Galaxie and Max Trax Music Channels - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-14, 06:31 AM
Veteran

ARR,

Swedish radio have DTS 5.1 listening. Some time ago I downloaded the demo they put on at a Banff Conference and it is amazing. If we could only have something like that, wow!

If you want to learn more about it, go to:

http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446

Click English (if not already in English) on the left side menu and scroll down the page to "Banff Demo".
Download the file and copy to a CD-R (or RW), audio format, and play in your DVD player connected to your HT system.

Can you capture Swedish radio stations? Is there a way and with good digital reception?

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371

Last edited by mfabien; 2006-10-14 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-14, 01:42 PM
ARR

Actually, that's how I got started some years ago.
Then I found some newsgroups with content.
Excellent stuff.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-15, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR View Post
In general, Maxtrax tries not to DUPLICATE a Galaxie channel, but as part of the aforementioned Joint Marketing Agreement, they have both selected offerings that enhance and complement each other and brings out their respective expertises.... Ron, reading back, how about 920 Country Classics from Galaxie? (not my area of expertise)
I confess OK, after listening to it more, Country Classics, StarChoice920, is really very good.

Although the MaxTrax/Galaxie combination was supposed to avoid "duplication", the people who chose the music channels overlooked a major music format. As mentioned in earlier postings here Galaxie has "Easy Listening" on digital services that it does not have to share with Max Trax. By combining services, MaxTrax/Galaxie have ELIMINATED TOTALLY the Easy Listening format (the two-word description of format does not explain the music well -- check Galaxie website, http://www.galaxie.ca/en/1/cequijoue.php?CHANNEL_ID=37).

The MaxTrax website is pretty feeble compared to Galaxie's, and if you simply look at the MaxTrax description, you will be fooled into thinking "Memories" by MaxTrax is equivalent -- it is not. The managers who sat down to look at the music channels they'd combine must have only looked at a list of channel names without actually knowing what they played.

This brings me back to one of my earlier points: ageism -- an unconsciuos or intentional biase against people who are older. Its one thing not to duplicate a music format, its another to totally LEAVE ONE OUT. We need a channel on the MaxTrax/Galaxie digital music channel that matches Galaxie's "Easy Listening" format. That is just as important as French, Country or Classical channels. How many channels of do we really need of contemporary pop music? THOSE are duplicated.

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-15, 04:56 PM
ARR

It looks like there is only a small handful of carriers that have the 45 channel Galaxie linup with the majority taking the 20+20 package. So no easy listening is correct in the 20/20 package.

What city are you in?

Were you able to contact the programming manager?
I know they have contemplated adding some new channels, but I'n not sure what format it might be.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-15, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I opted for Star Choice for Turner Classic Movies, which I like a lot. Digital music is not an issue that could ever make me change back to Toronto's Rogers Cable (which carries the same Galaxie/MaxTrax combination anyway).

A technical question: I connect my digital box to my Home Theater amplifier, using the digital connection wire. The TV sound goes straight into the TV. Today there were digital noises and drop-outs in the digital music signal. There were no drop-outs in the analog signal from the decoder box. Could the digital music dropouts be due to the satellite signal, or something local at the satellite decoder box, or the wire? It all worked flawlessly in the past. What is your most likely diagnosis of digital music dropouts eg a couple of seconds of silence or "noise" every couple of minutes?
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 12:49 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Probably a signal strength issue, or a poor cable connection to your receiver. See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "Things to check first".

I have not encountered any dropouts on Rogers Galaxie.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 01:30 AM
ARR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron v View Post
...What is your most likely diagnosis of digital music dropouts eg a couple of seconds of silence or "noise" every couple of minutes?
How often does it happen?
Does it happen to several or all the channels when it does?
What about the Galaxie channels versus the MaxTrax channels.

Since I have technical responsibility for the playback, this info could be useful.
You can always call CORUS in Toronto and ask for the Master Control to verify the signal on their *C receiver.

There are some activities that can cause some minor dropouts, but only for a few minutes and then only 1 day a month. Those I know about and am the cause.

As I re-read you symptons, it seems the signal is OK, just the digital out.
Are you able to swap COAXial SPDIF and TOSLINK fibre Optic to see it that changes things?

If the analog is OK and at least 1 of the digital is OK, then I think either a cable connection or the A/V amp loosing sync maybe.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 01:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Are my tastes for the likes of Nana Mouskouri, The Tijuana Brass, Aker Bilk, Henry Mancini, Al Cherney, Pavlo, Walter Ostanek, so wierd that Max Trax will not play them? They make for great radio (but there, the problem is having to put up with commercials for funeral homes and retirement villages to hear them). As for Galaxie and Max Trax: if nobody is listening, there can be no feedback. How many grandparents would love a decent channel designed for them? How many voice anything when such a channel does not exist?

Max Trax and Galaxie don't offer anything meaningful to the older audience. Jazz, blues, and swingin standards are usually trying to be plain too cool for plain folk. A little Tommy Hunter music wouldn't hurt either.
I'm in my mid-50's, and though I was a 12-year-old-kid back then, I now feel that the day the Beatles landed in New York (Feb 1964?) was "The Day The Music Died". I like pre-Beatles rock,. Instead of "easy listening", I prefer the names "standards" or "adult pop". Plus I also like big band and 50's and early 60's country. I'm a paying subscriber of Live365.com. You can listen for free if you're willing to put up with commercials. They have thousands of "internet radio stations", programmed by all types from devoted hobbyists to former DJs. You want a niche, you'll find it. Some of my presets that'll probably make you drool...

MusicFromTheBlueLight easy listening, lounge, vocal jazz CD 64kmp3PRO

Playing the Great American Songbook, featuring Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughan, Ray Conniff, the McGuire Sisters, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Henry Mancini, Nat Cole, Peggy Lee, and many more

Sounds of Boston Swing swing, big band, jazz FM 56kmp3PRO

Big Band, Swing and Jazz music from the 30's to present day. Happy listening.

Canuckteach Crooners swing, vocal jazz, big band FM 32kmp3PRO

Crooners & Divas: Nat King Cole, Satch, Sinatra, Prima, Bing, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Big Bands (Shaw, Goodman, Dorsey, etc.).. amd more..!

Class of 1954 50s, 40s, easy listening FM 32k

Mostly music from the early '50's and late '40's. Much different from late '50's. Just reading "Broadcaster's Comments" at http://www.live365.com/stations/fairwind will bring back a ton of memories.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 08:58 PM

I listen to digital music channels about 8 hours a day, and I am pretty happy with the choice of channels. I find the Adult Alternative channel to be outstanding.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Galaxie is better than MaxTrax!!!

After rereading the thread of this discussion, here are the digital music stations recommended by name: Ambient, Nature, Adult Pop, Gold Rock, Adult Alternative, Country Classics, 70's, 80's. These are EIGHT channels from the mix of 20 Galaxie channels and 20 MaxTrax channels.

There was no intention here to favour one music service over the other! And I doubt listeners pay attention to which company offers the music they recommend here. Therefore, you should expect that channels recommended here to be split -- half Galaxie, and half MaxTrax.

The major surprise to me is that ALL EIGHT OF THE FAVOURITES MENTIONED ARE FROM THE GALAXIE SERVICE!!

If you flip a coin eight times, and it comes up heads eight times out of eight, the odds of that happening by sheer accident will be 4 out of a thousand. In any scientific experiment this kind of outcome is described as "highly statistically significant". Therefore, this discussion thread reveals a fact: Galaxie is is far superior to Max Trax.

Why then are the MaxTrax channels using up half the space for digital music channels on our TV services, when it is Galaxie that provides the channels people choose to listen to and recommend to others?

You need look no farther than the website of each company to see which one is putting more effort into its service. MaxTrax is left looking like the hanger-on in this.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 03:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If you flip a coin eight times, and it comes up heads eight times out of eight, the odds of that happening by sheer accident will be 4 out of a thousand. In any scientific experiment this kind of outcome is described as "highly statistically significant". Therefore, this discussion thread reveals a fact: Galaxie is is far superior to Max Trax.
Interesting comment (not very) but flawed logic - "superiority" is only an opinion. You fail to factor in only 24 replies from how many unique contributors? What is the statistical reliability of such a small representative sample?
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

This was not planned as an experiment, and what I provide above is an observation. The only thing to call "opinion" here are the sincere responses of people who took the time to make suggestions. When the opinion data are this clear-cut there is no need for a larger sample. Any professional statistician or survey firm will tell you the same thing.

This little analysis does of course make assumptions:
1. Respondents have no stake in who provides the channel they suggest (hence ARR suggestions need to be left out, and I omitted the Easy Listening suggestion because that channel is not shared with MaxTrax)
2. The method must be objective, with no intent to bias the results. And the present observations satisfy that. Certainly I, as the observer, never noticed or expected a pattern until I looked at the channels people kept suggesting.

A minor shortcoming in this little survey is that a couple of the suggestions are not "independent", i.e. one or two people mentioned more than one channel. Allowing even for that, you can check the odds at one of the many statistics tools on the internet, plug in even 6 of 6 people, and you will still have very clear statistical "significance".
To calculate, I used http://www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/binomial1.cfm please feel free plug in your own numbers.

Starchoice, your statement, "Interesting comment (not very)" more likely has the meaning "Interesting comment (disconcerting)". I personally am disconcerted that nobody mentioned any Max Trax channel. There does come a point when you need to accept evidence. Statistical analysis is the tool that scientists and businesses use to make decisions about accepting things. What we have here would stand the legal test of "beyond reasonable doubt".

The flawed logic would be to ignore the evidence and play the role of cynic. If you are aware of any better data than the above anywhere, comparing listener preference between Galaxie and Max Trax, please let us know. Otherwise, these data from listeners with good intention to suggest good channels provide the best evidence available.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 08:20 PM

BTW....the 70s channel is actually MaxTrax's channel (Flashback 70s.)
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Lightbulb What?

OK - where do I start?
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I blame the 70's glitch on the Max Trax website, which on some browsers misaligns its columns: on one of my PC's it does show "Galaxie" beside that channel.
That said, 7 out of 8 is still statistically significant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in