Don Cherry FIRED!! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 31Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-11, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Exclamation Don Cherry FIRED!!

Announce with in the last hour Don Chery has been fired by Sportsnet/Rogers for his"algit" racial comments.

Depending how you view it his comments on Saturday where considered racial towards those of minority(migrants of certain colour & religious).

True you may say "freedom of speech" and he's intiled to his views.

Except those from the military,Legion and even war veterans stated it was racial.

Personalty I think they where, but that's just my view and others may differ.

Don't want this thread to turn it a racial dispute, so please lets be civil and courtesy towards everyone views.
nfitz likes this.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-11, 09:40 PM

He was talking The people, has LIBERALS, no poppy people. I don't think it was racial.

I'm Sad he was fired but he can now enjoy his retirement.
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-11, 09:40 PM
Veteran

His remarks were insensitive and I doubt Cherry could back them up with real facts. I've frequently heard much worse in some of the workplaces I've endured and nothing was done about the individuals involved. I still hear worse on TV from some people south of the border and they get away with it as well. Despite our reputation for politeness, there is a lot of bigotry and discrimination in Canada. Cherry's remarks may be insensitive but not as bad as some of the stuff I hear. (Some of it turns my stomach.) I suspect that the decision to fire Cherry was made because the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council was overloaded with complaints. That puts a lot of pressure on Rogers to do something in response.
denben73, flaminghomer and gzink like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 11:37 AM

His so called pal Ron should also be turfed. Only interested in his own self preservation. As for
Cherry..its time to go!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Sad how the world now works. Right or wrong he was talking about recent immigrants and what does the 'news' use to discredit him, the fact that indigenous and immigrants fought during the 1st and 2nd wars, etc. That was not his point at all. People today have different attitudes, including a lot of homegrown Canadians so how you can use 100 year old news to prove he was wrong is SO sad. Fake news. There is no logic in todays reasoning. They say he cannot prove it and yet they are not proving otherwise. He just said something not PC so he is wrong. What a bunch of ignorance and stupidity going around.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 03:15 PM
Veteran

This was not a one time thing. Regardless, it was way past time for him to retire.
flaminghomer likes this.

--
Neil
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 05:13 PM
Veteran

About time. I've been hoping he'd go since the 1980s.

Sad though, that they kept him around so long, despite knowing he was such a racist.

And he finally said something that was so racist that no one could possibly claim otherwise ... even then, I bet that if he'd apologized in the morning, he'd still be there.

Now they should fire everyone else at Sportsnet and CBC who knew he was racist in the first place ...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question

He may have certain views, but I'm not sure he's a actual racist again other ethnic groups.

Yes his comments may of seemed racists and perhaps they where, but I still don't he's a racist.

There are so many individuals in the NHL that come from different ethnic groups and I don't see him disrespting those from different countries?
Gentleman, emmy1500 and FrankTurbo like this.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 08:43 PM
Veteran

There is no reason to tune in to HNIC without them two...
Always been entertaining. No matter what they say.

I won't be watching any longer, that's for sure...
Gentleman, emmy1500 and FrankTurbo like this.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 09:44 PM
Veteran

Re what DC said, anyone who doesn't wear a poppy during the remembrance period shows disrespect, regardless of their ethnicity.*
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 09:56 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but he never mentioned any race or racial group, why did so many people and media stretch what he said into him being racist?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 11:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47 View Post
Re what DC said, anyone who doesn't wear a poppy during the remembrance period shows disrespect, regardless of their ethnicity.*
What?

I'm yet to see anywhere with a poppy box this year. A couple of recent years I've gone out of my way to find one, and lost it within 48-hours.

If they were universally available, like they used to be, maybe.

On the other hand, soldiers died to protect freedom of speech and choice! There's more than one way to show respect.
flaminghomer likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 11:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
There are so many individuals in the NHL that come from different ethnic groups and I don't see him disrespting those from different countries?
Seriously? He's been mocking Europeans, Russians, and French Canadians for decades. A selection: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...v-11-1.5355810
LONSat and flaminghomer like this.

--
Neil
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-12, 11:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
There is no reason to tune in to HNIC without them two...
Always been entertaining. No matter what they say.

I won't be watching any longer, that's for sure...
I watch HNIC for the... hockey? Am I in the minority?
faston likes this.

--
Neil
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-11-13, 09:46 AM

It's funny how people never boycott any companies for ripping them off over the years but for firing a racist, oh ya lets not watch them again.

I'm surprised he wasn't fired long time ago. Times have changed, you either get with the program or pay the price.
LONSat likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in