CHFI 98.1 Toronto Audio Quality Change? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Question CHFI 98.1 Toronto Audio Quality Change?

Has anyone else noticed a change in sound quality from CHFI 98.1 in Toronto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-06, 03:24 PM
Veteran

How recent?

In recent weeks I've notice they've sounded a lot more compressed and not as good as before.

Is this what you're referring to or something more immediate?

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-07, 03:46 PM
Veteran

I would agree that CHFIs sound quality has gone down.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

The change I noticed was over the past few weeks. The best way I can describe it is that it is a "duller" sound, kind of flat and unexciting. CHFI used to have one of the better sounding radio signals for pop/rock stations in T.O.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 02:20 PM

Quote:
In recent weeks I've notice they've sounded a lot more compressed and not as good as before.
Curious. I get why stations compress audio when streaming over the internet but what is the benefit of compressing FM signals? (is it an attempt to sound louder than competitors?)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-12, 11:40 AM

^

That's exactly it. Stations want to sound as loud as possible, so that the sound can be more clearly heard in a variety of listening situations. Radio stations are often played in buildings at very low volume, as one example.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-12, 11:52 AM
Veteran

^^^^
CHFI has certainly gone downhill over the past several years. It used to be my favourite station, but now I don't listen to it anymore. The programming started changing in the late '90s from an adult oriented format to whatever it is now. I recall listening to "New Age" music on Sunday nights (where I learned to dislike Kenny G. <g>) and found it a nice way to relax before starting a new work week. I really enjoyed Don Daynard and Erin Davis in the morning and also Don's oldies shows on Saturday night and Sunday mornings. Now, I don't remember how long it's been since I last tuned to CHFI. It's been at least a couple of years. This loss of audio quality is just one more reason to avoid them.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-12, 05:23 PM

CHFI changed format some time ago. Started around 2000 (after Daynard left) but become even more edgy about 5 years ago.

In the 80's and 90's CKFM (99,9) and Chum-FM (104,5) ruled the roost with an AC format while CHFI was third with a softer AC sound ( I think it was called Beautiful Music and then soft rock). For some stupid reason CKFM moved to an edgier sound and lost its title. CHFI quickly moved over to an AC format and CKFM really suffered. Over the last 15 years, Chum-Fm went more HOT AC which really left the AC category for CHFI hence why its now Toronto's #1 station for Share and Reach.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-06-13, 04:52 PM
Veteran

From my perspective CHFI has recently shifted again and now I find that with some variations, 92.5, 95.3 (Hamilton), 96.7 (KW area), 98.1, 99.9, 102.1 (a recent shift again), 104.5, 105.3 (KW area), 105.7 (St. Catharines area), 106.1 (KW area) are all essentially playing similar stuff with subtle variations.

With lopping off of the top end, the volume (FM deviation, technically) can be cranked hard against the limiters.

Even 94.1 CBC Radio 2 sounds horrid now.

I do sometimes get this feeling that this is being done intentionally to move people away from listening to FM radio.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in