CBC 1010 AM Calgary - transmitter relocation - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

CBC 1010 AM Calgary - transmitter relocation

I hear that the CBC Radio 1 1010 am service has now been relocated to a new site east of Chestermere lake from it's old site near Mckenzie Town. This was due to the building of many new structures in the Mackenzie Town area causing potential problems with reception from the old broadcast site. The new site has been in operation for about 3 weeks. I don't know if anyone is aware or has experienced any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 12:29 AM
Veteran

That would explain the frequent off-air moments at night a few weeks ago. I was wondering what was going on as the FM frequency was fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 02:26 PM
Premium Supporter

Been receiving it OK as I drive around. A touch more interference around the LRT and similar infrastructure but that's to be expected giving the transmitter's new ex-urban location.
And I have to add that for analog AM radio, the sound quality is excellent.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 03:06 PM
Premium Supporter

At the end of 12 p.m. CBC Calgary radio news, the presenter apologized for a weak signal on CBR 1010. She said the station is working on the problem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes - engineering is completing work at the new site. The weak signal may have been due to the testing of the low power backup transmitter which is also newly installed. I seem to remember that the power output is about 10% of the main 50Kw ERP unit. This would account for the CBR weak signal related announcement.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 02:09 PM
Premium Supporter

Well, there was just another announcement at the end of the local CBC radio news a few minutes ago. The presenter said the station was having technical difficulties on 1010 and CBR was indeed running on a backup transmitter. She said people were working on the issue and she apologized for the inconvenience.
To be fair, if they're using their backup TX right now, I can hardly notice a difference in the city, day or night. It must be more noticeable in the out reaches of CBR's coverage area.

Last edited by downbeat; 2013-01-06 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 11:22 PM
Veteran

There does seem to be something going on. On my Grundig G8 Traveller II I can see the signal strength jumping around a fair bit. While other local stations are at a steady 25dB (the 2nd number), AM 1010 does seem to drop to 12dB a fair bit before going back up to 25dB. The first number usually stays between 65-70dBu. It's possible it could just be the distance to the transmitter but given that other local stations have more stable signal strength I don't know.

I do also notice the audio is a bit distorted as well (compared to how it usually is). That could just be me though.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:57 AM
Veteran

The first number (dBu) is the signal strength, the second is a more interesting number that, although characterized as "S/N" or signal to noise ratio, does indicate more like "quality of reception" factor, and if it was simply S/N, should technically have a minus sign I would think.

For AM and SW, the second number does end up at 25, and I've never seen it higher than that.

On FM, things get interesting. I've seen signal strengths top out at 72dBu and for most stereo signals devoid of multipath, the "S/N" varies from 44-55. One exception was CBC radio 1 in Kingston... I was on Via Rail and it hit 75 on the dBu display and 75 on the "S/N".. Never got it to repeat that on subsequent Via travels to Ottawa. :-)

For strong multipath riddled signals, I've seen dBu's of 35-55 range and "S/N"s of 07-18 before they become tolerable... And yes, the more processed a station is, the lower the "S/N" can show... Interesting to observe...

That 60-70dBu by the way is quite strong, for any signal received.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in