Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Windows 10 w/ OTA Live + PVR TV Support

25K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  lunear 
#1 ·
With the demise of Media Center not being ported to Windows 10, I am wondering what I should use going forward. I just installed Hauppauge WinTV 8 which seems to be a big step up from 6.4 and 7 but it isn't Media Center. Although it does have WinTV Extend.

I am hoping to continue to run Win8.1 w/ Media Center and dual boot it with the free upgrade to 10 and experiment with replacement recording software.

#28 ·
In my case, I relegated an unused Win7 HTPC to be a dedicated media server. It does the PVR recording and serves TV to other HTPCs and media players. I have no doubt that at least one of those will be running Win10 in the near future. That way, only the media player on the HTPC needs to be Win10 compatible. I will be testing Kodi on Win10 sometime soon.

Another option may be a Linux distro such as MythBuntu for the VM or back end PC.

#35 ·
Yeah I saw this as well. Interesting to say the least. I read through part of the thread on MDL but didn't make it to the end. They were trying to sort out the red tray icon record button and guide data which is broken for some even on 7 / 8.1 installations. (not for me for some reason #itjustworks)

Three files where hacked / changed (hex edited) to make the thing work. Makes me wonder if SFC would pick them up and what about updates? Also, not sure how MS is going to react to this. Will it be the same as the Aero / Win7 games / desktop gadget hacks that are out there that have been pretty much left alone, or does WMC deserve special attention?

#36 ·
As I see it, Kodi is just a front end. You need a back end to DVR.
Whatver back-end you choose, you still need to provide an EPG, with nothing (I know of) straight legit and free like WMC.

If I hear of some solution with a legitimately free (no XML scrapers or PSIP) EPG, I'd like to know.

#38 ·
I'm not sure how many people are using WMC under Windows 10, but I thought I would update this thread. In late July, I successfully installed Win 10 on my old Win 7 Home Premium partition and used my Win 8.1 Pro licence key to make sure I got the Win 10 Pro version. Dual boot with Win 8 works fine. I have mainly been using Win 8, but I tinkered with Win 10 on the weekends.

I used the alternate branch of the WMC installer (version 8.8.1 by user T-S.) following the readme instructions. Then I ran Peter Near's fix to turn on the ATSC flag for Canada. IMPORTANT - Peter Near's BAT file doesn't work if you "Run as Administrator" - just click it to run. I set up my Canadian postal code and my dual tuner Hauppauge 2250 works fine for OTA and the guide works. Note: I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the manufacturer before installing WMC, just to be on the safe side.

I installed the Win 10 Anniversary Update on Monday and one bonus is that the 5.1 audio now works in WMC. Previously, it was just playing stereo.

It appears that the Anniversary Update unintentionally broke the ability of U.S. CableCARD users to record protected content like HBO. Microsoft seems to be changing the way they handle DRM in Win 10 and since WMC isn't being maintained, the PlayReady module no longer works for protected content. This doesn't affect Canadian OTA users since we couldn't do that anyway.

I still plan to keep the Win 8.1 partition as a hot backup in case something happens to WMC in Win 10 in the future.

#40 ·
If you are running Win 10 WMC, the MDL thread recommends uninstalling it first and that V8.8.1 has the best uninstaller.

The installation is the same for Win10AU, just ignore any PlayReady errors. I don't know if there any issues with network tuners such as the HDHomerun, but I think there are ways around that as long as you aren't using Cable CARD.

#41 ·
Thanks. I used this patch and now WMC is working on Win 10 again. But I can't get any TV EPG info. I've tried the old tool which hacks WMC and add CANADA ATSC, but still get nothing. Can anyone tell me how to get the TV guides?

#43 ·
I have used NextPVR but it updates TV guides very slowly. And I can't make the NEXTPVR plugin for Kodi work either.

I also tried SichboPVR, the UI looks very cool, but no audio/video, and no guide either, except that a few channels show guide for one hour only. I have tried to change the setting of decoders, but still can't make it work.

so far the most useful software is EASYHDTV, but it is not freeware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.