Which is the BEST Home FM Antenna you can buy - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I am very sorry I am from Ohio 43567 and I am tiring to bring in 88.9 FM.

Like I said I can pick it up on my car radio with a whip antenna, but I ca not bring it in with my in house YAMAHA radio.

Last edited by Boy Named Sue; 2011-07-02 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 11:56 AM
Veteran

cool, here is ur fmfool plot. I don't see an 88.9 there, but there are some stronger local signals close by to it, WYSA 88.5. That might be part of your problem. i.e. receiver selectivity. Maybe try a simple antenna outside that doesn't have as much gain, to minimise the signal from the strong 88.5, moving the antenna around to find a good spot for permanent placement. Something like a folded dipole which would be bi-directional.
Or , keep moving the outdoor antenna ya have just installed around so it doesn't have as good Line of Site to the strong 88.5. If ya can minimise the strong 88.5 while still getting some signal from the distant 88.9 you might be in good shape.

A pre-Amp / or "booster"will likely wipe out the desired 88.9 with an even stronger amplified 88.5 right next door to it.
In which direction is the transmitter for 88.9? can't see it on ur fmfool report.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

It is Southeast.

Or you can go East and pick up another station that has the same programing on it an that is 89.7 and I have the same trouble with that station. I can drive 10 miles east and can pick that up in my car also

Notice I can drive ether East or South 10 miles and I can pick them up. 88.9 going South and 89.7 going East.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 12:20 PM
Veteran

that's good, because a simple dipole or even the directional antenna ya have now should be picking up less signal from the SW direction when the antenna is facing Southeast. If your receiver has a signal strength indication, try tuning to 88.5, and move the antenna until minimum signal strength indication from 88.5 while still facing 88.9. 88.5 Might be too close and too strong to notice any difference though. Can you physically see the transmitter antenna from 88.5 there, probably at ~ 2.4 miles away? Maybe even try lowering the outdoor antenna closer to ground level, like your car.
That will reduce the amount of signal getting in from the strong locals also. Enough to receive the weaker desired station?? Dunno, but test, test, test and hopefully you will find out.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 01:55 PM
Veteran

These are both very weak stations. Interference from 88.5 on 88.9 should not be an issue since it is two frequencies away and also low power. The issue with 88.5 is that the signal is extremely weak due to it's low power and distance.

The signal from 89.7 is stronger but still weak. The issue with it is the much stronger signal on 89.5 which is an adjacent frequency. However, the 8 element yagi should be able to overcome that by using proper aiming. That's why I recommended a rotor. With adjacent signals, it's sometimes possible to get a better signal by aiming a null point on the antenna at a stronger adjacent signal.

When tuning in weak signals, set the receiver/tuner to mono mode and turn signal muting off (these functions are often combined.) That will allow the reception of weaker signals and better antenna alignment.

Another thing that might help is a tunable FM filter. These can reduce the strength of powerful signals that may cause interference on weak signals.

I would put the FM antenna as high as possible. Lowering the antenna is more likely to cause problems by weakening the already weak signals further while still leaving closer signals strong enough to cause problems. FM tuners can overcome a number of reception issues on their own as long as the tuned signal is above a certain level.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

To better understand my set-up I have a pole that is 20 feet in the air with a HDTV antenna on the top of it beside the end of my house. We feel that the Winegard HD6055P is a very good antenna.

I would like to know about the tunable FM filter. Where do you place this? What do they cost?

As you can see I am not a Pro at this stiff, So I came were the Pro's are.

I would like a tower but not at a $1000.00 cost. So we are tiring to work with what we have.

But I will use the best equipment out there to bring this station in.

What would be my best options to go to, the station of 89.7 on the EAST or 88.9 on the Southeast?
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-02, 03:35 PM
Veteran

It's difficult to tell which station will be easiest to receive. 89.7 should be better but the signal on 89.5 could cause interference. Trial and error is the only way to tell for certain.

I would hold off on the FM filter for now. First, see how things work out without it and find out if there are any overload issues that need to be solved. They are sometimes available from companies that sell TV and FM antennas. There is also a company named Tin Lee that custom builds high quality TV/FM filters but they are not cheap.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-03, 11:52 AM

Great Information guys.

I am trying to get more involved in this area, as well.

Recently set-up a "radio antenna" in my attic. Dipole -- 5 feet on either side -- just hooked up to a TV balun. Scanned in 46 FM stations on my computer TV/Radio tuner USB -- mostly stations around Toronto and Niagara.

Paid $3.25 each at CdnTire for two Tomato stakes and cut off the plastic green coating to leave the bare aluminum rods.

Difficult to move around something so large (in the attic.) Thought if I ran a separate line from the attic to the basement, I could listen to some football games this summer and fall without anyone bothering me on the main floors.

We live close to some big Hydro towers that sometimes cause static for some stations to the west and southwest.

-------------------

No HDTV radio, but I think that point will come in time. Rather than taking my computer to the basement all the time, I would like to find a good tuner (USB, Ipod docking -- not just AM / FM, but also capable of satellite / internet radio and HD radio).

Can anyone recommend anything to look at?

------------------

Thought in the short-term, maybe just a marine (boat) tuner may suffice for what I want.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-03, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Does this make you up set when one radio can bring the stations in clear and than you get one that will not bring them in clear?

Now you know what I am going through. Not fun at all!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-09, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Can I ask what is FM dipole? Not really up on this kind of stiff.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 01:39 AM
Veteran

BNS...
Quote:
Can I ask what is FM dipole? Not really up on this kind of stiff.
It's just a dipole antenna, cut for the FM broadcast band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna
In case ya wanna try making one, it's one of the simplest antennas to design and build. which is why they sell for like 3 bucks or less, at Wally World, Radio Shack, etc.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-FM-Antenna
The only benefit I can think of in making one versus buying one would be:
a.) learning experience
b.) more importantly you can design/build it for the exact frequency you want, rather than what someone else thought you might want.
Realistically probably wouldn't make much difference if ya made one, but it's still fun to try.

What I was referring to with the windshield comment, is if ya noticed, some cars don't have whip antennas. They have a dipole antenna instead, usually in the rear window, ya can see it just above the rear defogger. Looks like tape with wires on the glass, in the form of a dipole antenna.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 01:46 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Easy to remember: dipole = di (two) pole (element) = two element antenna
Code:
Element (Pole) A                        Element (Pole) B
<--------------------------  -------------------------->
                          |  |
                      FM Radio Tuner
With two elements, we put one in one direction and the other in the opposite, trim them to the perfect length for the station(s) we want, and we are good to go.

On cars a monopole whip antenna is used because the ground plane of the vehicle behaves as an imaginary second element to give the same effect as a real dipole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in