Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Canadians are ¯stealing¯ U.S. Netflix content: Bell

View Single Post
post #83 of (permalink) Old 2015-06-12, 11:55 AM
CSA60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
But isn't that like the head of NBC admitting that he has CBS? Netflix and Crave have different content (or at least that's what I thought).

By the way, Showtime in the US is going directly to the consumer. Those deals the US content owners struck with Bell Media for distribution rights in Canada are not forever and there may be out clauses (very likely they have out clauses). If going direct works for Showtime I could see it working for HBO, too. Right now there is one show I want to watch on HBO, and that's GoT. But I refuse to sign up to The Movie Network @ $25/month to get it. I've considered just signing up for one month and watch them all on demand (have to verify that the latest season is available On Demand first). They usually have a deal where the first two months are half price or something like that.

In any case, I'm sure I'm not the only one who chooses not to get HBO precisely because of the cost/content ratio. Would I subscribe to HBO on its own for $10/month? Probably not as I still have young kids in the house and, let's face it, there isn't a single show on HBO that is kid-friendly.

I really like the Netflix arrangement where I can watch past seasons of shows. Sure, you miss the week-to-week discussions on the message boards, but you also don't have to wait a week between episodes or the dreaded 6-8 months wait between seasons (for some shows). And, yes, that applies to most "Netflix Originals" as well.
Quick Question wprager: How do you access VOD? Is it still the low quality version that is only accessible on a computer (as Bell has still not provided an app for any of the mainstream TV streaming devices as far as I'm aware)?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome