Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Channel Discussion Thread

325K views 2K replies 113 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
This thread will be for rumours, channel deletions and complaining about any channel not offered by Shaw Direct, or not functioning properly.
Actual confirmed new channel announcements and channel deletions will now have their own thread.
Shaw Direct Official Channel Announcement Thread

#217 ·
I seem to have either not noticed, or Shaw recently took away one, SD movie channel (MFest), which was on channel 605 classic lineup east. Now that channel is TMN 1 West. Surely they could have found enough space in the SD band for TMN 1 W without taking away another movie channel, no? It appears HBO 1&2 are repeated twice between 600 and 621.
Any idea when this happened? It would be nice of Shaw to send emails saying "hey loser, we've taken away another channel you signed up and are paying for"
No?
Just me?

#218 ·
#219 ·
TMN4 is just a two hour offset of TMN1 now, whereas before M, MFest, MFun and Mxcess all had somewhat independent schedules. The way Shaw Direct shows the channels in the guide is TMN1, TMN2, TMN3, TMN1W which in effect is TMN4. I know the TMN site shows TMN1-4 but Shaw Direct labels TMN4 as TMN1W. For Eastern subscribers TMN4 = TMN1West.

Bell Media is the one who reduced the number of TMN multiplexes when they took over MC.

#225 ·
Thanks, that seems to be correct, i.e. we lost one movie channel, and gained a west coast time-shift. I still don't see why they had to kill one of the channels we were paying for. It's not as if we have four movie networks to choose from as they do in the U.S.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, pay more, get less, at Shaw Direct!

#222 ·
I no longer have TMN. but on what channel does TMN show there Showtime collection? Because if itslike HBO, why then does Bell Media just rename one of the TMN channels to Showtime Canada, so s an example

TMN 1E
TMN 2E
TMN 1W
TMN 2W
Showtime E
Showtime W
HBO E
HBO W
Encore 1E
Encore 2E
Encore 1W
Encore 2W

It wuld be simple as that?Because from what I can gather(not sure of the providers out werst) it went something lke this:

MC 1 became TMN 1W
MC 2 became TMN 2W
MC 3 became TMN 3W
??? became TMN 4(1E(on some providers)
Avenue 1 became Encore 1W
Avenue 2 became Encore 2W
HBO stayed the same(for those that carried it out west)

It would be nice to get both East & West feeds?

#226 ·
The fact that TMN (Astral/Bell) has changed the programming on TMN4 has nothing to do with Shaw Direct. You can see the programming on TMN's website.

The Movie Network - On Air Schedule

Almost all of the (new) programming airs on TMN1, but is repeated there and on the other TMN channels at various times. (Some of the "Adult" programming only airs on TMN3)

#227 ·
They didn't 'change' the programming, they eliminated TMN4 and replaced it with a time delayed TMN1. And while true, it's not Shaw who decides on TMN's politics, it IS Shaw who my payment is sent to. If we are to receive on less channel of independent programming, I personally would expect a decrease in price, not an increase. But of course, that's not how this works...

#231 ·
What do you mean by independent? What I'm trying to find out is if you are actually missing any programming that was exclusively on TMN4. If TMN4 just showed programming that has aired, or will air shortly on TMN1, 2, 3 then no programming has really been lost.

What I do with TMN/HBO is look at the Movie Entertainment magazine that I get, highlight any premieres that I wish to watch in the movie summary list (Premieres are marked with an *), then to go the TMN website and search for the next convenient airing of that programme, and highlight that in the schedule (monthly) page. This all takes but a few minutes. Once a week I look for highlighted programmes in the monthly schedule in the magazine and put them in the PVR. I know that's "old fashioned" but it works for me and it's fast.

I tried using just the TMN website but I don't find it as useful for an overall picture of what I want to watch in the next month (or even week).

#236 ·
has anyone lost some American HD and SD channels today, namely CBS, Fox and ABC east and west coast? Is there a weather front, or is this another Anik screw-up...
Classic channel east coast line-up numbers
Receiving 284, 285 and 286 fine, lost 287, 290, 295 and an assortment of the SD versions.