Aliant rolling out FTTH in New Brunswick - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-14, 03:00 PM

Thumbs up Found out today I'm in the Fibre zone...

There was a man walking around my street today and I thought he might be with DOT, which I need to talk too.
To my dissapointment, he wasn't. That was short lived. He was a sub contractor for Aliant measuring for the fibre op on our street.

I had quite a good chat with him, trying to get as much info as possible. Right now, there are some people on the north side doing the beta testing already. Most of the northside is all wired up. I gather from what he said that the FO would go as far as just past the Petro Canada at the end of main street. They are laying fibre op cable where there are the most people in relatively short distance. He had just done Tamarack park yesterday where there are over 400 homes under 3 square kilometer. I guess that's why we are added to the list because of them. Where I live, we are about 100 in 5 sqaure kilometer.

He told me that New Maryland area stops near Sunset Drive near the Ultramar gas station. They don't have enough density after that.

Having said that, I'm sure Oromocto will be also on the list cause they sure have lots of homes in that area in a relatively small area as far as the military quarters go.

I asked him when would I expect to get the cable laid on my street and he said Main Srteet had been surveyed at the end of March and they where almost all done as we speak so before years end, I should have it.

Now I wonder if Aliant would take my dual tuner PVR's from ROGERS and exchange them with whatever they need or have in order to please me?

I asked him about pricing and he said it will be very competitive with ROGERS as far as what I have right now (cell, home phone, internet and digital TV) and that would be at lightning speed of course. I asked him if he knew if Bell would be sending the HD channels as originally broadcasted by companies or would they just send them compressed as on the satellite and he didn't know that part of the specs.

All in all, a very good chat. Did I mention I know for a fact that my street is slated for Fibre Op?

He said if I called Aliant, they would probably deny it but he said if my street wasn't on it, we wouldn't have had that chat.

Oh, and my street is slated to have Fibre Op Cable.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-14, 09:48 PM

Yeah...I saw a lot of Aliant trucks in my neighbourhood (Nashwaaksis) about a week ago...wasn't sure what they were doing until I saw this announcement.
post #18 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-15, 09:08 AM
Veteran

If people look at the news releases, the number one official cited reason (Other than Gov't money) is that Aliant wants to roll IPTV service in SJ and Freddy and they cannot without a network upgrade. So rolling FTTH in these two cities delivers two benefits. A showcase and the ability to roll an existing service into new markets.

post #19 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-15, 05:53 PM

Driving back from Miramichi today i noticed two homes as i was coming into fredericton with lawn signs that said "FirbreOp is coming to this home" but i have yet to hear any pricing information or any information for that matter
post #20 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-15, 07:04 PM

I guess until they answer our email when we sign up for the service, it may take a while. Like the guy I spoke with told me, they will have to make it very competitive with ROGERS.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #21 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 06:48 AM

One response I got from a friend who works for BellAliant (VERY reliable) said that New Maryland is currently in the "undecided expansion" phase. Meaning that if there is enough interest, they will look closer...

Everyone in New Maryland needs to go to BellAliant.net and sign up for "I want it - tell me when it's available".

https://public.bellaliant.net/FibreOp/

The bottom of the form says

Quote:
++ Please note we are only taking customer information for Fredericton and Saint John at this time.
But sign the form anyway - this is the only they will know who wants it! SIGN UP PEOPLE!
post #22 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 08:21 AM

Too bad this isn't being rolled out in Moncton, I am though happy to see some new things happening however so to those that live in the areas of deployment have fun once it's up and going.
post #23 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 10:20 AM

I just assumed when they said fredericton they ment new maryland too, god I hope we get it
post #24 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 10:46 AM

Like I posted before, the guy that was hired to take inventory of the area where it should go, told me that New MAryland was slated to be on the list as well. I'm not trying to go against can3gxw's friend who's in the know, I'm just going with what the dude told me.

He even told me that someone had called Aliant to give them poop because the survey stopped 2 houses before his....

