Internet Radio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-10-01, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Internet Radio

I'm sure this is not the correct Forum for this question but I don't know what other to use. I doubt that the IPTV Forum is correct either. If I am in error maybe someone will point me in the right direction.

Does any member have any knowledge of the new dedicated Internet radio receivers on the market, such as the Acoustic Energy Wi-Fi Internet Radio made in the UK but available here from the C Crane Co in the US. I know it's not "portable" in the sense it must be within range of a wireless network but seems to be a viable alternative to satellite which also is tied down by a need to be close to an antenna (at least for in home use).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-10-01, 03:41 PM

With the new units out now for both xm and sirus they are truley portable.You can be at home on the road it does not matter all you need is the unit.To add they both have the antenna built right in them it is very good.I have heard and looked into the internet radio units but it not worth it costs etc.

Last edited by hugh; 2006-10-10 at 12:19 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-10-09, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Internet (Wifi) Radio

My interest in internet radio rather than satellite is because I want it strictly for "in home" use. If I wanted to listen out doors then I might consider satellite radio.

I am surprised that more people have not expressed an interest in the subject, after all we are talking about many hundreds or even thousands of stations versus about 100 on satellite and free access versus monthly fees.

Sure, satellite radio is available on portable receivers but they are only portable while in line of sight of a satellite. Move indoors and one needs an antenna. The wifi radio is portable as long as it in range of a wifi system, albeit it must be connected to an ac outlet.

The price of a receiver is about the same as a top of the line satellite receiver but with no further fees.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-10-10, 12:21 AM
Member #1

Check out the HTPC including Digital Media Receivers forum.

Look for more info about the Roku Soundbridge or Squeezebox.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-10-10, 12:29 PM

I think the future belongs to WImax wireless technology.
Can you imagine when it is fully deployed all over the country, it will give you access to voip, radio, Internet, and maybe tv (it should deliver enough bandwidth) wirelessly anywhere, anytime?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-10-10, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionn View Post
My interest in internet radio rather than satellite is because I want it strictly for "in home" use. If I wanted to listen out doors then I might consider satellite radio.

I am surprised that more people have not expressed an interest in the subject, after all we are talking about many hundreds or even thousands of stations versus about 100 on satellite and free access versus monthly fees.

Sure, satellite radio is available on portable receivers but they are only portable while in line of sight of a satellite. Move indoors and one needs an antenna. The wifi radio is portable as long as it in range of a wifi system, albeit it must be connected to an ac outlet.

The price of a receiver is about the same as a top of the line satellite receiver but with no further fees.
Nope if your indoors you don't need an antena.Sure there alot of internet channel but alot of them are very unpro run.I perfer 200 good channels vs 1000 crap channels.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-11-02, 09:02 PM

I am also interested in this what player or receiver would I get? Im looking for a setup in which I can listen to stations online in another room other than my PC so a portable online radio player other than satelite radio obviously any help Id appreciate it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Internet Radio

Boozers3000

The radio I am interested in is made by Acoustic Energy in the UK and is sold in the US by the C Crane Co. I do not know if I am permitted to give you links here so I don't include one but anyway a "search" will get you to both internet sites.

The radio is a stand alone product and does not need a computer hookup though it will work with one and will, I believe stream audio, but it must be in range of a WiFi network.

I'd be interested in hearing if you or someone bought one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-12-07, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Fionn...

Just stumbled across this thread, maybe I can shed some light on the topic...

I bought one of the Acoustic Energy sets, {the little sq box thing, not sure of the model number, slanted top, blue light, and all that}, bought it during a visit back home 6 months ago.

All in all... it's GREAT, lost of fun and right now around 10,000 stations, yea sure enough some of them are crap, but you'd spend a long time looking for them...

With 10,000 stations {around 400 of them un the Untidy Kingdom} you could listen to a different station every day for the next 30 or so years !

