Standard Time, November 3rd - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By whitbyterry
  • 1 Post By LONSat

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-26, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Standard Time, November 3rd

Here's your annual reminder regarding standard time, which comes around Sunday, November 3rd at 2AM this year. It appears that more and more people and countries are discussing the possibility of staying on the same time. If this happens here, I hope DST is chosen to become the new "standard" instead of standard time.

Don't forget to turn your "clocks" back one hour before going to bed Saturday night. That's, of course, any timekeeping devices that don't get their own signal or are programmed correctly to change the time appropriately.

Some older devices may not change on the proper date since we have one month more DST since 2007. For those older devices with incorrect firmware, I have them set to "manual" instead of "auto DST" and I set them manually twice a year. You could see if there is new firmware available for your older devices. Some older devices may change to Standard time the last Sunday in October for this reason (old firmware). Set those to "manual" if possible.

For items with new firmware, you may still need to enable "auto time zone (or DST) updating" or similar functionality. Some devices have a sequence of button presses to change to/from Standard Time, rather than changing the actual time, although it's a good idea to check the accuracy of the time.

On Sunday morning check all your devices and make sure that any PVR scheduled recordings are still set up properly. Some devices like telephones may require you to turn them off/on or will reset with the first incoming call, etc. For many people with digital devices, this may require digging out those operating manuals.

Whenever I purchase a new device with an operating manual, I also download that manual from the manufacturer's website to my computer and put it in an appropriately-labelled file.

PVRs:

For PVRs, it's probably a good idea not to set any new recordings for after the time change until November 3rd if possible. Many PVRs, due to the way the firmware works (or doesn't work properly), do not set new recordings well right around the time change. Most PVRs should handle series recordings properly since this time change is nothing new, but again it's a good idea to check on Sunday. Some scheduled recordings may currently show the "incorrect" times or "incorrect" programmes because they may be off by an hour when viewed before the time change. These should self-correct on Sunday morning. The different firmware on different devices from different providers will/may handle all these issues differently.

I'm posting this early because some people are already seeing these sorts of effects on their PVRs. For example, the "timers" or programme listings for Rogers' IPG and the AnyPlace or Ignite web application for Computer/Browsers may behave differently from the Apps and the PVRs themselves. Also 1AM may appear twice on Sunday morning - their way of handling the change.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-26, 11:55 AM
Veteran

It's probably a good idea to set a 60 minute extension on timers that start after 2am on Sunday morning. Depending on when the PVR adjust for EST, they may or may not start an hour late.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-27, 02:24 PM

I would definitely vote in favor of permanent DST but not standard time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kcbrk32 and Norman_C like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-27, 02:53 PM

I say split the difference and be done with it. Compromise it in the middle.
denben73 likes this.

LONSat
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-27, 05:21 PM
Veteran

Ontario will probably wait until nearby states change. If NY and Michigan go DST or EST all year then Ontario will likely change for cross-border trade with those states. NY and other northeast US states would benefit the most from year round DST. Parts of Michigan and Northern Ontario could suffer from being too far ahead of solar time.

Quote:
I say split the difference and be done with it. Compromise it in the middle.
For Ontario that would be staying on EST all year. Toronto is already a half hour ahead when on EST. On DST it is 1-1/2 hours ahead. I'd prefer EST all year since I never get adjusted to DST no matter how I try.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 03:49 PM
Veteran

@ex_dilbert: Please explain that last sentence ("1/2 hour ahead") and give us an example. As far as I know Ont. is either one hour ahead or behind of the neighbouring time zones and one and a half hours behind Newfoundland.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@reidw : It has to do with the actual position of the sun in the sky for a particular location. For example, if you're in the far west of a particular time zone, the sun will set much later than if you're in the far east of the same time zone. I used to love it when I lived in Calgary because the sun didn't set until very late in the summer. This was due to being in the far west of that time zone, although being further north also had some effect.

Same thing for Spain. I loved it there because of their location in the time zone. Conversely, the sun set much earlier in say Croatia or Poland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Spain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T...2008_UTC+1.png zoom into any location you like:

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 05:16 PM
Veteran

True noon or solar noon is defined as when the Sun is directly overhead. 12:00PM is what you would see on a sun dial calibrated to true north. That occurs at about 12:30PM EST, clock time, in Southern Ontario so we are already about 1/2 hour ahead. On DST it occurs at about 1:30PM or 1-1/2 hours ahead.

On EST, Ottawa is probably the closest to solar time of any major city in Canada. Montreal is also close. EST is quite a wide time zone for political, not scientific, reasons. The western extremes of Northern Ontario are about 1-1/2 hour ahead, close to the center of CST. Extreme eastern parts of Quebec are well over 1-1/2 hours behind real time, farther east that Halifax which observes AST.

Greenland is even worse off. It spans 5 time zones but 90% of it observes one time, WGT. Then it jumps 2 or 3 hours for some small zones on the east coast. Geographically, western Greenland is in the EST time zone but end extends just one time zone short of GMT. A small part of it observes GMT, the same time as London England. You can get "jet" lag just by traveling a few miles on the ground. By comparison, Canada spans 6, almost 7, time zones but observes 6, counting NST. There probably should be another time zone for the Yukon since it is about an hour west of BC which also observes PST and is up to two hours ahead.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-31, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Also look at China. That whole huge country is on Beijing Time at least officially.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in