Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cogeco Channel Discussion Thread

94K views 200 replies 40 participants last post by  denben73 
#1 ·
#60 ·
Cogeco made another mistake regarding CNN, HLN and CNN International in announcing by messages sent to Tivo customers that they were added. They are supposed to be added by June 30th. Zap2it lists 183 as CNN International (SD) and CNN HD and HLN HD on 808 & 809 respectively.

Still no number yet for Action HD.

I would have thought that with all their analog channels being shut off over all the Ontario systems that it would open up LOTS of bandwidth which may be the cause of the slow addition of some HD channels. :frown

#62 ·
They up and running here in Windsor as of sometime overnight. They weren't there yesterday evening. CNN International is also listed but I don't sub to the International News pack, or whatever it is called.

#65 ·
Cogeco has added Stingray's Ambiance channel on 300. The channel is apparently in HD but it is squished into a 4:3 frame. All my other HD channels display properly. Cogeco recommends I call support...not my account and I don't see how it could much of a difference. Honestly, not a big deal since we might watch it minutes a month.:wink I recommended they move it to 800 to put it with the other HD channels but that is not the point of this post.

But anyone else in Windsor or any other Cogeco system getting the same experience? I seem to recall some customers were getting the same issue with WWE when it was released but I have no idea what happened.

My DVR is set to output to 16:9 and 1080i via HDMI. Even I change the output to Native it makes no difference. When I did that, I noticed my TV was showing the display as 720p so it is being sent to us in HD.

#67 ·
I would have thought it would be on channel 715. However, I don't think you have it from what I have found online. Cogeco has the Buffalo stations in SD but Detroit in HD. I thought that wasn't "allowed" anymore.

#68 ·
It was allowed originally by the CRTC because Buffalo WNED was not in HD whereas Detroit was. This was to be for a limited period of time until Buffalo went HD.

Why it's been allowed to go on for ages like this is beyond me as I was on Cogeco prior to moving and not having Buffalo in HD was a major irritant.

Cameron

#74 · (Edited)
I would say the lack of WNED HD is because they are probably getting their feeds from Shaw as a BDU, and Shaw doesn't have WNED HD. I'd love the same on Shaw Direct, but it will never happen! I know Rogers had WNED HD, back when I had their cable a few years ago.

EDIT: I don't know how the CRTC views this but I would love to know. I suspect they don't care as long as at least one feed is in HD. Shaw Direct doesn't even have a PBS West feed in HD, though there is space in the guide for it, so perhaps in the future...

#70 · (Edited)
What is the delay with Action HD? I don't get this. They've been saying it's coming for two months now but delayed. :confused:

Is there a technical reason? Bandwidth issue? Even when they were planning to add CNN and HLN's HD feeds, there was a delay before they appeared.

You know, with all that spectrum that has been opened with the removal of analog services across almost all of the systems, you'd think we would be getting a bunch of missing HD channels. I'd list them but you all know what they are. ;)

Also, anyone know how they get a deal in place for CNN HD, CNN International and HLN HD but don't get TCM or Peachtree? Seems strange.

#71 ·
While I am reading and keeping up with the TiVo related thread, I'm wondering...

Does anyone have any idea which channels are delivered via SDV? HD and SD? Same for each city?

:confused:

Is there a way to tell in the settings of the DVR if it is tuned to a SDV channel or not?

#72 ·
Fox sports racing ch.742

Just noticed that FOX Sports Racing has been added on CH. 742. Not sure how long it has been there for but I noticed it while flipping through the sports channels this afternoon and I know a lot of people were asking about this channel to be added to replace the Speed Channel.

#75 ·
Disney Channel is now on in SD on 497 (???) and HD on 849. No sign of the French version in Ontario.

Why the (???)? Who the heck decided to use that location for the SD version? You got the SSP running from various channels from 431 to 496 and then Disney at 497. What? Channel number 3748 not available? :grin

No guide info or Channel label yet for either one.

CN is now duplicated on 98 and 106 in SD and 723 and 854 in HD. It's possible this is temporary though.

