The Big DHC Barbecue Thread :) - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of barbecue/grille would/do you prefer?
Portable Charcoal/Wood 18 13.43%
Portable and/or Small Propane 29 21.64%
Portable Electric 0 0%
Built-in and/or Large Propane 33 24.63%
Natural Gas 38 28.36%
Built-in Electric 0 0%
Built-in Charcoal/Wood 10 7.46%
I hate barbecueing, you insensitive clod! 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 03:36 PM

She still puts them in the freezer. I didn't say they were frozen. Actually, I should have formulated that another way then how it was in my post. Bottom line is that she puts them in the freezer, takes them out and cooks them cold

Squeezing the meat with a spatula is a no no on bbq, restaurant grill, frying pan etc. It gets all the juices out and leaves you with dry meat. It makes me cringe when I see people doing that.

Quote:
By the way, I'm replying to oldyellr.
Just realized that ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 04:03 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstercaster View Post
I believe the secret is how hot your grilling grates get as they are the one leaving the marks. That's why I'll let the bbq heat up to 600 degrees or more and then wait an extra 5 minutes or so.
Wow, 600F is very hot and yes, that would easily leave grilling marks. That temperature may be easily achieved on a propane BBQ, but my Natural Gas BBQ's thermometer only goes to 550 and I usually get it up to 500 for grilling steaks. I like Montreal Steak Spice which I rub on about an hour before cooking and put the steak back in the fridge. Then directly from fridge to BBQ cooking only 3-4 minutes a side. We cook one steak for the two of us (usually T-Bone) and I eat the outside edges (med-rare) and give the inside, near the bone to my wife who likes it rare.

For Hamburgers, I also start them very hot to get the grilling marks, but turn down the BBQ right away to lessen the flare-ups and so the burger is not burnt/rare, but grilled/medium-well.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #258 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 04:06 PM
Veteran

600F to 650F is where I go as well for steak and I put my grill as close to the fire as possible (height adjustable). I just love to see it on the table sizzling while resting.

post #259 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 04:24 PM

No I don't squeeze them. It's probably because the grill hasn't cooled enough after the preheat on high to burn off the crud from last time. I find lean burgers don't flare, but will stick if I don't brush the grill with oil first. The reason those steaks flared was they were dripping with oil. I'll know next time. The reason I asked was because I see a lot of people using a spray bottle of water, which doesn't work for me.
post #260 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 04:27 PM
Veteran

I used to use a spray bottle long ago and quickly learned that it doesn't do anything. If it stops the fire, it's only for 2 minutes until more drippings from the meat come down. The trick is to get your temperature right and clean your BBQ regularly. If there's lots of cruds below and the drippings pool in spots, it will ignite. Don't just keep your grill clean, but clean everything below as well once in a while.

That's where a lot of people don't realize where money goes for a good grill. I could take apart my old Broil King Sovereign, clean it and put it back together in 30 mins. It was a pricey grill, but everything could be taken apart and replaced it need be. Many cheap grills don't give you that flexibility. Everything is screwed on and the screws will fuse with the heat.
post #261 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 06:11 PM

I find my steaks/burgers will stick to the grill if I try to flip them before they are good and charred. Also, I press my steak into the grill to maximize the contact. But then I let it sear and seal. No juices are harmed this way. It works well for me. But I like my steak medium. It may not work if you like it rare.

For my burgers I rarely cook just ground beef or use BBQ sauce on the exterior. The BBQ sauce is mixed inside the burger at my house. They are very moist and can be well cooked without drying out.

Nothing worse than seeing that rose colored interior of a burger at a friends house.
post #262 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 06:13 PM
Veteran

My burgers patties are a mix of ground beef and ground pork (50/50). The family loves it.
post #263 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 07:19 PM

Another question: I like to flip my steaks and burgers 3 times to get a diamond pattern, but most instructions I've read say just flip once. Probably no big deal for burgers, but what about steaks?
post #264 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 07:25 PM
Veteran

I flip my steaks 4 times so each sides get a diamond shape. I buy all my steaks no less than 1" thick and no more than 1 1/2". At a temp of 600F, I give the steak no more than 2 minutes per flip while my wife's steak requires 2 1/2 mins per flip. I stopped trying to use the thumb-flesh trick as I can never feel it right. I use temperature and time.

And here's a nice article about the different cuts of steaks: http://broilkingbbqblog.com/2013/06/02/make-no-misteak/
post #265 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 12:42 PM

I usually flip my steaks once. I put my steak diagonally on the grill and get my sear marks then turn the steak diagonally the other way to get the diamonds. Then flip the steak and cook till they are done, usually medium rare. I only care about achieving a pattern on one side of the steak as the other side will be facing the plate.

One good trick for flare ups is to have a "safe zone" on your bbq. On a three burner grill, you turn one down to minimum or off and leave the two others on high. If there's a flare up, move your meat to the safe zone.
post #266 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 02:06 PM

How can you get a diamond pattern flipping your steak just once, unless you have a diamond pattern grill, or do you only cook one side? Okay, I see you're only cooking one side. Never seen anyone do that. But I like your suggestion about keeping one burner off for a cool zone.
post #267 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 08:46 AM

He is cooking both sides. But he rotates before flipping to get the desired pattern.

I never bother to brand my meat.
post #268 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 12:44 PM

Exactly. I rotate the steak before flipping. It has just become a habit, specially if we have people over for dinner. There's always a "woooahh" reaction when you bring the steaks in and they see the diamond pattern. So it's only really just for show.
post #269 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 02:49 PM

Quote:
There's always a "woooahh" reaction
I could make a meat joke here but I won't.
post #270 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstercaster View Post
Exactly. I rotate the steak before flipping. It has just become a habit, specially if we have people over for dinner. There's always a "woooahh" reaction when you bring the steaks in and they see the diamond pattern. So it's only really just for show.
Okay, that would satisfy the instruction to only flip the steak once, not 3 times like I do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in