majortom ..tnx for the info. That bad cap/resistor combo find was by accident. It was more than a year ago so my memory is fuzzy and the notes I made don’t help yet. I was checking the voltages to try to compare them to those I could read on the schematic (hard to read the print on the schematics). When I touched pin 7 (Plate) on the first EF89 (6DA6)(Ro702)the AM stations came in full strength. I don’t remember how that lead me to the cap/resistor problem. Re an external FM Ant.. did that.
I don’t have a tube tester but have extra good tubes on hand. They worked OK in the other radio so assume they are OK.
Also.. on this radio, when on shortwave ( which works) the FM tuner (separate knob) is used to fine tune the SW band and that works OK.
We are currently using it on AM and will wait til cold weather returns (or more AM problems) before having a serious go at it.
In the meantime ..I’ll do some reading.
I managed to purchase a downloadable English schematic (about $4.00)from TheSchematicMan.com
Tnx again for the info.
Ted Rogers' father (yes, Ted Rogers of Rogers Cable/Wireless) invented the battery-less radio. I used to work for Rogers...and I wish I'd taken some pics of their classic AC radio collection before I'd left the company. They have an impressive collection.
In my opinion, tube radios have the cleanest sound....much better than transistors.
Yeah that's a pretty famous collection so I've heard.
Chazz, just guessing, but thinking ya may find another cap or cap(s) that have expired themselves. Of what type was the one that caused the AM problem? If Paper/aluminum construction, like these.. if there are more like it in the set, I would just replace them all. As they are all probably leaky by now, even if not, they will all fail likely sooner than later anyway.
This article written by Phil Nelson makes for good reading.
Yes majortom, it was similar to those you have displayed. It was not one of the can type. There are also some small metal covered caps, about 2 inches long by 3/8 in diameter as well as more of those similar to your picture
There are also some small metal covered caps, about 2 inches long by 3/8 in diameter as well as more of those similar to your picture
I would probably have to see a picture of the metal covered to identify those.
But if ya have more of the Aluminum/Paper construction sealed with wax, for sure those gotta go. Especially get rid of any in the Audio Power Amp Circuit. Hate to hear of one shorting some day frying the audio output transformer.
BTW, I save those as the wax can come in handy for re-stringing the dial cords.
Adding a little wax on the cord helps to keep the cord from slipping on pulleys, etc.
what I have been doing is host PICs on my own dropbox account.
Then copy a "public link" to one of them in to a message.
Highlight the http://.../... and wrap with CODE
Tags. Then edit the PHP CODE Tags to be PHP IMG tags instead. Then the image will appear in my message.
K, the caps u highlighted in red Font are probably electrolytics.
Look to see if ya can see polarity markings on them, usually in the form of the negative lead being marked somehow.
Ya could probably replace 4 uF with 4.7 uF the nearest modern Value.
1uF ya should be able to find easily as a modern value.
LOL..good eyes majortom .. I meant to mention that, I had the tube out while checking the schematics against some component locations just to verify I had located the correct ones. I noticed that it was not there after having taken the photo and putting the radio back together and back in service ..without the FM.
I'll have a look at the FM section when the weather turns colder .. too much going on outside for now.
Often times fixing these old radios we are faced with replacing hard to find cosmetic items. The 1935 Philco 144x I have is no exception. The grill cloth was torn and faded. Was able to locate this Chevron pattern cloth from Radiodaze in Mendon, NY. Been holding out to see how other more experienced folks had made out with the same source. Feedback was good from others so I ordered on Saturday, showed up today.
side by side with the torn/faded original.
Installed: Have never replaced grill cloth before so may not be perfect.