Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for a new main router
View Single Post
post #33 of (permalink) Old 2015-08-14, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Mediaman09
Rookie

It would appear that ASUS Merlin does what I need .

Also per their web site, its interesting to note that do say that "While Asus has now integrated the OpenVPN server and client support into the official firmware, the Asuswrt-Merlin implementation retains some additional flexibility, such as the ability to configure two separate server or client instances."

For an ASUS router, I am more comfortable with Merlin (over dd-wrt) as somehow its ASUS sanctioned. Also more brick-proof, so they say. On the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, I would only use dd-wrt and only if I needed the functionality.

So the my latest plan is:
  • Disconnect, and park for safe keeping, the Netgear R7000 (now my main router). Don't want to touch yet in case I need to roll back to it.
  • Connect the ASUS AC68U and upgrade from factory to ASUS Merlin firmware
  • Configure it as a main router, radios off, static IPs, static routing, OpenVPN Client, etc
  • Once proven and working, redeploy the Netgear as an AP. No need yet to flash it to dd-wrt just yet.

Lots of diversity here with the two different routers each with their own stock and own third party firmware.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome