In today's day and age, I still think Conventional AM FM Radio is still the best - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

In today's day and age, I still think Conventional AM FM Radio is still the best

Growing up, we never had all this fancy new technologies. If we liked music, we "listened to the radio" or if we were lucky enough to own cable, we watched music videos on "MuchMusic" (or MusicPlus if you lived in Montreal).
When you liked an artist, you went out and bought the album whether it be Vinyl Record, Audio Cassette tape, or Compact Disc. I get it that technology has advanced and those forms of media are obsolete, yes I agree somewhat.

What I do not get is people in the same generation as me (30's to 40's) who complain they have "NO MONEY" who are struggling to keep a steady job, and complaining they can not buy a house because the price is out of reach for them, yet they spend their money in a heartbeat on expensive cellphone plans, and add money on top of that for music streaming services like spotify, google music, youtube audio, tidal, or satellite radio such as sirius xm.

These young kats like to listen to music all the time like they are addicted to it especially when they do get a very professional job where they are working in an office type environment they put on their headphones and blast the music so loud that they think they are in XTC. Then they want to play their playlist while doing a road trip to the USA and complain about the expensive roaming charges on their cellphone bill.

Call me old fashioned but I still use old technologies but doesnt mean i refuse to use newer ones, I buy music online instead of streaming it, cus i can play it as many times over and over and not have to worry about the steaming site pull it down and compllain about it. plus i can play it even when im doing a road trip in the states and it wont use my data or roaming cus ive downloaded it either on my phone, or a usb flash drive or burnt it to CD-RW. and lastly when I was poor and in-between jobs I did not splurge on all this fancy schmancy technologies, i simply sacrificed for a bit until I was stable enough to pick up where i left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 11:55 AM
Veteran

If you're paying for Spotify and such, you can download your playlists to your phone while on Wi-Fi; you don't have to use cellular data if you don't want to. Even with my good data plan I still often do that with my larger playlists.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

and people do not realize this but since spotify you do not own the rights to the song just the rights to stream it, don't be surprised when songs on your playlist disappear, yes it happens often and a lot of my colleagues always complaining about it, if you like the song so much you could "purchase it" heck ive seen songs for as cheap as 49 cents on the google play music store, tis not a heavy price to pay.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 02:07 PM
Veteran

In today's day and age, I still think Conventional AM FM Radio is still the best

Really? I think today's AM and FM stations are terrible. There is too much advertising, too much corporate influence, too much government bureaucratic interference, not enough variety because playlists are prepackaged and too short, too much emphasis on singles and big name groups, too much syndicated programming and the DJs are generally bland and inexperienced. You have to listen to what the program director thinks is the lowest common denominator for the intended audience when he/she decides to play it or what they are forced to play by the government, advertisers and management. Modern AM and FM radio is designed for advertisers first. Audiences are a distant consideration. Need I go on.

Compared to buying CDs, Spotify is a bargain. As often as not, there are one or two singles on a CD produced in a studio using a big name producer and professional session musicians but the rest is lower quality filler. I used to spend $20 a week on CDs. After spending $10,000 over 10 years, I ended up with over 1000 CDs and 10,000 songs. Maybe half of those I still like and there are even fewer I regularly listen to. Spotify has over 4,000,000 songs and thousands of artists. I can listen to what I want when I want, make personalized playlists, choose from a thousands of prepackaged playlists and skip songs I don't want to hear. Just how is the bland, repetitive, corporate influenced, designed for advertisers instead of listeners stuff played on AM and FM better?

Spotify is not perfect. I miss hearing a good DJ. The DJs on local AM and FM are seldom good so that's a wash. There are some critical artists and songs missing from Spotify. There are orders of magnitude more missing from local AM and FM though. I find Spotify's playlists too repetitive and too focused on popular singles. It's still much better than AM or FM in that regard.

If I want to listen to radio with better variety, designed for listeners with a minimal of advertising that is hosted by professional, experienced DJs I head over to SiriusXM. I've been listening to radio for 60 years so I've seen a lot of changes, good and bad. There have been very successful AM and FM stations that catered to audiences and what they wanted. I have been lucky enough to listen to some of them. They have almost all been neutralized by government and corporate interference. Most of the time, especially now, they are just a vehicle to give station managers and corporate CEOs a bigger bonus each year.
Tridus, kcbrk32 and CamDAB like this.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

So tell me one thing, do you listen to music in the English Language only? if you answered YES then you are being biased towards the rest of the population who immigrated here from abroad and sometimes english is not their first language, and they may not know or like any of the current music that is on Spotify. Remember, spotify only caters to one demographic, where as Am/FM caters to more. Spotify is only music, where AM/FMis music, news, headlines, sports, talk radio, and multi-lingual radio programs too. A lot of people seem to only care about music, and seem to forget about everything else.

