Majel Roddenberry, 76: Star Trek's Nurse Chapel has died - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Unhappy Majel Roddenberry, 76: Star Trek's Nurse Chapel has died

Quote:
ROBERT JABLON
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES – Majel Barrett Roddenberry, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's widow who nurtured the legacy of the seminal science fiction TV series after his death, has died. She was 76.

Roddenberry died of leukemia Thursday morning at her home in Bel-Air, said Sean Rossall, a family spokesman.

At Roddenberry's side were family friends and her son, Eugene Roddenberry Jr.

Roddenberry was involved in the Star Trek universe for more than four decades. She played the dark-haired Number One in the original pilot but metamorphosed into the blond, miniskirted Nurse Christine Chapel in the original 1966-69 show. She had smaller roles in all five of its television successors and many of the Star Trek movie incarnations, although she had little involvement in the productions.

She frequently was the voice of the ship's computer, and about two weeks ago she completed the same role for the upcoming J.J. Abrams movie Star Trek, Rossall said.

http://www.thestar.com/Entertainment/article/556088

In my mind, the role most people would associate her playing is Lwaxanna Troi - Deanne Troi's overbearing mother on TNG

RIP Majel Roddenberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 10:40 AM

i shall remember her best as the computer voice.

lwaxana troi was surely the most annoying recurring character in the series.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 11:20 AM

A stunning woman - fairwell.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-12-20, 05:36 PM

Sad to hear. She'll live long in our hearts.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-12-20, 07:58 PM
Veteran

No doubt, Majel was the longest serving Star Trek actor in terms of continuous service. I enjoyed her as No.1 (however briefly) and as Nurse Chapel to Lwaxana Troi (the role I think she was born to play) to the voice of the Star Trek computer. When I googled her, I hadn't realized that she was also part of the Star Trek Animated series. She also played a part in bringing Earth: Final Conflict (can't say I was a fan) to tv. I had also forgotten that she played a memorable role (Lady Morella) in an episode of Babylon 5, quite possibly one of the greatest sci-fi series to-date. So rest Dear Lady. You have accomplished much and left your mark on this world.

Tags
majel roddenberry , star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in