Kitchener CKKW discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Kitchener CKKW discussion

In a broadcasting decision handed down today, the CRTC has approved the application by CTV Limited (CTV) for a broadcasting licence to operate a new English-language commercial FM radio station in Kitchener, Ontario, to replace its AM station CKKW.

The proposed FM station will continue to broadcast an Oldies music format targeting adults between the ages of 40 and 64. Approximately 124 hours per broadcast week will be devoted to local programming. The station will broadcast seven hours and 50 minutes of spoken word programming per broadcast week, including one hour and 39 minutes of news.

As set out in the appendix to this decision, the licensee is authorized to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on CKKW for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operations of the FM station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 02:55 AM
Veteran

Reading further into the decision, the station will operate on 99.5 MHz with approx. 2.1KW.

I used to regularly listen to CKKW when I lived in Dundas, so that moving to FM will I think will be a treat for those listeners in Kitchener.

Hmmm... Where can we put CKOC Hamilton... :-)

Cameron
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 01:58 PM
Veteran

99.5 poor choice as WDCX Buffalo will cause interference.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 11:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
99.5 poor choice as WDCX Buffalo will cause interference.
Yup, all you need is a good inversion and away she goes...

Here in east hamilton, on our south-ease side of the building we'll get WDCX, on the west side, CKKW. That assignment surprised me too. WDCX has this massive coverage area. It wil be interesting to see if during inversions CKKW bites into their HD coverage...

Cameron
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-06, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Cam it won't effect WDCX HD coverage because but will effect the analog because HD radio is on either side of the analog.Here in Mississauga WKSE 98.5 sometimes takes interference from 98.5 from Kitchener but the HD is not effected.WYRK 106.5 I can sometimes receive but only in HD no analog just the Toronto station on 106.5.I bet in a year they will apply for power for CKKW because of interference.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-07, 08:06 AM
Veteran

Here 106.5 has a slugging match between AVR from Toronto and the Country station from Buffalo, or wherever it's from. Inversions here do strange things.

CHAY (93.1) from Barrie barely gets an inversion effect that's noticed until you go down to the ground floor and it gets better (?!) during inversions. Now here's the thing that many up the Muskoka area have noticed. There's been many many times I've been on the shores of Lake Joseph and noticed that I can get 95.3 Hamilton, 99.5 Buffalo, or even 103.7 Erie during inversions, but anything from the CN tower is non-existent. Interesting effects for sure, even CHEZ 106.1 from Ottawa comes though.

The mix of Digital and analogue does make DX'ing an interesting hobby again for those who have the stuff and location and antenna site.

Cameron
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 11:54 PM
Rookie

You with think the CRTC would have learned their lesson when they had KICKS 106 on the 99.5 frequency.

They had to launch a petition on their website in order to be moved to their new frequency.

And who remembers when The Zone was on 92.9 and you couldn't hear them on Victoria street during a good inversion even though the transmitter was only a few kms away on the Sportworld water tower.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-12-17, 10:22 PM

i know in my area that ckkw 99.5 does not receive clear at all there is wdcx 99.5 that comes clear always and i believe that ckkw should have a different frequency some where
other than 99.5 .because the stations cross each other as you drive in my local area and you can not hear one station consistantly.
thank you
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-08-04, 11:48 AM

I know this a very old thread, but it seemed like a good place for an update.

The CRTC denies an application to change the authorized contours of the English-language radio station CKKW-FM Kitchener, Ontario.

The application was to increase the average effective radiated power (ERP) from 1,700 to 11,800 watts (maximum ERP from 4,300 to 37,500 watts) and the effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 110.8 to 111.6 metres.

crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-273.htm
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-08-04, 01:29 PM
Veteran

"WDCX-FM is a grandfathered "Superpower" Class B FM radio station, operating at 110,000 watts." That's quite a flamethrower by today's standards. It's also carries digital so it will create more interference than an analog only station. Most high power stations are limited to 50,000 watts. I can see why Bell is complaining but they should have anticipated the issue when they obtained the frequency.

Tags
ckkw , ctv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in