Theres a lot more than just music out there and if people just care about music and just the music they like, then they are kind of selfish, then by all means enjoy your spotify. But lets get one thing strait spotify will never be a replacement for Am/Fm radio until people like you and others realize theres more to am fm radio than just music, Am/Fm also has emergency alerts based on location, hm, I do not think spotify has that. Am/fm radio works in the event of a power outage by a portible radio device, which operates on batteries, spotify is quite complex and requires internet connectivity, yes maybe it works offline but needs internet initally to work and good luck using spotify when camping in the forrest in rural northern ontario with no hydro and lack of cell signal your gonna waht? just care about listening to drake all day long or gonan forget about music for a change and worry about surviving incase a severe weather or storm happens.

So spend your money wiseley
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 03:50 PM
Veteran

In the first post, you only mentioned music. Spotify has music, charts and playlists for over 60 countries and ethnicity. There is a variety of international music in my playlists. Spotify also has a variety of podcasts.

Haven't tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify worked with wireless data on portable devices when the power is out. They may also work with wifi provided the router has emergency power backup. (Mine does.) Emergency alerts and news are available on smartphones. If I'm stranded out in the bush, an emergency alert won't save me. I'll probably be listening to this drake.

Some SiriusXM players and most vehicle SiriusXM radios work when the power is out. They also have a variety of talk and news stations. The quality of programming on SiriusXM greatly exceeds what exists on most local stations. SiriusXM works in almost all North American locations.

$10/mo isn't going to cause financial hardship.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I do not have a problem with sirius xm, one of my cars came with a FREE subscription for a year, which was nice. xm and sirius have way more american content than canadian, im not saying canada is not there but is severly restricted. if you want to know whats going on in Toronto, why not tune into a local Toronto RADIO station you will find out waay more useful news and info than listening to satellite. satellite is a "nice to have" but its not a "must have" type of technology

I never budgeted in my life for paying for music, other than buying CD's when I was younger (no more than $100 dollars of purchases in a year should be sufficient. and buying songs on google play music in the current generation and even now I find im spending LESS on music than I did when I was younger. I do not see the point in spending money on something that is FREE already, except for the fact that we have brainwashed our self to live in a "I MUST HAVE THIS SONG AND HAVE IT PLAYED NOW" society. everybody is in a friggin hurry and has a sense of entitlement and wants things and wants them NOW, no body has patience anymore, they lost it out the door years ago. Society CANT STAND COMMERCIALS AND ADVERTIZEMENTS so they want to sign up for commercial free streaming services, yet when the same people have their own business and need to advertise, they spend on Advertising because it brings their products to people they normally would not do, which is the whole point of a friggin commercial. talk about oxymoron. people get "offended" when a radio station plays music that is trending, because maybe they do not like the artist having success and only care about what they like. people need to grow a pair and stop living in a "i want this, i want that" society. well actually its their money their wasting not mine. let them waste their money
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 05:49 PM
Veteran

@Paolo Do you ever get tired of telling people who use technology differently from you that they are stupid/selfish/brainwashed/racist/etc without actually doing some research? https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/24-...-good-bad.html

Like it or not (and I do like it), we've moved to an "on-demand" model for consuming media. There's nothing "noble" about waiting to hear/watch something according to someone else's schedule. The only "radio" I listen to is CBC Radio 1 and even that is streamed through my alarm clock app in the morning and not coming from a physical radio. Everything else is on-demand podcasts (which Spotify has, as ExDilbert pointed out) or on-demand news broadcasts. Your "biased" comment is nonsensical as there's tonnes and tonnes of non-English music on Spotify. Emergency alerts are now sent to cell phones and I can tell you my phone is much, much more likely to have power (with a spare charger) during a blackout than me having whatever batteries my one radio takes.

There's also nothing noble about listening to or watching commercials. I do have my own business and that kind of untargeted advertising is useless for my company. You're kind of right on one thing - it's my money, not yours, and if I see something that "I want" and can reasonably afford I see no reason to adhere to some misguided notion about patience.
Tridus likes this.

