Would you hold your wee for a Wii? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-18, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Would you hold your wee for a Wii?

Well, I'm not sure if you heard about this, but a radio station in Sacramento is in trouble for a contest which participants drank large amounts of water in a short amount of time and not go to the bathroom and the winner gets a Nintendo Wii. One person died of water intoxication.

This should serve as a warning to those stations who might be thinking about doing the same thing.

www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23505

Audio excerpts from the contest.
www.sacbee.com/static/newsroom/kdndslides

The station could be held liable, if you listen to the above audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 02:39 PM

Isn't this just thinning of the heard?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Maybe, but it seems worse if you were tricked into doing it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 04:23 PM

Perhaps I mispoke a little, how was she tricked into doing it?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, I thought they tricked her by not letting the contestants hear them talk about the possible dangers of what they were doing.

I mean, did you know about water intoxication before this happened?

I would have been like that caller who said they didn't do the contest because they didn't want to die.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 01:09 PM

I have heard of water intoxication but that doesn't mean she had. It was her responsibilty to research it before volunteering for the contest though.

I find it typical too that the lawyer hadn't even read the release she signed before shooting his mouth off about wrongful death.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 02:19 PM

A proper waiver will protect an organization in the case they did everything right, but bad things still happened. A poor waiver will not protect against anything. The station did nothing right in this case.

Priceless clips from before the contest:

- "maybe we should have researched this more"
- on contestents dying, "we had them sign a release so we aren't responsible"
- on the risk of water intoxication, something like - "if a person is in danger, the body will automatically throw up and they will be ok."

Thank you doctor DJ! A pharmacist can't dispense medical advice, but a DJ can. The question about risking death was raised but the station blew it off and said there was no risk because you would throw up. OOOPS!

Was there medical staff present in case of trouble? Don't think so. The station also controlled the amounts and time intervals that water was provided. That creates an appearance that they knew what they were doing.

I read about a marathoner with water intoxication and the treatment at the medical tent was simply salty hot broth. The lady who died at the contest was showing clear symptoms of water intoxication. Just having someone there who understood them and giving her salty broth may have saved her life. If she died because of a combination of water with other medical problems there was still no medical staff to attend to her.

Contestents have some responsibility, but the overwhelming onus is on event organizers and they did jack all to understand or minimize the risk from the event that was run on their terms. The station was negligent and I doubt this even gets to court.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 05:54 PM

Unless there is gross or intentional misrepresentation the onus is on the participant know the facts and dangers of what they are doing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 10:27 PM

This meets your criteria.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Spensar, actually there was no medical personnel there nor did they send her to the hospital afterwards.

And I don't think any waiver could protect the station against injury or death.

To follow up, now the family is considering a lawsuit to have the station's broadcasting license pulled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in