Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need Luxury Cables?
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 2005-10-28, 03:03 PM
MediaRoomManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig
.....the gauge is pretty much the inportant part...............you can contribute significantly to system impedance with very long runs of speaker wire whose gauge is too small......i use 11 gauge
all around & my two longest runs are 60 ft. There is also some discussion of the use of multistrand speaker wire with say 2 pairs of two insulated wires, each twisted....can aid in noise rejection. I use 4 strand cable ( 2 pairs of twisted 14 gauge, effective 11 gauge) on all runs.
I agree, I used 14awg speaker cables (Monster cables.. actually got them on sale for $50/100ft. in US). My longest runs are around 30-35 ft. (rear channels running wire through floor/basement). I had trouble finding just a 100ft. of 14awg cable for cheap anywhere here. Using anything below 14awg for long runs is not good (compared to the report on the site listed aboe) which contribute to poor signal quality. I do agree however that using inexpensive speaker cables are all that's needed for most applications.

Did you do a custom DIY wire for that Rigpig? Sounds like a hefty wire you got, then again you've got some nice equipment hooked up through those wires.

Sony KDL46HX800, BDPS470|Pio 1020|PS3 80G|Athena AS-F1s, C1|Energy VMinis, V10|Moto VIP1232|HOne|APC UPS

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome