS.

I'm tempted to jump ship but I wish someone would let us know if they will have full uncompressed HDTV or just pipe what they offer on satellite as is, no retouch. If that's the case, I'd say no.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #33 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-19, 08:45 AM

As an example of U.S. speeds, Verizon FIOS offers 3 plans:
  • Download up to 15 Mbps / Upload up to 5 Mbps
  • Download up to 25 Mbps / Upload up to 15 Mbps
  • Download up to 50 Mbps / Upload up to 20 Mbps

post #34 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-19, 06:57 PM

Verizon Fios prices(U.S) 5 dollar more without the phone service.

Download up to 15 Mbps / Upload up to 5 Mbps = $44.99/mo. (with phone)

Download up to 25 Mbps / Upload up to 15 Mbps = $64.99/mo. (with phone)

Download up to 50 Mbps / Upload up to 20 Mbps = $139.95/mo.(with phone)

If Aliant offers these speeds with the same prices plan 1 (15Mbps down/5upload) and plan 2 (25mbps down/ 15 upload) look pretty good Considering I'm paying $54.99 on Rogers Extreme with a 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.
post #35 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 12:13 AM
Veteran

You guys are kinda putting the cart before the horse. FTTH can mean a lot of things - what speeds you'll get will depend on what technology they're using.
post #36 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I'm tempted to jump ship but I wish someone would let us know if they will have full uncompressed HDTV or just pipe what they offer on satellite as is, no retouch. If that's the case, I'd say no.
I am on that fence too - however - I can't go anywhere yet anyway... two reasons:

1) No mention of New Maryland yet (or WHEN it'll all be completed anyway)

2) I just resigned with Bell TV for another year for my discount, so I can't go anywhere until next summer ANYWAY.

As for the HDTV and whether it will be compressed or not, I find it strange that, while looking through the bundles for BellAliant IPTV, they are quite different from the offerings of Bell TV! Perhaps they are running a different "ship" here in Atlantic Canada. Or not... won't know - what about the users ALREADY using BellAliant TV? What are they reporting right now? Any compression now?

SO - again - I guess we all just need to sit tight until the wires are connected and the juice (uh, I mean the LIGHT) starts flowing! It'll be a fun ride!
post #37 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 11:27 AM

Hopefully they'll have a full display of the capabilities at the Bell shop in the Regent Mall. I want to see it from my own eyes , the HDTV part, how fast we can surf and so on. That will be the turning point to my decision.

Travisc, we're not putting the horse before the cart. We're merely speculating since there isn't any meat or info as too what will be available. We have ads in NB that take up full newspaper pages with big letters and no info at all. They say things like "You'll see HD like you've never seen before" and "You'll surf the web faster than ever"

To me, those ads mean nothing and that's why I like to compare it with other already existing installations, at least it gives me (us) an idea of what to expect. I don't like being teased with nothing..

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #38 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You guys are kinda putting the cart before the horse. FTTH can mean a lot of things - what speeds you'll get will depend on what technology they're using.
"Bell Aliant has recently updated its fibre to the node technology to VDSL2 which allows Bell Aliant to enhance its IPTV and Internet offerings."

I don't know to much about this stuff but does VDSL2 have any significance?
post #39 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 09:44 AM

This is what VDSL2 means:
VDSL2 is the newest and most advanced standard of DSL broadband wireline communications. Designed to support the wide deployment of Triple Play services such as voice, video, data, high definition television (HDTV) and interactive gaming. VDSL2 is proported to enable operators and carriers to gradually, flexibly, and cost efficiently upgrade existing xDSL-infrastructure.

post #40 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 10:57 AM
Veteran

But VDSL2 is not FTTH, so it's not relevant to this discussion, I don't believe.
post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 12:25 PM

Yes and no. The vdsl2 goes from fibre to copper wires so it might have something to do with what Aliant will be installing in NB...or maybe not. Like I wrote before, there isn't much info as to what FibreOp will give/bring us .

post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Talking

I saw them running the fibre line down my street yesterday. Had a nice chat with one of the workers when he was standing in my driveway, though he didn't have a lot of details about it. It looks like Northside Fredericton will be online sooner rather then later, I'd say this year.

I'm particularly interested in the TV offering. The Internet is awesome, but I already use Aliant because they don't do traffic shaping on World of Warcraft patches like Rogers does (seriously Rogers, stop that! it's not like millions of people play the game or anything). Aliant's current TV offering doesn't exactly have a great channel lineup though, so I want to see if they're going to beef that up when they have so much more bandwidth to use.

As for why they're doing it in NB first - they also mentioned the aerial network. Everything in Fredericton just about is on poles, there's very few areas with underground cabling (except from the pole to the house, but those are short runs). That makes it cheaper to deploy then digging up city streets. The NB government also agreed to renew some existing Aliant contracts in addition to the mentioned financial support, and those contracts are worth significant money.

Someone down my street has one of those signs, I'm pretty excited!
post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-22, 06:15 AM

Hey Tridus - what street are you on (subdivision... )? I've got friends on the northside (my folks too) that are interested. I'm most likely gonna have to hold out longer, but I am a patient man.... (yeah right!!!)

As William Shatner used to say "Make Fiber Your Friend" (his All Bran Challenge) - yeah, I know different fiber, different spelling, but who cares... it's Shatner!
post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-22, 03:17 PM

Yes.. which street? I'm also on the northside and would like to know if it was close!

KDL52XBR5 / AVR-689 / 5.1 RM85 / Sub PSW125 / DCT6200 / Xbox 360 / Popcorn Hour A-110 / Harmony 670
post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-22, 05:55 PM
wef
Rookie

FYI, I spotted one of those signs on Watters Dr. if anyone lives around there.

I live on Northside, just east of Princess Margaret Bridge (near Ramada Hotel). I would be extremely surprised if we get anything in this area. I can't even get High Speed Ultra from Aliant because I'm too far away from the service station. I'm stuck with regular High Speed, and capped at 180KB/s downloads because of my location.

Tags
aliant , ftth , iptv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in