Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Canadian HD Radio Station Status

87K views 266 replies 47 participants last post by  wysiwyg 
#1 ·
As of yesterday, the HD Radio feed is back in phase on CING-FM, Fresh fm, 95.3 FM

Cameron

#3 ·
No HD signal. I am surprised to learn a Canadian station has been doing HD.

Remarkably unhelpful and uninformative website for 95.3 CING.

But the few minutes I listened, sound quality was good with proper treble (unlike 96.3 Zoomer radio that plays only low-garbage MP3 sound re-recorded on to 8-track tapes.... had a long chat with them and they stuck to lying about it).

I hope it isn't cultural snobbishness but HiFi snobishness that leads me to ask why vastly over-produced pop music would ever need quality broadcasting?

Sure would be nice for CBC-2 to try HD.

I hardly ever get PBS 94.5 (1 and 2) in HD much. That is, for long enough stretches of HD between aurally brutal switches of my Sony tuner in and out of HD.

Ben

#4 ·
Has anyone in Vancouver area tried to listen to Sonic 104.9? They are advertising themselves as being in HD now. Are there anymore stations in this area of BC that are receivable in HD? I am thinking of getting an HD radio, but would like to actually be able to receive a few stations first.

#7 ·
If Sonic 104.9 (Vancouver, Rogers) is HD/iBiquity, are there others (now or planned) in HD/iBiquity Canada?

I didn't see anything at Sonic's website to suggest they are broadcasting Justin Bieber (just at this moment) in HD.

Ben

#10 ·
I was hoping that someone with an HD radio would let me know if it was really broadcasting in HD in Vancouver. I heard it on the weekend (on Sonic), and they mentioned the HD and great quality several times. I was dubious as well (I should have worded my mention of this a little differently), I was just interested in finding out if anyone on the west coast could get any HD radio signals in the Vancouver area.

#13 ·
Visiting Toronto...

Tuning around with Grundig G8 Traveler II radio I noticed a familiar racket either side of 101.3MHz....

Sure enough: CJSA-FM with HD1-4, 4 streams, first two in stereo, second two in mono....

Surprised no one caught this one before..... :)

Cameron

#14 ·
CJSA -HD toronto with 4 audio feeds

I thought CRTC was not allowing more than one audio feed.First time I am seeing it today.If CTRC allows multi audio feeds HD radio stands a better chance of surviving.

#15 ·
I was in Toronto from the 24th to 28th of this month and listened to CJSA off and on and noted that it sounded fine. HD1 and 2 are in stereo, HD3 and 4 are in mono.

Cameron

#19 ·
Agreed that this is remedial, similar to the situation with CBC Radio 1 in Vancouver where their original 690AM coverage had nasty issues in a variety of Lower Mainland spots so 88.1FM was also assigned. Ironically they later had to also activate on 88.5FM for areas further up the Fraser Valley. I can't remember the last time I used 690AM to listen to them while in the Lower Mainland. Combined with CBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 propagating from over in Victoria the CBC's two networks are well represented on the FM dial.

The Golden Horseshoe has such a crowded FM dial that it is a bit of a feat for IC to have found a frequency that gives the new service a coverage bubble in downtown Toronto.

#21 ·
It helps that the new frequency is second adjacent to another of MZ Media's frequencies, so they are able to accept interference from a co-owned station.

From Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-162
("the Department" in CRTC-speak refers to Industry Canada)

The proposed frequency 96.7 MHz is second adjacent to that on which CFMZ-FM operates, 96.3 MHz. Pursuant to the rules and procedures established by the Department,Footnote 4 the use of frequency 96.7 MHz requires consent from CFMZ-FM. This requirement may preclude the use of frequency 96.7 MHz by any other party. Consequently, the Commission is of the view that its use would not have an impact on the availability of frequencies in Toronto. Further, given the protection requirements on incumbent stations in adjacent markets, the licensee’s use of that frequency, as proposed, would not have a significant impact on the availability of frequencies outside Toronto.

#22 ·
As a fill in transmitter with limited power, it would have no effect here as CHYM-FM from the Kitchener Waterloo area is a bit choppy at ground level and rock solid from my 11th floor apartment looking northwest.

I would have preferred they buy out a major player with the amount of similar content musically being currently broadcast in Toronto across many stations, but that's another topic.

One thing with low powered stations, you need a good radio to receive them as cheaper receivers tend to "cave in" when confronted with the tough radio environment that downtown Toronto is.

Cameron

#23 ·
At 96.7 I get both CHYM-FM From Kitchener but also CJWV From Peterborough. I imagine not much will change for me in Barrie I just have to rotate the beam around but i wonder how much this will screw up CHYM in the western GTA and CJMV in the eastern GTA? Pointing the beam right at downtown Toronto gives me CHYM so I'm guessing there will be more interference there. I doubt I'll be able to pull CFZM-FM out of the noise as its only 22 watts! I can get the York University Community station CHRY on 105.5 but they have 158 watts I think.

#26 ·
From the gov approval, I gather this is meant to be a type of repeater to serve offices and buildings in the core where the AM signal has difficulty penetrating due to interference. It goes on to mention that there are no available FM slots in the GTA. Therefore any new FM stations approved would only serve very specific low-power roles such as this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.