Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Firmware 50.25

30K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  hiljoball 
#1 ·
I just received notice on my 605 that a new firmware version is available for download. I am currently at 48.14.

I have one 600 two 605 and one 630. Haven't had any issues with any of my receivers so far. Wonder what features/fixes this version will provide.

#2 ·
From an online Chat Here are the changes

Notification tweaks
Free Preview display changes
On-screen keyboard enhancements
Tuner customizations for HDPVR 630 users

Reorganized Preferences Menu
The Preferences Menu has been reorganized and new headers have been added to further break down the customizations that can be made. Any previously customized preferences may have moved locations, but the setting will stay the same.

Notification Display
Based on customer feedback, 50.25 allows users to choose what types of on-screen notifications are displayed, based on three different levels. Note, most alerts such as dual recordings, auto-tune and reminders are not affected and will always be displayed.

Alert Advance Notice
Users can adjust the amount of time before an on-screen Alert (such as dual recordings or auto-tunes) appears – from as little as 30 seconds, up to 5 minutes. The default value is 2 minutes.

Free Preview Display
Channels that are on Free Preview now have gold channel numbers and a gold treatment around the Channel Cell in the Guide. When you tune to a channel on Free Preview, a new banner will appear indicating the Free Preview status.

On-Screen Keyboard
We have introduced an easier way to input letters into on-screen keyboards (Keyword Search or User Name entry), with alphabetical entry using the number pad on the remote. For example, press 2 three times to get to the letter C, followed by ENTER.
We also have new shortcuts for Delete (RWD), Space (FF) and Clear (SKIP BACK).

Release Notes
We have added “Release Notes” to the Status Menu Bar so that users can see what has changed in a particular software release, after they’ve dismissed the initial Welcome Screen. This has been added as direct result of customer feedback.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. So the two 605 STBs were updated last night.

Below is the on-screen notice after update.

New and Enhanced Features
-Ability to enter letters using the remote number keys, in menus with a keyboard.
-Level of on-screen notifications can be adjusted, including start/stop.
-Ability to modify the amount of time before a reminder appears.
-HDPVR 630s are now able to function as a single tuner PVR with one satellite line connected.

Additional headers have been added to SETTINGS, and some options have been reorganized. All of your previously saved settings may have moved locations, but will not be changed.

HDPVR 630 Enhancements:
-Multi-delete mode to clean up your PVR faster.
-New prompt to extend a live event's recording time immediately.
-Ability to reserve one tuner for live viewing without interruptions.
-Scheduling optimizations to make the most of your hard drive capacity.

All of your settings and content have been retained. For more details on this update, please visit shawdirect.ca .

Press ""Show Later" to be notified again in 6 hours, or "Delete" to never show this message again.
The interesting one I see is
-HDPVR 630s are now able to function as a single tuner PVR with one satellite line connected.
But if you only have one connection, you would not be able to record one channel and view another, but perhaps record one channel while viewing another recording?

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. So the two 605 STBs were updated last night.

Below is the on-screen notice after update.

The interesting one I see is

But if you only have one connection, you would not be able to record one channel and view another, but perhaps record one channel while viewing another recording?
With only 1 line connected, you can only record a single program at once. If 1 program is being recorded, a previously recorded program or On Demand title must be viewed.
You must enable Single Tuner Mode under Settings > Preferences> Tuners & Storage

#6 · (Edited)
I have used this release for about two months:

I have not had a single problem related to the release (2 x 630, 4 x 605).

The single tuner option will be useful for those with one coax line, but also will make it much easier to avoid conflicts with prime-time viewing. You can select a window during which single tuner mode is active. I set single tuner mode for prime time, and instead of manually scheduling most recordings from the US western time zone, I now let the PVR schedule generic HD recordings on any available channel.

Unless it changed in 50.25, the onscreen keyboard has the same issue as the existing search function, where a delay between keystrokes kicks off a search - and stops everything while a slow search takes place. You will have no problems if you use the keyboard quickly and without delays (stop when you want to see a result). Treat the numeric keypad like a cellphone. This will not be a problem for teenagers and millennials, but might be a problem for more deliberate (and older) folks like me who look at the screen too much!

#14 ·
The only thing I noticed is that the multi delete option comes up after you have finished watching a program. I assume it would delete anything that is marked as watched and is not protected. Just a warning to be careful that you don't accidentally delete something you have not protected.

I like the option of turning off the starting and stopping recording messages.

If the feature to have a single tuner window in prime-time is there I didn't see it but will look through the preferences menu a bit more. It may be there in a sub menu that I didn't get into.

#20 ·
My 630 was targeted today so I set it to download before I went back to work. So far, I don't have the gold free preview bars, but I guess that might come with the daily guide update. I also noted a "PPV Now" feature which seems pretty interesting. It doesn't appear to have formally launched yet. A taste of On Demand for those without internet connections to their box (and a throwback to TopUp TV in the UK in their later incarnation : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Up_TV#2006.E2.80.932013:_On-demand_and_premium_sports)

#23 ·
Huge glitch!!

All of our previous recordings are 'broken' and we can't record anything new. Just shows 0.
On hold for a real person now...
I have a terrible feeling they are just going to tell us we need a new pvr, but that obviously isn't the issue. Anyone else having the same issue?

#27 ·
End 1 minute Early

I hoped that recording for individual events could be set to END a little early in the case of THREE events overlapping by that last minute of one of the two shows. :crying

Usually the end of a show is just a teaser for the episode next week and some ads, the beginning of shows sometimes actually starts (no ads) right on time.

I know that I could use the manual timer for this, but a manual timer does not list the name of shows in the PVR list (recorded shows).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.