#76 ·
CHEX switch to CTV

I'm in Cobourg and for several years we've had CHEX Peterborough as our prime CBC-HD channel on 702. For some time it wasn't even in HD, apart from pass-through CBC network programming. The only way to watch CBLT Toronto was on SD channel 5. At the beginning of September 2015, CHEX changed from being a CBC to a CTV affiliate, so now 701 and 702 have identical prime time programming. I've recently discovered, quite by accident, that CBLT-HD Toronto is now available on channel 807.

I have two questions: (1) Why has there not been a peep from Cogeco by either e-mail or snail mail about this major channel change for Canada's English language national network? (2) Why hasn't CBLT-HD been put on Channel 702, as it is in other Cogeco areas, such as Burlington, and CHEX banished to the wilderness of the 800s for the few people who watch local programming in the off-peak?

Has anyone else been missing their fix of Coronation Street in HD, or had any kind of communication from Cogeco about the change?

Another question: I subscribe to Flex Pack News 2, which is supposed to include CP24. That channel has never been available in Cobourg, in either SD or HD, yet it's available in other Cogeco areas, including nearby Peterborough, in Ottawa on Rogers, in Timmins on Eastlink Cable, and nationwide on Bell and Shaw satellite systems. Why can't Cobourg have CP24 when there seems to be so much bandwidth available for multiple shopping channels and minority cable programming? Cobourg and Port Hope have an increasing number of retired former residents of the GTA.

#77 · (Edited)
While I can't speak for Cogeco, I do see other instances where you are left scratching your head about channel placement.

Look at CTV2 in the 800s and PBS Seattle on 810 with all the other Canadian and U.S. broadcast channels being in the low 700s. CTV2's placement seems even more silly now that 705 has opened up. Also, wouldn't 703 CBLFT make more sense with all the other French HD channels in the upper 500s?

As for cable channels, who decided to put Disney Channel SD on 497. I bet a lot of folks were never able to find it until Cogeco said the channel number.

Cogeco is seriously in need a re-alignment but I figure it won't ever happen. Shuffling channels is something that causes many customers to get rather upset, and that would be putting it nicely.

There is only one Shopping channel. The Shopping channel channel in SD shows up 4 times in the IPG but is the exact same feed, on the same physical channel - no extra bandwidth used. Same thing for two Cartoon Networks (2 in SD and 2 in HD) now plus 2 TSN2s (2 in SD and 2 in HD), 2 TSN4s (2 in SD and 2 in HD), 2 MFests (2 in HD) and 2 TMNEncore2 (2 in HD) feeds. Extra stuff to scroll through for no reasons.

As for CP24, I find it odd to have had it in Timmins...of all places but not down here.

#79 ·
TVCOGECO, a network in Québec that is now fully HD

TVCOGECO, a division of Cogeco Cable Canada, has just finished converting its network of local TV stations to high definition (HD). As a result, Cogeco's customers can now watch exclusive HD content on both channel 555 and Cogeco On Demand channel 602. The technological upgrade of 15 TVCOGECO stations carried out over the past five years across Québec represents an investment of $5 million.

#81 ·
Has anyone heard whether or not Cogeco is working on bringing in any of the Turner channels (other than CNN) - or are they all still feuding? I still cannot believe nothing is being offered. Perhaps they believe there is no market at all for TCM and Peachtree and just aren't bothering. Also, has anyone heard if anything is happening on the AMC HD front. I would have thought for sure that it would be up by now. Thanks.

#82 ·
The CSRs say "they are working on getting it, and know there is lots of interest for it". That's for AMC HD and TCM.

If we have CNN HD, HLN HD & CNN International, there must have been some kind of progress but why and how they got those and not the other two is strange.

As for AMC HD...I can't help but wonder what AMC wants for it. When we used to watch it, we would often see crawlers along the bottom of the screen about possibly losing the channel for such-and-such customers. They always seem to be in a dispute with someone somewhere.

The last thing of any substance was a message from 2 weeks ago that said, "Cogeco is planning to launch several other HD channels in the near future" in response to the promised then never added Action HD.

We need a Cogeco insider here.:wink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.