Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

RDS and RDS2 HD picture quality

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  goalsgo 
#1 ·
On both of those channels, the Hd channels seems to broadcast in non-Hd, like in standard definition. I have noticed this yesterday when I tried to watch habs hockey. The picture on other Hd channels seems fine like on cbc or tvasports. It is the same this morning and on 2 of my receivers (630 and 605).

I haven't called shaw direct yet, anybody else have same problems?

Thanks

#2 ·
Good day,

Yep same issue here, I noticed as well the hd quality is really poor... I suppose RDS is having difficulties with the HD , I hope they get it fixed soon. The picutre Is really awfull on a big screen and the game is not broadcast on any another HD channel...

Go habs go!

#4 ·
On Saturday I noticed the HD picture problem on RDS and RDS 2 when I tried watching the Habs game. All other HD stations were fine on our 630 and 605 receivers.

On Sunday, tuned in again for the Habs game and same problem again. So I chatted with SD and the agent told me they were aware of the issue and were working with RDS on it.

I asked him if the problem was with the satellite or RDS. He told me RDS.

By the way the game was broadcast on Sports Network and it was in HD, but in English.

#5 ·
Still the same tonight, not resolved, watching Sens in SD... On RDS HD

I wonder if this has to do with free preview that Rds is offering, if so, it will not get much new subscribers with that poor quality...

Because of that, yesterday, I was watching the superbowl on CBS detroit and they had almost no sound for the half time show at the beginning so I was stuck with either good hd video on CBS but no sound or poor video on RDS with sound....

It is at that moment, that I decided to go for more beer and chicken wings...

#6 ·
This morning still no HD picture with RDS. So I decided to call RDS and they told me the problem was with Shaw. This contradicts what the Shaw agent told me on Sunday.

Right now chatting with Shaw, the rep confirmed the problem is with Shaw and that they are working on it.

#11 ·
Since the problem is still there on RDS and while watching the habs game on sportsnet as i can't stand the picture quality... i have contacted shawdirect via chat and they are aware of the situation and working on it (!!!), no expected resolution time..... Or resolution date.

I would love to know what is the real problem and the root cause of this. More and more time that this takes to get resolved, More and more i am having a hard time to think that it is a technical problem. Rds told me that none of the other distributor is having the problem. What technical problem can cause only those 2 channels to be like that... What can it be? No spare equipement, wrong configuration of equipement? It does 't make sense to me.

#12 ·
Sometimes a provider can pick up the wrong feed from the broadcaster. In the past for example, the same thing happened with PBS Seattle and Rogers - SD channel instead of HD. Once Rogers picked up the Descriptive Video signal instead of the correct audio signal from one of the channels. Once the technicians are aware of the situation, it should be fixed in no time.

Whenever this happens to me, I send e-mails (or whatever works) to both the broadcaster and the provider. The broadcaster will usually then get in touch with the provider to sort things out, especially since they don't want irate "viewers" (even though you're paying SD)

#13 ·
On Sunday when I first chatted with Shaw, the agent told me it was an RDS problem.

Yesterday I called both RDS and Shaw. RDS said Shaw is the only one with the problem and I can believe that because if it was an RDS problem, it would be across all providers and RDS would post some on-screen banner advising they are experiencing technical difficulties.

I then chatted with Shaw and now they admitted it was on their side. They said they could not figure out the problem yet because only the RDS stations were affected. The agent said they were trying to figure out what the problem was before being able to change parts. He then said if all the HD channels were affected, they could change a part and resolve it. To which I suggested they should change the part anyway and try to figure out the problem after so we could at least get what we are paying for. He said he would pass the suggestion on.

Then I called Shaw technical support and when the outgoing message asks you to enter the channel number that is defective, I entered 240 and the recording said: "Shaw Direct is not aware of any problem with that channel." When I got an agent on the phone I again repeated my suggestion and told him their outgoing message should be changed when they know about a problem.

He said he agreed but their line is still that they are working on it and are looking to resolve as quickly as possible. It is going on 6 days now. So much for "as quickly as possible".

I can't believe that this is because Shaw is picking up the wrong signal. If this is the case, then this is truly a complete fiasco on their part.

As an aside, before this current problem, I noticed in the week before Saturday that RDS picture and audio were skipping but it was still an HD picture. Again this was the only channel doing this and it obviously snowballed from there into the current issue

Big mystery and very frustrating. 😢

#14 ·
Good evening,

FWIW... a colleague of mine who has Videotron noticed that since the weekend RDS HD isn't as sharp as usual, kind of blurry on his 70"... Anyone else heard from clients of the other providers?

Anyways you'd expect some kind of acknowledgement from RDS or Shaw regarding this issue ?!?!? .. it shouldn't take this long to figure out...

#15 ·
Back in business

I just got off the phone with a Shaw supervisor and they confirmed to me that they have identified and temporarily repaired the problem.

I just now looked at the TV and the HD feed is now working.

He cautioned me by saying that there may be some hiccups for a short period of time as they continue to look for the permanent fix to this technical glitch.

#18 ·
Here we go Again. Confirming same issue for me.
Unbelievable. Audio cutting off with image freezing on RDS2 and standard def image on RDS 240.
Pretty sure this is not equipement. This is configuration or network bandwidth issue, or signal quality type of issue from the feed, between RDS and shawdirect.

Other channels seems fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.