I like to listen to WISH FM {think Wigan & St Helens} for all the Rigby & lots of live soccer games etc etc, local news you name it... but I also like to listen to BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and so on :-)

You can listen to local stations coast to coast in Canada, same thing with the US, the set has 10 presets {be better with 20} but all in all I can't fault it...

I run the thing through my home via my hi fi amp, and as long as you get the balance of the volume between them matched {the volume output from the radio at around 50%} then it works fine... if you push the set above say 80% then you will get some distortion.

I also like to listen the the Caribbean stations, South American, African, Australia, you name it, it really is a lot of fun, and I would be without it now.

Fact is, I was looking to buy another as a Christmas present, but I can't find anyone in Canada who stocks them now, sigh...

Well worth shipping in from the US or the UK, it's s great little "toy" I've always been interested in radio, from my SW radio days, but this is the most fun you can have with
international radio.

They aren't cheap, but... unlike sirius et-al, once you've bought it that's the last time you'll pay anything, no monthly or yearly subscriptions at all.

Add to that... if by any chance you find there's a radio station on that isn't on the list
then you can send the URL to AE and they will log it for you, usually within a couple of weeks.

You may also find that it workd right out of the box, in that if you don't have a wireless
modem at home you may find {as I did} the set picked up "free to air" sort of thing, from open networks, so it will work even without the absolute need for an ISP !

If there is a downside... I'd say the speakers are way too small, not enough db to listen to without going through your home amp, but... nothings perfect is it. Be nice if it ran on batteries too, but this is a table top type of radio, especially if you run it through your home audio system. I can't wait for the time when we can have truly portable radios like this so we can travel anywhere in the world {or at least in Canada and the US and still listen to a live Rugby match from Wigan :-)

If you want to buy yourself something for Christmas... this is it ! unlike other stuff sold at
this time of year you won't have buyers remorse if you get one of these...

Canada Bob, the English guy in PEI.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-12-17, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Canada Bob,

What you wrote about the AE Radio is what I expected and maybe hoped to hear. I do think I will be buying one real soon.

I have been hoping they would improve the audio as most reviews I've read refer to it as being the main weakness, but then I'm not buying it to listen to CD quality music, rather I want news, sports, and all the enormous variety of international radio.

Satellite radio is all very fine but very limited when compared to internet radio.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-12-17, 03:25 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
4 questions

4 questions:
1)With 10000 stations to choose from, how do you handle tuning?

2)I know that my Internet Radio has a delay between different computers so I cannot play it simultaneously on both PCs (wired TCP/IP) for music throughout the house. Are there delays here too (between the radio and a PC)?

3)Can you narrow cast the output signal on FM? That would solve my need to play it in multiple rooms and on better speakers. I have no IP outlet near my home theater system.

4) Are there tuners available without speakers?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-12-18, 03:30 AM
Veteran

If you want to try Internet Radio out cheaply, Dell has an SMC unit on sale for $79 (free shipping) right now.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=A0914184

I can't vouch for it, but the price is right. There's a review here:
http://www.gearbits.com/archives/200..._of_the_s.html

Mike / technut
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Internet Radio

Dell's SMC unit does sound like a cheap way of experiencing internet radio but it appears to only stream what is being carried by it's host computer, while the AE unit works independently, needing only a Wi-Fi link, your own or a local hotspot.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2007-03-02, 04:13 PM

I bought the SMC unit when it was on sale. It's probably the best value purchase I have ever made. I can stream all of my mp3s wirelessly and easily. The screen is easy to see and I love the fact that I don't have to turn on my 42" LCD RP TV to navigate.

You CAN connect to internet radio staions without a PC being on. There's a good variety of stations and I think they must be hard coded into the unit. If you do have your PC on, you can navigate to the uPnP server and also use it's internet radio stations - this is dependent on the software you are using.

Sony KFE42A10 - Pioneer VSX-919 Receiver - Hi-Def HTPC (Blu-ray & HD DVD combo drive) - Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray player
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2007-03-21, 11:20 AM

Do you have to hook the smc unit up to speakers.Or doe sit have them built in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in