Canadian HD Radio Station Status - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 217 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 11:48 AM
Veteran

HD radio Broadcasting

My feeling is that more consideration should be given to interference caused to close adjacent stations before HD broadcasting begins.Why should one station be allowed to cancel reception of another.Example when 94.7 Hamilton went HD I loss reception of 94.9 Oshawa.I am in Mississauga.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 217 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 01:55 PM
Rookie

Yeah one of the major downturns of HD Radio is the interference issue. My loss was 96.1 from Buffalo when both CFMZ and CJKX turned on their HD. Now that they have the Breeze format, it would been lovely to hear some of that music in and around the GTA (Jewel doesn't come close in their format, unfortunately). Went shopping for Boxing Day in Niagara during their first day of launch, there was heavy interference from the HD stations even around St. Catherine's, which is supposed to be within the 60 dBu contour of WMSX. Ironically, WMSX also has HD services which blocks out the Canadian stations from the Greater Buffalo area... Sometimes I wish DAB could have launched more successfully with support from the states. But moving to the 21st century, a 50 year old technology must be improved and this is the only way possible (terrestrially at least).
post #213 of 217 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 08:45 PM

If we had separate digital radio band like DAB in Europe the problem of interference would be solved. Since this is not the case with IBOC the only solution would be to have a set date for HD transition and have the analog FM switched off completely like it was in Norway. The HD radio technology has a lot of potential but in order for it to work it has to be regulated like it was with digital television.
Inglewood and winterwolf like this.

post #214 of 217 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 09:27 AM

@ogorek - I think once all the TV signals that can be re-assigned are gone (There is the current re-pack, then I think we will see another round or two forcing channels to share signals/broadcast towers) then we will see FM radio come next.

The frequency ranges and total bandwidth of FM isn't as desirable as TV's old UHF band, but will one day.
post #215 of 217 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Has anyone else noticed that CKIS-FM (Kiss 92.5 Toronto) has stopped displaying album art and is only showing their logo now?

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
post #216 of 217 (permalink) Old 2019-03-27, 08:20 PM
Rookie

Blame the end of Tagstation. Many stations in the states who relied on their services also lost album covers and logos. https://tagstation.com Kiss and both Fresh (now Energy) was using their services for logos and album covers. But I think Kiss brought back their logo, when a song isn't playing, it sometimes shows. Also shows 680 News and 590 the fan from their side channels.
post #217 of 217 (permalink) Old Today, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
99.5 "KFUN" CKKW now in HD Radio

Had some tropo improving things this morning.

CKKW-FM from the Kitchener area now sporting an HD1 with artist / song info as well as station moniker on HD1. No addition HD subs noted.

I guess the auto-switch in HD receivers prompted this as WDCX from Buffalo caused havoc with their HD signal during tropo events.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in