He also told me that when they advertised saying that St-John and Fredericton were announced as being the ones choosen for fibre op, they would included the high density areas living close by. Charter Settlement for example wouldn't get anything since the population is so spread out.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where exactly they will be putting it. Let's just say that even though I'm in the zone to get it, I'm not packing away all my ROGERS eqpt away yet....

post #25 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 12:04 PM

Danster - man... I wasn't trying to diss your earlier post AT ALL - I hope the contractor was right and more forthcoming than Aliant is... I am in Centennial Heights, right in the heart of NM.... right near the highway...

When I read your post earlier, I had to ask her "is it true?" Just to see her response - maybe they don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

If they decide not to, I will be sort of disappointed, however - if they DO upgrade, wow... look out!

*fingers crossed* - only time will tell.
post #26 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 03:26 PM

No harm done. Like everything in this province, everything has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. He told me that if I was to call Aliant about it, they would probably deny about anything.

Reminds me when ROGERS was installing the High Speed internet in our location, if I called ROGERS about it, they said they had no idea as to when we'd be getting it. They were even telling me that our area was not slated to get it till much later....all while I could actually see the contracted people install the necessary eqpt in the poles in front of my house!!

Like I mentionned previously, it isn't hooked to my house yet....

I did a few searches to see what the US offered as far as speed goes on Op cable and Verizon has 25/15 mbps download/upload. If ROGERS is coming out with their new docsis 3.0 in order to achieve these speeds at a much higher $$$, I guess it won't be much of a brainer to see where I'll be going to. I just hope that at these speeds, Aliant won't be putting bandwidth caps. I'd like to be able to stream HD programming like NASA TV.

post #27 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 12:07 AM

Aliant brings FTTH (Fiber to the home) in New Brunswick

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...socialcomments

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/...9b3a9e86d.html

Quote:
Aliant plans to offer FibreOp, through aerial cables, to residents and businesses in Fredericton and Saint John. The province is contributing $1 million to the project

Bell Aliant Regional Communications LP plans to offer fibre optic connectivity to 70,000 homes and businesses in Fredericton and Saint John, New Brunswick, but is not saying what data transfer rates will be available.

This is “great news for small businesses that may not have access to all the infrastructure” that larger businesses might have, said Amit Kaminer, an analyst with the Montreal-based SeaBoard Group.

“It’s great news to see one of the Canadian telcos actually picking up the fibre to the home flag and pushing all the way through.” he said.

More in Network World Canada
Aliant promises broadband for all Prince Edward Islanders
Aliant announced this week by the middle of next year, it will have fibre to the home available to Fredericton and Saint John. It already has fibre to the node service available to 240,000 customers, meaning those users would rely on copper cabling for the last mile.

The fibre to the home service, dubbed FibreOp, will entail aerial cabling to optical network terminals on the exterior of customers’ buildings and will cost Aliant $60 million. The province is contributing $1 million on condition that $3 million worth of contracts be offered to local firms.

“It’s an aerial deployment, so it’s putting New Brunswick in the in forefront of technology,” Kaminer said. “It’s a torpedo launch at their competitors.”

It wasn’t clear how or if Aliant would provide cabling from customers' optical network terminals to their modems or whether customers would need to do this work themselves.

“Just like with any other service, the customer would call us and ask for installation and we would need to do some work outside to connect the service to their home,” said Aliant spokesperson Isabelle Robinson. “There’s services or equipment they would have to have within their home, their modem, or their set top box for their television service.”

The company has yet to announce pricing or service packages, but it will include television and high-speed Internet, Robinson said.
Apparently Saint John and Fredericton will be the first and have it in the country and will be the fastest internet in the Country when completed next year.?
post #28 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 08:35 AM

Now here is a company who knows what they're doing and cares about the customers.
post #29 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 05:00 PM

Sorry didn't realize there was another thread about this.Does anyone know what kind of speeds they will be offering?How fast can FTTH go?
post #30 of 124 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 05:52 PM

No problem, I had merge your thread to this one.

As for the speeds, nothing is announced as of yet. I searched to see what the states offer with fibre op and the average seems to be around 25-30 mbps. I thought it would be faster than that...

Tags
aliant , ftth , iptv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in