--
Neil
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 05:57 PM
Veteran

I agree, I would never pay to stream music over the internet, nor pay for sirius xm or any other "radio" service.
I do however pickup some free satellite radio on Ku satellite, and feed the audio to an AM Modulator, to play over the antique tube radios that I have restored once in a while. If there was decent AM radio programming I wouldn't even need to do that. Plenty of good FM radio stations around.
Pretty much every city has a decent classic rock station, all I need.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 06:21 PM

I listen to a lot of FM radio From Chez 106.1 to Chom 97.7 There was Dawg FM a Ottawa Blues Station that I loved but sadly it closed.

And Yes in this day in age Radio is still one the of the best.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 07:40 PM

I have to agree with the OP. There are still plenty of independently owned radio stations south of the border that have quality programming and good music.

My wife has SiriusXM in her new 2018 vehicle. When I drive her car, I switch over to terrestrial radio as there is too much chatter and adverts on SiriusXM. Cousin Brucie comes to mind. Combine this with the fact that satellite radio has a poor codec and you get the idea.

The problem in Canada has been the rape and pillaging of once great radio stations that were independently owned and operated, by either of the two large telecom companies.

When I'm out of range of favorite terrestrial radio stations, I have an extensive collection of CD's at the ready.

You can keep your low bit rate online streaming radio stations and lost packets. I'll take my high sample rate CD's any day.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Once again, I can download my Spotify playlists for times when WiFi or cell data is inaccessible. Completely ignored that fact while going on your tirade of it.

Seriously, what does us liking the convenience of Spotify and other services have to do with your disdain of them? How does this affect you personally (as it obviously must have for you to make a rant thread about it)?

Like it or not, as others mentioned, the general trend for media consumption is on-demand content. I like being able to randomly pull up a song that popped in my head and not being limited to what I downloaded to my phone. That said, if my data was used up I'd be perfectly fine with a downloaded playlist or even the radio. If a song gets removed from Spotify and I must absolutely have it no matter what (which is rare), then I'll buy it if I don't already have it.

You may not like it and that's perfectly fine, but don't think that the industry is going to stay the same just because you're reluctant to change. Failure to adapt to change is how Blockbuster folded (among other companies).

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 08:00 PM

BGY11

To each his own. If you can afford on demand content, go for it. My point is, some of us on here are old school. Some people think $50 per month for 10GB of data is dirt cheap. Given my home phone plan is about $6 per month for 2 DID's and long distance, I find cell phone plans obscenely expensive. Heck, I bought an unlocked LG G6 for my wife as I refused to pay double for it on a two year plan. It's all relative.

But when you start to add up on demand charges, broadband fees, etc. it gets to be prohibitively expensive for some of us.

I'll stick with my OTA set up for my music tastes for now. It's serving me well and sounds incredible on my old Harmon Kardon tube amplifier driving my Electro Voice Wolverine's.

Cheers,

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 08:48 PM
Veteran

Oh look, it's another Paolo "everyone who uses technology not from the 1980s is dumb!" thread. Don't you ever get tired of pretending like you're the arbiter of what is good for entire societies?

You sound like an old guy complaining about those damn kids today. It's sad.

If you like listening to terrible commercials and inane DJ chatter in your day, more power to ya. I've got better things to do, and am more than happy to pay for a higher quality product than the steaming turd pile that passes for free radio these days. Some of us just have higher standards than others.

Oh, and you talking about emergencies and radio is a joke. Last time we had an emergency out here on the weekend, all the radio stations were on automation and nobody was around to report anything. You know where the info was? Phones.
NeilN, CamDAB and BGY11 like this.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 09:12 PM
Veteran

I agree that it's not necessary to pay for radio. If you can stand the frequent promotions for the paid service, some music services have free versions. There are thousands of stations available for streaming but most of that's not local AM or FM. There are some local AM and FM stations that are passable for listening in the car. At least one of them has a decent news team. It's notable that these are not owned by the large companies that have assimilated so many independent stations into their corporate networks. It doesn't always last long though. Sometimes I run into a wall of commercials and tired Cancon. Then the radio goes off.

I've noticed that the selection in the US is vastly different than in Canada. Many stations have revived brands from the 60s, 70s or 80s and broadcast them on sub-channels or stream them on the internet. Some of these stations have no commercials and feature the original DJs. I know of no Canadian stations that do this.
Gentleman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in