Canadian HD Radio Station Status - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #196 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

CIRV at 88.9FM in Toronto is now broadcasting in HD Radio with 4 HD streams.

This is the SECOND station that will NOT DECODE HD1, while the other 3 streams decode perfectly on my new iHD-TX1. (Audiovox)

On my older palm sized HD Radio, HD1 goes silent and then locks up the radio.

Something in the new broadcast setup of HD Radio is flummoxing both of my receivers. This isn't a very good sign for HD Radio compatibility.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 06:28 PM
Veteran

There goes my reception of CKYY 89.1 and WBFO 88.7.Stations should have to apply to CRTC before going HD when there are adjacent signals that will be effected.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .

Last edited by rob50312; 2018-08-30 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling
post #198 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 07:06 PM
Veteran

They do have to apply to the CRTC I'm sure - but obviously CKYY is considered out of your listening area since otherwise there wouldn't be a first-adjacent signal present. As for the US station, it's been proven before that the CRTC really doesn't care about their reception here in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

post #199 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 07:14 PM
Veteran

I have LOS on FM fool to CKYY so obviously I am within there reception range.The GTA has literally dozens of stations on first adjacent to each other. Its so mismanaged.

post #200 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

CIRV 88.9MHz seems to have dropped their HD since I first noticed it.

I have been unable to use the Industry Canada's search tool for some time as it comes back with no results. It worked last year. So I have no idea if or when CIRV had applied for HD authorization.

The inconsistencies between receivers and stations being received is an irritant.

Cameron

post #201 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 06:58 PM

But in the meantime, CKFM cranked up their HD again but CHUMFM stayed quiet, with no HD (again with the 2 AM side channels, CFRB/CHUMAM). When will Bell decide how to properly tune their HD transmitter on the CN Tower so that it doesn't start another fire but provides the greatness of HD technology that they invested so much in, hmmm....
post #202 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-09-13, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
They do have to apply to the CRTC I'm sure - but obviously CKYY is considered out of your listening area since otherwise there wouldn't be a first-adjacent signal present. As for the US station, it's been proven before that the CRTC really doesn't care about their reception here in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
The CRTC does not regulate the frequency spectrum -- that is done by ISED (The former Industry Canada).
That said, the international frequency coordination treaties are the ones that say that there is no protection for domestic signals of foreign stations. (As opposed to international shortwave stations.)
post #203 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-09-13, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

In reference to post 201...

My new-ish HD radio gets all three HD streams.

My older HD handheld radio gets HD1 and HD2 and chokes on HD3, which it didn't on previous Bell installs of HD Radio on both 104.5MHz and 99.9MHz Toronto.

Updated CODEC's maybe?

Cameron

post #204 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-09-18, 09:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
Looks like the HD signal is gone again on CHUM-FM (104.5 TORONTO).

Also it appears that they have messed up their Radio Data System as well since it is no longer displaying the artist or song information and instead it is only displaying their new station slogan/format.
Looks like everything has been reconfigured and CKFM-FM is now in digital with the HD sub channels of CFRB on HD2 and CHUM-AM on HD3.
post #205 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-09-20, 02:24 PM

CFMZ 96.3 has started their HD operations! I'm sure the classical music sounds much better in HD. 2 side HD channels, both rebroadcasting CFZM, one in stereo (the HD2) while the other in mono (the HD3). No text on the HD operations, hopefully that gets up and running soon. Now WMSX will definitely not have any chance to come in the GTA as it is squeezed between 2 HD stations... I wonder the amount of interference this may have with certain fringe areas like around Niagara...
post #206 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-10-02, 09:21 PM
Veteran

Lost 2 more stations,Mix 96 and WYRK both very noisy at home in Mississauga.In car Mix 96 is gone and WYRK replaced by noisy 106.5 in Toronto.So no gain just loses.

post #207 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-10-04, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

HD3 on CFMZ is now gone.

Before it went, it went from mono to stereo.

My newer Audiovox radio decoded HD3 whereas my older palm sized Insignia radio would only decode HD1 and HD2. HD3 stuttered into silence once it went stereo. In mono, it decoded.

I will soon be posting about the current reception of HD Radio in this area. It's a mess. :-(

Cameron

post #208 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-11-02, 07:44 PM

I look forward to reading CamDAB's reception report, in the mean time not owning any type of HD receiver is it worth getting one for home use or do internet type streams cover it all anyways?

Is this going the way of Dab radio or do you think that the terrestrial stations that broadcast with it are serious about seeing this format through to success?
post #209 of 246 (permalink) Old 2018-11-02, 11:42 PM

My opinion would be that most stations are using it as a mean to get over the reception/audio issues of AM radio, as most Canadian HD2/3 stations are AM rebroadcasters or if they are ethnic stations, they are leasing their HD2/3 side bands to different ethnic music operators (similar to SCMO operations). Is it gonna be successful? I'd look at how "successful" the technology actually has been in the states. Most stations in the US use their HD side channels as a way to get around regulatory restrictions such as getting extra FM rebroadcasters or discounts in paying licensing fees for their internet broadcasts (ie, most of iHeartRadio exclusive channels are HD2/3 stations). Similarly in Canada, although the CRTC regulates the market more strictly than the FCC, they see the technology as a way to get around FM/AM reception issues or sell additional ethnic programming. Personally, I would prefer if HD operations in Canada had more exclusive twist to it, like it did in the US when it first launched in the mid-2000's, with many exclusive music programming (and how DAB stations are in Europe). Unfortunately, due to the price of the HD Radios back in those days, the technology never took off and companies decided it was better to use it as a means to complement the old FM/AM technology and/or to bypass regulatory rules. Folks gotta see content worth investing in, like satellite radio has, in order to have it to become successful. I was in Rochester, NY recently and one of their stations owned by Entercom, 97.9 WPXY, has a really cool HD2 exclusive station with a Modern AC format called [email protected] (nowhere to be found streaming online). Too bad these exclusive stations are not common and hard to find as well. Back in Toronto, 93.5 CFXJ whose owners recently became Stingray, has submitted request to ISEDC that they are going HD. Does this mean there will finally be exclusive music content produced from Stingray on HD Radio? Only time will tell!
okmrbh likes this.
post #210 of 246 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 09:08 AM

Rythme FM 105.7 - CFGL French language radio station in Montreal started testing in HD format again. They were testing last year but turned off the HD transmitter due to technical issues. We provided a reception report to the station last year and received a lengthy email from technical manager explaining all the technical issues they are having with HD transition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in