The Big DHC Barbecue Thread :) - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of barbecue/grille would/do you prefer?
Portable Charcoal/Wood 18 13.43%
Portable and/or Small Propane 29 21.64%
Portable Electric 0 0%
Built-in and/or Large Propane 33 24.63%
Natural Gas 38 28.36%
Built-in Electric 0 0%
Built-in Charcoal/Wood 10 7.46%
I hate barbecueing, you insensitive clod! 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-15, 09:35 AM

Hey Marc I am a bit confused. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

In your earlier post you said you got a deal on the Vision Grills Kamado and the last post said you really liked it. But the last line said you traded it in for a Broil King Keg? Confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-15, 09:40 AM
Veteran

I really liked it at first, but when practicing at holding a solid 225F, I had problems with the ash drawer. It leaks a lot of air along the seams and googling the issue, there are many others reporting the same issue. Apparently, Vision Grills fixed it with the 2013 model, but apparently what I got was the 2012 model. Then again, some had to mod their 2013 model for even better seal.

So I got a Keg instead and applied extra heat proof caulking around the bottom damper. I brought it up to 650F yesterday to sear some steaks. I could put my hands on the outside shell and barely feel the heat. It's that much better insulated. I also like the fact that it fits with all accessories of the large Big Green Egg so I also got the BGE plate setter (used it to make some ribs on Saturday).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 954728_411934078924739_227364413_n.jpg (89.6 KB, 100 views)
post #243 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-15, 09:58 AM

Ah thanks for the clarification ... and delicious picture.

post #244 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-15, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Lighter fluid was "just what you did" and you loved that petroleum flavour in your Hot Dog.
Bacon grease smeared onto a lump of charcoal, wrap it up in newspaper and light it up. Finally, a good use for the bacon grease jar!!
post #245 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 12:32 PM

To anyone with a charcoal grill/smoker who doesn't own the Weber Rapid Fire Chimney, get one. Well worth the investment. 3 balls of newspaper, a lighter and voilà. It heats your charcoal/briquettes very quickly.
post #246 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-20, 04:56 PM
Veteran

For low and slow cooking, the Weber chimney lights up too many coals at once. I prefer to use a small mapp torch to light up one coal and let the BBQ spread the burn to more as required using the allowed airflow. I just ordered a Pitmaster IQ120 for more control on the burn.

I prefer to control my burns and the chimney gives too big of a start.
post #247 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-28, 02:39 PM
Veteran

A pretty good episode of "Good Eats" from the Food Network dedicated to BBQ. It finishes with a demo of the IQ110 which I use for slow cooking over the Keg. Pretty good episode if you're curious about serious BBQ and smoking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=bTXXnqt0I1M
post #248 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-29, 01:57 PM

Thanks for that link MarcP. Very informative. I learned a few things by watching that video.
post #249 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-07-31, 11:23 PM
Veteran

Secret to a well seared steak...

post #250 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 02:47 PM

Don't know about that last one... All I've heard throughout the years is never cook cold meat, it makes it tough. She gets her steak out of the freezer??? I don't usually have any problems getting sear marks on my steaks, chicken, pork, you name it. I take the meat out of the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking, sprinkle salt and pepper or other seasoning on it, usually 15 minutes before grilling. Wait till the bbq reaches around 600 degrees and throw the steaks on and voilà, nice diamond shaped sear marks every time and pretty quickly too. If steak is not done after I get the sear marks, I'll close one burner and finish cooking with indirect heat. I believe the secret is how hot your grilling grates get as they are the one leaving the marks. That's why I'll let the bbq heat up to 600 degrees or more and then wait an extra 5 minutes or so.
post #251 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 02:52 PM
Veteran

I have heard tons of different techniques. I don't think there's one solid method. I've heard (and tried) of blanching steaks before grilling and had success with it. In the video, she doesn't freeze the steaks. She firms them up. I don't do that, but it's one more video out there for the curious ones.

Today I'm doing St-Louis ribs using the 3-2-1 method. The keg is solid at 225F using the IQ120.
post #252 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 03:21 PM

You have to take some of those grilling videos with a grain of salt (no pun intended). They all have something to offer and precautions to take. For a long time I'd marinate my steaks using a product called 20 Minute Marinade, or something like that, that I got at Zehrs. When I couldn't find it anymore, I started making my own, a 50/50 mixture of plain and seasoned meat tenderizer I got at Bulk Barn. The steaks were tender, but didn't taste as good as ones at a good steak house. From reading and watching all the advice above, I figured the marinade was waterlogging the steaks and steaming them instead of grilling them. Maybe I should have thoroughly dried them off before grilling.

Anyway, yesterday I grilled some without marinating and I dried them off thoroughly, then seasoned with just salt and pepper and applied canola oil. I probably had too much oil because I ended up with a big flare-up and they stuck to the grill anyway. Next time I'll use very little oil on the steaks and rub it on the grill instead.

Here's another thing. I've seen lots of people use a spray bottle of water to control flare-ups but whenever I've tried that, way when not-so-lean hamburgers cause a fire, all I've managed to do is spread the flames and make them bigger. Any suggestions?
post #253 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 03:26 PM
Veteran

I cook my burgers between 400F and 450F. No flare ups. You're probably going too hot.
post #254 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 03:32 PM

I don't think I'm going too hot, at least, the results have been pretty good so far. For things that take longer to cook, I do cook to lower temperatures. For example, I'll usually sear chicken to "lock" the juices in, then turn off a burner and finish cooking it on indirect heat. I have to admit that it only works with thicker steaks though. Thinner steaks need to be cooked on lower heat otherwise they are cooked through in no time.

I pretty much never get any flare ups even when cooking at 600 degrees. I usually only get flare ups if I'm using a marinade on my meat but it's not something I use very often.
post #255 of 298 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 03:34 PM
Veteran

You don't squeeze the patties with your spatula, right? That would squirt a lot of juice, cause flares up and be a horrific treatment of good patties.

By the way, I'm replying to oldyellr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in